Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: registration/smog for Oregon... experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

registration/smog for Oregon... experiences?

Hope to tackle the process during 2024. I'm from Santa Cruz, CA, so the laws are different here (Eugene, OR).
    My biggest concern is what they heck they require smog-wise. Tomorrow I'll check with DEQ (environmental quality dept).
    Building a USRRC style with BP 347 carbureted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not at that point yet, but DEQ is for '75 and above. I was going to register as a replica so hopefully that will eliminate that pesky item. I have not heard of any issues registering in Oregon.
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    I now know more by week end: DMV in Junction City, Oregon says I simply need to present the Cert of Manufacturer AND the metal tag/plate with the VIN# also engraved on it (Oregon uses the assigned s/n by the MFR for the VIN) and the form stating it IS a 'replica' car... and they issue a title. They don't even need to see the car, just those pieces.
    Further, the Dept. of Environmental Quality (DEQ) has no dog in this fight, meaning: no particular smog equipment is req'd AND no smog testing. Portland areas and Medford areas are different.
    Also, there is no vehicle inspection, though the car has to conform to the NHTSA federal req'ts for things like lights, horn, mirrors, window safety glass -- the stuff that Factory Five already addresses, essentially.
    Doesn't look like there is any 'use tax' levied either, just ~$120 for one fee and another $130 or so for a related fee. I don't recall the specifics, but it's trivial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you guys know a thing or two about registering a FFR Kit car in Oregon. I live down in Medford and Im just about to receive my MK4 Kit in early June. Now is the time to make sure I can make easy adjustments in my build to ensure a quick and painless process. Any suggestions in addition to what you mentioned above would be greatly appreciated.

@Grubester you mention that its different in Medford, Do you have any additional info... I hear it's pretty easy down here as well, Just a DMV inspection? If you have any other info, please share!

Post Thanks / Like
    My face-to-face with DMV people really helped.
    It was clear that the counties that contain Portland and also Medford have some additional req'ts.
    These requirements are at the DEQ level -- not sure DMV itself has additional req'ts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Further -- Congrats on a kit about to arrive!!! Mine will be a ~month after yours.
    Good to know some Oregon folks enthralled in the Mk IV experience!
    Met two Cobra-guys at Function 4 Junction yesterday. One was a special build by Pacific Roadsters (north of me)
    and the other was an FFR car. Both were exemplary of excellent work. My wife and I had the FF car started up
    and it was LOUD. It remined me immediately that my effort to bring the exhaust out the back will continue with design ideas.
    I know, it will take away from the expected Cobra experience, but I was tired of side exhaust with my '65 GT350 cars.

Anyway, I'm guessing you don't need a DMV inspection, but you'll be wanting to confirm that first-hand.