Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What do you want or Intend to do with the 818?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make it a show car

2 1.90%
  • Make it a track car

25 23.81%
  • Make it a drag car

1 0.95%
  • Make it my weekend / sunny day car

40 38.10%
  • Make it my secondary daily driver

43 40.95%
  • Make it my daily driver

27 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Serious Question and Poll

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Serious Question and Poll

I would like to ask the question what is your "Personal" 818 Dreams and Goals!?!?

I would Like this Thread to be about people sharing their 818 Dreams.

1. How often will you drive this car?
    2. Does anyone else in your family want you to have this car?
    3. Do you intend to build it yourself or with friends or have someone else build it?
    4. Are you currently looking at any other cars to buy at the moment, Kit or Not?
    5. Are you going to Race this car, if so where at what class etc?
    6. Will you put a Heater or AC in the car?
    7. What state do you live in and will this effect your purchase?

The purpose of this is to share Ideas and also help each other grasp why you are planning to buy and build an 818 and what you want to do with it once built.

Thank you all and I hope we all learn a lot.
    Last edited by Hankl; 06-15-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been wanting to get a new car...
    I have been looking at a new 4 door wrangler or the 818...

I will definitely like to fit in AC and Heat
    I would like this to be my daily driver but will probably have a secondary car as well.
    I am single so the choice is solely mine.
    I will build it myself but still not sure if i wanna buy the parts separate or get a salvage car...

I also wanna design Rollup windows for it from using another cars system.
    I would like to have shaved door handles with Shave Door Actuators ( i have used on other cars)
    Sound proofing
    I would love it if there is room for 2 or 3 gallons of milk with another person in the car... but that might be wishful thinking
    I will also change the steering wheel to something more simplistic and fitting with the looks of the car.

Installing Windshield wipers will also be a nice add on.

Personalized plates are a must

I live in Hawaii and they just passed a bill where you can have Kit cars Legally.

Does anyone know what the Color will be when it is released or if there will be multiple colors?

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of days I work from home, but I'm usually onsite two days a week. I'd use this for commuting.

The kids are a little bit little to get it, but like the idea. My wife is supportive, but leery about a long build time.

3. Do you intend to build it yourself or with friends or have someone else build it?

I would build it myself.

4. Are you currently looking at any other cars to buy at the moment, Kit or Not?

I had previously considered a Miata-based kit, but this looks like a much better design.

Not for me. Well, maybe Pikes Peak

Yes

Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by saiven View Post
    I live in Hawaii and they just passed a bill where you can have Kit cars Legally.
    I used to live in Aiea. Where you stay?

Does anyone know what the Color will be when it is released or if there will be multiple colors?
    From the Open House Update thread:

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    At Huntington beach Dave mentioned that the bodies would be made in 12 colors.
    Aloha

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NonProfit;64027]
    I used to live in Aiea. Where you stay?

I live in Diamond head right now.

I Love reading what everyone wants to do to their car.

I think it really puts everything in perspective on what this car is going to be used for and things people will do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    will consider the first offering a street/track car and wait for a stunning HoF coupe to become a daily driver
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. How often will you drive this car? Daily
    2. Does anyone else in your family want you to have this car? My 15 year old son. I think he's hopeful he will get to drive it. He is sadly mistaken!
    3. Do you intend to build it yourself or with friends or have someone else build it? Myself. I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do it! Plus I think it will be fun.
    4. Are you currently looking at any other cars to buy at the moment, Kit or Not? No. I have faith in FFR and have pretty much already decided. If I am proven wrong and it just won't work for me, the only car for me would be a tuned Mini Cooper S.
    5. Are you going to Race this car, if so where at what class etc? I might. AutoX or something like that, if there is a more relaxed class. I'm into fun, not hardcore competition. I would definitely like to take it to the track just for fun.
    6. Will you put a Heater or AC in the car? Without question. If it can't have both, I can't have it!
    7. What state do you live in and will this effect your purchase? Oregon. And yes, the weather here is why I don't already own a FFR Roadster.

I don't need much in a daily driver. Luxury items are simply something more to go wrong, as far as I'm concerned, so simple is elegant! Beyond the aforementioned heat and A/C, I need:
    • Roll up windows - both for weatherization and security. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the zip-in things, but I'm skeptical and doubt I'll find them acceptable for me. One thing that would work is if I could buy the kit when first released, and "upgrade" to roll up windows later. Unfortunately that means a commitment from FFR to offer such a thing. If I were in their shoes I probably wouldn't do that, so it's more likely I'll just have to wait until that's an official option before ordering.
    • Someone else mentioned windshield wipers. I guess I thought that was standard. If not, I definitely need them!
    • An audio system. I don't need much. I'm thinking 2 6-12" speakers (maybe 5-1/4 if I have to), a single small sub (8" - 10"), and a single amp. I might go for 2 smaller amps if that would help with placement. I won't know until I'm actually building the car.
    • Some kind of storage. Again, I don't need much. If I could get just a couple grocery bags worth (or 1 medium-large sized commuter type backpack) I think it would work for me.

Upgrades from FFR I'm thinking about:
    • Steering Wheel - The Subaru wheel isn't bad looking, but I'm thinking the Subaru logo is out of place...
    • Seats - I haven't sat in the WRX seats, but I haven't seen a set yet that I liked the look of. If I wind up getting a donor, I might just have them recovered. If I don't like how they feel, I'll probably order seats from FFR.
    • Wilwood Brakes - Depending on how much it is, and the cost difference in maintenance. If that doesn't work out, and I find the stock system lacking, I would probably just change the pads.
    • Rear Wing - 'nough said!

Other things I'm thinking about doing/incorporating:
    • Android Tablet - As the audio head unit, GPS, and just to make it look more like a modern production vehicle. Plus I think it will be a fun side project. I plan to start a thread on this later.
    • Sound Proofing - I've had noisy vehicles. I prefer a little less noise. And I'm OK if that adds some weight!
    • Personalized Plates - I've already got a ton of ideas, and no I won't share.
    • Depowered Steering Rack - not sure if that's part of the standard build or not, but I've pretty much decided on no power steering. I've owned 2 MGBs and in each case acclimating to the steering effort really wasn't so bad. And those cars were HEAVY! The 818 should steer very easy by comparison. Mostly it's just I want to make it mechanically more simple. Less to go wrong.
    • Front grill openings - Depending on how I think it looks, I might make some modifications. I really liked the look of the honeycomb grill in one of the renderings.
    • Front Storage - If I can figure out a way to get ANY storage up front, I'll be doing it!
    • Rear Storage - If I can figure out a way to get ANY storage out back, above the engine or transmission, I'll be doing it!
    • Painting - I've got some friends who paint cars & luxury motor homes for a living (you did know Oregon is the motor home capital of the world, right?!?), so I might be able to get a killer paint job on the cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair weather daily driver.
    Wife's onboard. We've been talking about a Cobra build for a couple of years.
    Will build by myself. Possible help from my kid and my dad
    No
    Will do the occasional track day and autocross event.
    Heat is definite. AC is probable
    Missouri. No effect on purchase.

This will be the ultimate weekend warrior for me. I'm looking to build a coupe with a later HOF body. The plan is for a 350hp giant slayer. I will probably pony up $ for parts stripped and certified by a 3rd party. I am confident I can build the 818, just not confident I can identify and rehab parts that are worn.

@ Xusia... I will be watching your Android thread very closely. I'm a die hard Android guy myself, and would love to make a home for a tablet in the dash. I would like to see a tablet provide "G" based performance data, google maps, and navigation. I don't know if anyone has done it yet, but I'd also like to see possible ECU data piped to the tablet for accurate fuel use and forecasting as well as possible performance tweaking.

I expect I'm probably 18-24 months from starting my build.

WOW... just found Torque Pro on the Google Play store. That WILL be incorporated into my build!
    Last edited by j32driver; 06-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehe, I was going to send you a link to that! I thought you might like it. There are some others as well. Don't forget it requires an OBDII bluetooth adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Depends, I want to get a vw tdi for the fuel economy so I would not like to drive it everyday.
    Parents don't care and I'm single and 25 with no siblings.
    Totally by myself.
    Audi a3 tdi, vw tdi, mark smith's tdi roadster. I can't decide. I am leaning toward the vw.
    5. Are you going to Race this car, if so where at what class etc.
    Def track it, but don't want to deal with regs so no racing.
    MY fast likes to keep things light.
    CA and it means I'll have to get an sb100. Also don't care about getting a coupe or targa at all.

I actually am in a conundrum. I want a nice looking car I can take to shows, but I don't want to spend any money. I will want to upgrade the interior, but that might be beyong my skills, however I will try to keep it super polished and washed. Of course I will def track it as well.

But yeah. I live in CA and it never rains, so a roadster is good for me. I always drive with the top down on my miata. I think of it like driving a really big motorcycle.
    Last edited by shinn497; 06-16-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As often as I can.
    I'm on an island with my passion for driving and for cars.
    My self.
    FFR challenge roadster
    No. Track days only.
    probably not
    Virginia and no.

Having said all that, I'm in the same predicament I've been in since I started drooling over FFR kits 10 years ago. I don't have a suitable workspace to assemble one. So, all of the above is a pipe dream until I build a shop and God knows when that will be. The one FFR I have owned I had to store it, and often work on it, in an enclosed trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair weather daily driver

Parents/siblings think it's cool, wife thinks I'm borderline crazy

Build it myself. I'm more of a loner when it comes to work. Part of it is I have high standards, part of it is whenever I see groups of people working on install days, something always goes wrong.

No

Might race it for out of region events. Currently have an Fmod for autocross which will stay my autocross car.

Heater yes. Can live without AC (did for 3 years in the WRX) though it would be a nice feature.

Indiana. They don't seem to care about much at all.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Fair weather daily driver, autocross fun, trailer trips to "ultimate" destinations???

Wife of 28 years is all in, understands my drive to work on mechanical toys, hell I'm up over 110 pistons now with my WRX donor. My daughter... not so much thinks I'm crazy... my 20 year old son is all in, he helped me to build the electric reverse trike!

With friend's help as required. I spent two days this week installing a dynocom 15000 dyno http://www.dynocom.net/catalog/type.asp?iType=29 with http://www.dynocom.net/catalog/detai...o=108&iType=35 and new bendpack 9000 lb wide and tall lift in a friend's garage. Wednesday we will do the first pulls on it. We will be doing my 1991 Miata so that we can get some data to calibrate another friend's modified emmissions dyno in his barn. Its been revised to be a simple inertia dyno. He's setting it up to work with his vintage race cars (57 Lotus 7, 1960's Lotus model 61 Formula Ford. Monday we will install the Bendpak 4 post in my garage. Another has signed up to help disassemble the donor. Working on projects, helping friends work on their projects pretty much defines my life!

God only knows... I have 10 currently on the road and a 69 Sonett that is soooo close. I can't help myself, my 15 yr old daughter wants to hold an intervention! How can life be better when its a sunny day and I can choose from 5 different bikes or 5 convertibles! When/if they are all at 100% they usually are not all ready to perform!

I have a 16 foot enclosed trailer, currently autocross 2 karts at each local autocross event. I plan on using the 818 to autocross in EM and will trailer it to "destinations" perhaps with a motorcycle or two as well.

Heater yes. AC nope

Maine, no effect on purchase, makes it easy to borrow flat bed trailer and pick up the kit

Post Thanks / Like

As often as passenger/cargo requirements and Northeast weather permit (but definitely not in winter). This could be my secondary daily driver, weekend/sunny day/special event car, autocross car, and track day car.

Well, my wife wants me to have SOMETHING (because I've been driving her nuts since I sold my race car), not necessarily this car.

Build it myself, as much as safety and common sense allow.

Yes: Lotus Elise, used Porsche Boxster, used Miata as a project, or another race car.

No, autocross and track days at most. I'm unsure of the autocross class in which the 818 would complete. SCCA B Street Prepared, maybe?

Heater only.

Connecticut, and it might because I need to confirm inspection, registration, and emissions requirements before I buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spring-As soon as the mud hardens up.
    Summer-As often as possible. Short errands, dining out, visiting friends.
    Fall-Road trips to the White Mtns.
    Wife liked this more then the GTM. Something tells me she will like it more when it is done then when it is being built.
    Build it myself. Need to do the garage build next. This is the next step for me after building two wooden kayaks, restoring a sailboat, finishing a basement, and before a homebuilt aircraft. Might be a few years before I start, but anyone building one of these in Southern NH would be offered free help from me.
    Was looking at a GTM. This is much more toy for the money.
    Most likely not.
    Heater-yes. AC-no.
    NH. Thus the heater. And would need to have some type of roof. If nothing else to keep the tourist from down South from putting their kids in it for a photo op. Hoping for at least a targa. * Need a place for the front license plate.
    Last edited by flytosail; 06-16-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. How often will you drive this car
    AutoX and track days, TT's and Time Attack once I have the proper license..anytime I can get away with it!

The wife wants a baby and a house first.

Mostly myself and a subie buddy.

Subie BRZ, V8 Miata.

AutoX and TT's in whatever class it falls in.

Heater only.

NC, no effect.

I'd like to build it up for time attack as that has been gaining popularity in the past several year, plus light weight there is king. In the right hands with the proper aero, this thing will go far. I also would look forward to an 818 only class of racing, preferably based on power to weight ratio.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    weekends and some days only for fun.
    My wife will drive it some.
    I'll do almost all of it.
    No. I just sold my vette to purchase this kit and add ons.
    Maybe autoX.
    If it is offered as an option to install it.
    Florida, It is relatively easy for kit cars here. No state insp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottKoschwitz View Post

No, autocross and track days at most. I'm unsure of the autocross class in which the 818 would complete. SCCA B Street Prepared, maybe?
    No way BSP, was not a volume produced car... EM due to engine displacement... straight up with a Cobra Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Daily, in rain, or shine. It probably won't fare well in Iowa's snow though.
    I'm a single guy with time to blow on a car like this, my brother is pretty excited about it.
    Will probably have to build it myself. Maybe enlist my brother for help since he is a real mechanic.
    I am looking for a used WRX to drive as my DD until I can pull the trigger on the 818. This will get me familiar with the car and Subies in general as I do little maintenance bits. (and maybe some upgrades if they can transfer to the 818 ) Also looking at Miatas, Boxsters, and the new BRZ.
    I will likely dabble in some autocross, maybe drifting too if I can find cheap tires.
    Yes, both, if not terribly difficult or impractical.
    My next duty station is in New Orleans, but my home of record is Iowa, so I imagine I will pick the least restrictive state to title/license it. I don't know how much space I will have to build a car in NOLA, so that may pose a problem.

Planned mods/upgrades:
    Seats & Steering wheel - since I am planning on buying a used WRX with a million miles, they will likely be ripped/worn
    Stereo - I can live with the added weight of mids, tweeters and a small sub and amp. Not sure about noise proofing, having never driven a mid engine car, it may be hard to drown out all of the sound anyway.
    Tablet - My buddy just installed a droid tablet in his car in place of a double DIN stereo, and hardwired one of those mobile hotspots in his A pillar, so now his Evo is a mobile hotspot , dunno if I will go that far, but integrated GPS/gauges would be pretty cool
    Engine - Normal stuff: forged internals, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, bigger cams etc, NOT shooting for crazy, maybe 300 HP tops.. I like a little bit of traction now and then
    Real Windows - Don't care if they are power, but real windows would be almost a necessity for me.
    Stripes - Depending on the look of the final body, I may add some sort of stripe or 2 tone design
    Storage - Need to somehow incorporate a trunk/frunk space so I can throw three or four bags of groceries in, in case I have a passenger. A locking glovebox would be nice too.
    Cool stuff - Push button or fingerprint starter, will probably still require a key for security, but at least it looks cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Want as my Daily Driver. Currently drive a 79' Z28.
    My wife is all for it. My two little boys like racecars.
    Build myself. I'm not an engineer or designer, I'm a mechanic and get to work the flight line on an $80M aircraft. Really want to get my hands on this car.
    No
    We have a SCCA solo group here, I attended one event last year and got hooked. My current car is not up to par and would rather put money into a car no one else has.
    Yes, both.
    Texas Panhandle

Post Thanks / Like
    Daily, almost daily
    Wife doesn't mind
    Mostly by myself, maybe help of son, but he's 5.
    No
    Track Day once every great while
    Yes to Both if it's possible
    SC, won't effect

Post Thanks / Like
    I would Like this Thread to be about people sharing their 818 Dreams.

It will probably split time driving to work with my S2000. As this will take the place the garage that the MX-5 is using.

My wife does to keep me from getting a sports bike.

My wife thinks I should just spend the money on a turn key for less aggravation and a quicker build. I work 50 hours a week as it is.

6 years ago I almost bought an Ariel Atom, and I have been looking at some of the other tube frame cars out, but price wise I think I will go with a 818R

Probably not.

Maybe heat, or heated seats. I almost never use the AC in the S2000 or the MX-5.

TX, and i get to drive top down 90% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although the WRX is not made in America, the legacy, Tribeca (was), Forester, and Outback are made in Indiana. Made in America.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    2-3 times a week, year round, is the goal. 35 mile freeway commute, hoping to make it 'shorter' by adding in a few side diversions with the 818.

my 11 year old boys are really looking forward to it (any hope for a mclaren style 3 seater?). My wife doesn't have an opinion on the endeavour, as she doesn't to any of my automotive interests. "they keep me out of the house", said both positively and negatively as the occasion demands.

by myself, with the occasional help from friends, brothers, above mentioned kids. But mainly me.

4. Are you currently looking at any other cars to buy at the moment, kit or not?
    i'm always 'looking', aren't we all? I'd love to pick up a brz as a commuter, but not likely until the wifes car is paid off. I've been looking for a few years for a really clean svx at a good price. I recently nose-dived a montero we used for scouting, camping and light off-roading off a short drop-off - the replacement will either be another montero, a land rover or (oddly) a vw westfalia.

5. Are you going to race this car, if so where at what class etc?
    no racing, pure street car for me. I do reserve the right to take it out for a 'fun' track day or autocross on occasion, but that will never be it's focus.

6. Will you put a heater or ac in the car?
    almost required here is southern california. I was hoping for a re-purposed subaru dashboard early on, but that looks very slim now. I'm hoping that the factory parts can be made to be used. I don't want something that looks hacked in (like some vintage air underdash units).

california, likely the hardest state to deal with. Does not effect my descion to procede, but might effect descions on the build. I was already commited to building a from-scratch mid engined subaru car anyways before ffr announced the 818.
    jlg

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Reality Check

Gentlemen,

You may have noticed that some contentious post and comments have been removed. This thread will stay on topic, do not belittle either someone else's opinion or comments. Do not try to incite responses with your comments or they will be removed. No one has been given any Infraction points, and we'd like to keep it that way. Be civil and courteous to your fellow dreamers!

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 06-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on driving it daily.
    No one doesn't want me to have it.
    Planning on building it myself, with help when something is beyond my skill
    Besides getting a donor for daily driver until I have the funds, not really.
    Not immediately. Maybe after I've driven it for some time and can put some more time and money into it
    AC definitely, maybe a heater.
    TX, and other than shipping costs, won't affect it.

Also, I eventually want to make the 818 as good or better than the upcoming Porsche 918 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...it-201mph.html). Don't have a spare 1.5 million lying around, so I'm gonna do it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on driving it as often as possible 3-4 days a week.
    2.Does anyone else in your family want you to have this car?
    My son (24) loves the idea, the wife(CFO) wants a new kitchen first.
    3. Do you intend to build it yourself or with friends or have some one else build it?
    The kitchen will be built buy someone else, the car by myself,my son and some help from friends.
    4. Are you currently looking at any other cars to buy at the moment, kit or not?
    My daily driver was stolen, so yes.
    5. Are you going to Race this car, if so where at what class ect.
    This car will mainly be a street car with track days and autocrosses every so often.
    6. Will you put a heater or AC in the car?
    Heater for sure maybe heated seats,AC not a priority.
    California, its California, that said we'll move forward.
    Last edited by Hankl; 06-19-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on if I wait for the 818C. If I get an 818C then it becomes my DD for non-snow days. If I get the 818R then just during the summer.

Doubtful. My wife can't drive stick and is afraid to learn.

I'm hoping I can bribe some of the local Subaru guys to assist when I need more hands. Mostly I'll be doing it by myself.

Not another kit, no. If I don't care for the 818C then I'll probably get a BRZ to replace my existing DD.

I don't plan on doing any autocross. I will probably take it to a track day a few times a year though. As for the class, I don't know.

Yes, I'm way too fat to sit baking in sun in traffic.

Indiana. Doesn't effect my purchase though it's a hassle to get a new VIN for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the recent unveiling of the body my plans have changed a bit.

Mostly on the weekends as an autocross/track/fun car, probably take it to work once in a while.

Haven't really shared my plans with anyone yet

myself

I just bought a BRZ. I kept my 2002 WRX to use as a winter beater. Eventually I will get a new WRX/other AWD car and the WRX will be my donor for the 818.

Just HPDE and autocross to start, maybe a spec series some day

yes

RI, won't affect my purchase as this will be a third car for me.
    Last edited by spaceywilly; 06-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.