Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need/Don't Need

Post Thanks / Like

Need/Don't Need

Wondering if any of the FFR guys have any more input into what's needed or not needed. I've seen the original list, but was hoping to extrapolate that. I now have parts galore all over the place and want to sell/trash things that aren't needed. I realize a complete list can't be made, but assume there is some level of design/concept work where there are more things in the definite NO category.

Hoping that this thread will slowly grow as we get closer to the release date.

• Main body shell (BUT save all bolt-on brackets and hinges)
    • All window glass
    Assume all related parts (window motor, slide) is not needed? Assume door skins are not needed. What about door handles (inside and out?) Door window switches? Different year WRX had different door cars, door handle trim, and switch panels. Assume few of these parts would be reused (otherwise some model years won't work/require extra work)
    • Headlights and tail lights
    Is the sub harness attached to the lights needed, or can it be sold with the lights?
    • Rear differential
    • Driveshaft
    • Headliner and interior pillar moldings
    Dashboard? Center console? Arm rest? There are lots of stamped/welded brackets underneath these. Are any of these needed?
    • Carpets
    • Front and rear suspension cross-members
    Is the front cross member the engine cradle? I don't believe the front subframe has any suspension parts on it.
    • Front struts and springs
    Are the rear struts and springs needed? I have coilovers and want to sell them as a set if possible.
    • Rear seat cushion and back
    The seat with the pass through has several braces behind it. Are these needed? There's also a large brace under the rear seat.
    • Spare tire
    • Fuel tank shell (but keep for fittings and internals)

Are swaybars being used? Mine are massive so I'll likely sell them anyways and get smaller ones if needed.
    Airbag sensors/module?
    Windshield wipers?
    Map light?
    Dome light (lol)
    OEM radiator hoses being reused?
    Trunk?

Thanks
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for this infamous list to. Mainly to judge donor cars prior to purchase. Any news would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818 won't use any of the struts. Safe to sell the coilovers. (PM me)

You can see Koni (non-strut style) coil overs on all 4 corners of the go-cart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watching the video and tearing stuff down makes me wonder a few more things.

• wiring: Can all airbag/abs wires be weeded out of the harness?

Shifter: Are any of the wrx levers/brackets/arms/bushings used? All of my stuff is aftermarket and worth a decent amount if sold off

ABS: Assume ABS pump isn't needed?

Power Steering: If it's definitely a depowered rack I can sell this (and my custom braided lines), but wondering if I should hold onto this at all.

Interior switches: Mirrors, fog lights, defrost, all of that stuff. Needed?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I would probably be careful about too much speculation on this. I would just retain anything that's not already on their "don't need" list until the list is finalized.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am retaining everything. What I'm hoping is that someone connected to the project will eventually chime in and see the list of things I've taken off and compared to their list and what I see on the go kart and say "yeah, you don't need this, yeah you do need this". That way I can start selling things or just tossing them and emptying my garage.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sense. But you know as soon as you sell something it's going to turn up as needed! It's just how it always works (for me anyways.. LoL)

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more things I thought of:

Axles. Which are being used? Fronts or rear?

Wheel bearings: I want to replace all of mine, but they're not cheap. If I know I can replace some outright and others get swapped to a custom bit it would be helpful.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't it make sense for them to use the font axles?

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as fitting I to the trans, yes. I can remember if the outboard ends of the fronts and rears were the same.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mechie 3: The 02 wrx tranny has a male input end with female tranny side axle ends and the 05 tranny input end is female with male axles ends. funny thing is the input ends in the 02 can come out or go into a 05 so they are interchanable. On the wheel bearings (there not cheap), but you will need to swap out all bearings if they need it, you are using the 02-07 wrx subaru oem spindles, (use oem parts!!!!!). I would sell the things you know where not using to get some money, like the trunk and wing, many people want those in wr blue, I got 350 for mine. The airbag system, abs, toilet, and jet tub lol etc are all seperate to the meat and potato's that run the engine, so yes they can not be plugged in, or weeded out. This is why you see some blue tape on the wire harness of the 818.
    ps: I have a feeling they might be suppling the harness, all cut to what we need as part of kit, it still does not say we need it, but offcoarse hold on to yours cause this is not fact

Are swaybars being used? Mine are massive so I'll likely sell them anyways and get smaller ones if needed. no sell em
    Airbag sensors/module? no
    Windshield wipers? maybe i would hold on the the set up
    Map light? keep for ****s and giggles
    Dome light (lol) hmmmmm lol
    OEM radiator hoses being reused? no
    Trunk? stop
    wiring: Can all airbag/abs wires be weeded out of the harness?

Q:Shifter: Are any of the wrx levers/brackets/arms/bushings used? All of my stuff is aftermarket and worth a decent amount if sold off
    A: I am pretty sure no, but I would hold on to it, not like you can't sell down the road

Q:ABS: Assume ABS pump isn't needed?
    A: If you will want ABS than keep it, if not sell it

Q:Power Steering: If it's definitely a depowered rack I can sell this (and my custom braided lines), but wondering if I should hold onto this at all.
    A: 1)You will have to de-power the rack yourself if you do not want power steering ( I did mine already if you have questions), you can hold on to it, if you are going to have ps.

Q:Interior switches: Mirrors, fog lights, defrost, all of that stuff. Needed?
    A: hold on to this stuff, it might be needed.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 07-06-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    The airbag system, abs, toilet, and jet tub lol etc are all seperate to the meat and potato's that run the engine, so yes they can not be plugged in, or weeded out. This is why you see some blue tape on the wire harness of the 818.
    I'm lost here. You say it's all separate from the main engine wiring, they can't be plugged in....but they can't be weeded out. Wondering why you can't cut it out if it's not used. I ditched my airpump and valves years ago and removed all of the wiring and connectors and rewrapped the engine harness. Of course I had to shut off 6 or so codes using an access port.

The 06 axles are all male/male (front and rear). Since the front uprights won't need splines, I'm wondering if they're suppying a different bearing or just a piece that inserts from the back and attaches with an axle nut to secure the hub.

I think I've already sold $1200 worth of stuff off the car.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I'm lost here. You say it's all separate from the main engine wiring, they can't be plugged in....but they can't be weeded out. Wondering why you can't cut it out if it's not used. I ditched my airpump and valves years ago and removed all of the wiring and connectors and rewrapped the engine harness. Of course I had to shut off 6 or so codes using an access port.

The 06 axles are all male/male (front and rear). Since the front uprights won't need splines, I'm wondering if they're suppying a different bearing or just a piece that inserts from the back and attaches with an axle nut to secure the hub.

I think I've already sold $1200 worth of stuff off the car.
    Not plugged in or cut out is what I meant
    If you look really close at pics and video of the go kart they have either a cut down cv joint or some type of machined part on the front spindle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So if this is accomplished we will be able to put the axle nut on

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to have the outer CV installed to support the wheel bearing assembly. It could be cut down, but you have to be careful about balance issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN_jVWlSPmk

1:17 in... pause the video. Shows the front wheel assembly.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos