Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote - is a tune necessary - basic install - please confirm

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote - is a tune necessary - basic install - please confirm

Good morning

I have confirmed that FFR did use the Ford Speed Sensor on their initial Coyote install.

Can a FFR tech confirm if a tune is required for the Coyote as well? As I understand it, only the speed sensor is required and a new tune is not required if installing as per the FFR installation.

I have read that some have encountered problems where a tune is required and that FRPP recommend a tune if the intake is modified as per the MK4 install.

I am not encountering any issues with engine operation - no additional tune at this time (FRPP speed sensor installed)

Please confirm one way or the other.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll throw my 2 cents in....

Starting in 2005, Ford went to the "Spanish Oak" engine management software. It is very sensitive to airflow changes through the motor. The Ford Racing controls pack relies on the OEM airbox. Given the new air filter and intake tubing, plus the vastly different exhaust system, I fully plan on getting a custom tune to optimize the engine performance. You should also pick up some healthy amount of hp and ft-lbs getting a specific tune for your car.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx - as I understand it FFR's coyote install did not require a new tune for the intake and exhaust. Needs confirmation.

Can someone explain how a tune is uploaded to the ECU - is it done through the ODBC connection or by connecting directly to the main input connections on the ECU? Does the ECU need to be removed to retune?

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Its done though the OBD port. Nothing needs to be removed. Its strictly a software code change.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx Clemson

Have you uploaded the new tune? If so what did you use?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Its done though the OBD port. Nothing needs to be removed. Its strictly a software code change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Thx Clemson

Thx
    OLDGUY668 has a thread called Coyote electronics in the coyote forum that discusses this in detail. Its very good.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mann View Post
    OLDGUY668 has a thread called Coyote electronics in the coyote forum that discusses this in detail. Its very good.
    Thx -I'm looking for confirmation from FFR to determine if they had to tune their Coyote after their install

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx -I'm looking for confirmation from FFR to determine if they had to tune their Coyote after their install
    Give em a ring. Im sure they'll tell you. Im guessing they did not. Im betting the motor will run fine without one, however, a good tuner should be able to pull some nice HP out of it with the long tubes and intake commonly used on the Coyote in an FFR build.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx Clemson

Thx
    Sorry, I missed this the other day. I have not uploaded a tune. Once the car is street legal, I'm going to use a local modular ford tuner who I've already talked to. He's done a few Ford Racing Coyote controls packs already and says none have issues.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been talking to a number of Coyote guys, from a bunch of different places. These include several FORD mechanics, Ford racing guys, etc. The majority are encouraging me to get a custom tune done once the vehicle is road ready. They indicate that since just about everything I'm using is from the FORD Racing Control module, that the tune will be pretty simple, so relatively inexpensive. However, they've said that the Coyote is so dependant upon the computer (including the throttle) that it has to be set up for each specific car to operate properly. They state that this will fix the gas pedal being touchy, stalling, and backfiring. In addition, they say it is best to tell the computer not to look for things that no longer exist (like Cats in my case) so that it isn't firing error codes that could potentially conflict with other programming when they aren't found. The feeling seems to be that the speed dial solution is a bit of a bandaid, and while it will work, it doesn't address the underlying issue.

I'm sure open to other opinions, and would appreciate conflicting opinions, as I'm trying to get all the info I can. However, at this time, my gut is that a custom tune might not be required, but it sure sounds like a good idea. And for $500 (including the tuning handheld), it seems worthwhile given the size of the rest of the investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the feedback - Once I get the confirmation from FFR I will share the info on this post

BTY - my coyote seems to be running fine without a tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Give em a ring. Im sure they'll tell you. Im guessing they did not. Im betting the motor will run fine without one, however, a good tuner should be able to pull some nice HP out of it with the long tubes and intake commonly used on the Coyote in an FFR build.

David
    A quick update:

I spoke directly with FFR today and was told that the issues encountered with their Coyote were resolved after installing the speed sensor. I was also told that FFR did not need to tune their Coyote after the basic installation was completed.

At this point I am not planning on getting a tune as my Coyote is running fine.

If this changes I will post an update.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. They changed to the Boss intake without doing a tune? There is so much power left on the table with their motor.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Wow. They changed to the Boss intake without doing a tune? There is so much power left on the table with their motor.
    As I understand the history of their build, their initial installation was successful and did not include the Boss intake and as such a tune was not required. However by adding the Boss intake a tune was required as seen on the Horse Power TV show episode.

I can not speak for FFR but according the the discussion today, a tune was not required on the basic install.