Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prospective GTM Builder/Owner Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Prospective GTM Builder/Owner Questions

Hi All,
    Been lurking for awhile and am seriously considering a GTM as my next project. I've read lots of the build threads here and done some searches but I do have some questions that I'd love answered by those that have BTDT. I apologize in advance if these have been asked before -- please feel free to direct me to those areas if so.

On to the questions:
    • First: The GTM is very appealing because I want to build a kit car and this is the best driving kit car there is. My end goal is a fun around-town car with an occasional track day and occasional commuting duties, maybe run errands and get groceries on occasion when the weather's nice, also show it...basically I plan to use the car like a car, not dedicated to a single purpose like track or show. Anyone using the car like this or is this the wrong choice and a non starter? Assuming it's a decent choice...
    • Will a crate LSX motor work / fit in the GTM?
    • Is it possible to source every part new and not have to deal with finding and parting a donor car?
    • What are the minimum space requirements for building this car? I have a 2-car garage (20x24) and I imagine I'll probably end up using every inch of it
    • How hard is it to title and insure this car?
    • Is there enough ground clearance for this car to be streetable (speed bumps etc)?
    • I know there's very little luggage / cargo room in the car...I did a search...have there been any solutions to packing overnight duffel bags, or what do people do for overnight trips with wifey?
    • My wife rides in my 84 911 and she rode in my set-up, stiff, AutoX-winning 73 914 before that...is this car *reasonably* wife friendly, or is it impossible to carry on a conversation and keep the fillings in your teeth?
    • I have a pretty good tool collection from working on my cars in the past, are any special tools or equipment required to build this car?
    • I'm good mechanically but I can't weld and I've never painted a car. Is any welding required, and what jobs are typically "outsourced" besides paint?
    • What's the maintenance routine like...similar to a vette I would imagine, which means not too bad, except maybe a once-per-year nut and bolt?
    • This is probably a question for FFR, but for parts that I plan to source myself that come with the kit, can I save a few bucks and order without (for example, seats and dash gauges)?
    • If I ever decide to sell the completed car, are there any legal issues to be aware of since I'm the assembler?
    • If I ever decide to sell the car, assuming it's built to a high standard, what's the value range (I know this one is tough to answer)?

OK, I think that's it for now...I'll take my answers off the air.

thanks!
    Rich

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    any ls variant will work. (there are some accesory issues with something other than the vette motors). you can buy all new parts but it'll cost you. (lot of little parts to find from the vette). your space is enough. the title and insurance will depend on your location, age, points, etc. you can use ram hydraulic lift collars on the coilovers for extra ground clearance. no storage space except for an empty passenger seat. the noise is going to be worse than the ride. mostly basic tools, could require more if you modify anything. paint and bodywork are major expenses if you can't do it yourself. maintenance isn't that bad unless it's something you need to take the body off for. i don't think that ffr will delete parts from the basic kit. sell as is, just like any other car. you won't resale for what you have in it, based on what i've seen, especially high end builds. they have sold as low as 40 grand for a donor/basic build. go to ffcars.com and look at the 64k questions. they'll provide the most info. i suggested doing something like that here a while back when questions were asked about making this site better, but got no responses. the other site still has lots more info on the gtm. good luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing mine without a donar. Lots of stuff at the classified page, Ebay, forum vendors. Basicly you'll need the suspension, sterring colum, motor, trans, custom harness for the motor,tanks, set of good brakes. I didn't want another car around to work on, the tear down and then the removal. You'll have to find little stuff along the way, but it has not been a problem.

Go for it, cheapest way for me to have a supercar.
    Gene

Post Thanks / Like
    Rich,

I'm in the same boat as you, but with even less garage space. So I'm considering not going the donor route. And your questions on it being a possible GT with the wife for weekends away without the kids also makes it a 'selling point' for the spouse who is looking for a 2 seater with a boot for these types of trips for us as our fun car. If the 818 had a roof, that would be on the list as I've been driving a 2.5T Subaru for 8 yrs, but the look and performance of the GTM keeps bringing me back.

Fernando

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    -If you build without a lift system you will need to be particular about where you drive.

-A two car garage is more than enough room. At minimum you need enough room to move about the vehicle to accomplish the required build task and a place/space for parts. I'm confident it could be accomplished in a single car garage with proper planning of the build and it's parts.

-The cockpit is loud even at idle. Its well above the normal conversation decibel of 65db. Its possible to carry a conversation at idle or while not under acceleration.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    • maybe run errands and get groceries on occasion when the weather's nice,

> If you're picking up an apple, or two you might have enough room for groceries. I wouldn't set foot in a grocery store parking lot/shopping mall however,
    I've seen the locals swing their doors, and leave carts rolling in the parking lot. Not good for the paint!

• Anyone using the car like this or is this the wrong choice and a non starter? Assuming it's a decent choice...

> Same. Mostly weekend cruise, odd day to work. Car shows. Rare track use aside from tuning suspension, and engine.

• Is it possible to source every part new and not have to deal with finding and parting a donor car?

> $$$

• What are the minimum space requirements for building this car? I have a 2-car garage (20x24) and I imagine I'll probably end up using every inch of it

> No problem. Doing it within the same space limits. Buy wheel dollies so you can flip the car around, or push it against the wall for clearance when needed.

> Call your local insurance companies, and give them your profile. Out of two brokers within a 100 Km radius that will do it, both want to know your age,
    > driving record, etc.
    > IE: If you're 20 years old, with four years behind the wheel...good luck getting insurance.

• Is there enough ground clearance for this car to be streetable (speed bumps etc)?

> Not much, not even for steep driveways. You can install "bump bars" on the frame near the rear wheels to save the fiberglass that hangs over.
    > THe front end is tough to navigate on angles. I've thought about opening the hood and backing up to get into my driveway if needed.
    > I know this just from pushing the car onto a trailer from the driveway!

• I know there's very little luggage / cargo room in the car...I did a search...have there been any solutions to packing overnight duffel bags, or what do people do for overnight trips with wifey?

> Strap the wife to the roof, put the luggage in the passenger seat.

• I have a pretty good tool collection from working on my cars in the past, are any special tools or equipment required to build this car?

> patience. More patience. "Mad MacGuyver" skills. (you wont find those in most hardware stores though.

• I'm good mechanically but I can't weld and I've never painted a car. Is any welding required, and what jobs are typically "outsourced" besides paint?

> I've never welded a day in my life. Bought a MIG welder (used as flux core welder). It was the best purchase ever. Learn how. It's a must for this build.
    > Having the ability to even tack weld has allowed me to make changes that would have otherwise cost me $$$ to contract out, or buy alternative parts

• What's the maintenance routine like...similar to a vette I would imagine, which means not too bad, except maybe a once-per-year nut and bolt?

> I'm fairly cautious with my vehicles. Use the MFG specs as a guidline. I'd check all the vital fluids before every joy ride when I had my
    > project toys (even twice a month).

• This is probably a question for FFR, but for parts that I plan to source myself that come with the kit, can I save a few bucks and order without (for example, seats and dash gauges)?

> I've suggested that FFR produce a GenIII GTM that would consist of a roll cage, and body panels...and nothing else. You'll find that you'll replace, or want
    > to reaplace a good portion of the kit content. For example, the tail lights, transmission accessories (shifter, adapter plate), gauges, side glass, headlight covers...
    > If FFR would sell you a kit with custom options, you'd be ahead of the game.

• If I ever decide to sell the car, assuming it's built to a high standard, what's the value range (I know this one is tough to answer)?

> From what I've seen you'll get about 40% of your investesd value in parts. No dice for labour value either.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 03-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rwilner View Post
    Hi All,
    Been lurking for awhile and am seriously considering a GTM as my next project. I've read lots of the build threads here and done some searches but I do have some questions that I'd love answered by those that have BTDT. I apologize in advance if these have been asked before -- please feel free to direct me to those areas if so.

On to the questions:
    • First: The GTM is very appealing because I want to build a kit car and this is the best driving kit car there is. My end goal is a fun around-town car with an occasional track day and occasional commuting duties, maybe run errands and get groceries on occasion when the weather's nice, also show it...basically I plan to use the car like a car, not dedicated to a single purpose like track or show. Anyone using the car like this or is this the wrong choice and a non starter? Assuming it's a decent choice...
    • Will a crate LSX motor work / fit in the GTM?
    • My wife rides in my 84 911 and she rode in my set-up, stiff, AutoX-winning 73 914 before that...is this car *reasonably* wife friendly, or is it impossible to carry on a conversation and keep the fillings in your teeth?
    • If I ever decide to sell the completed car, are there any legal issues to be aware of since I'm the assembler?

OK, I think that's it for now...I'll take my answers off the air.

thanks!
    Rich
    Looks like you got all your questions answered. If your interested in seeing a GTM I am fairly close to you. Shoot me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there's very little luggage / cargo room in the car...I did a search...have there been any solutions to packing overnight duffel bags, or what do people do for overnight trips with wifey?

Best solution is to UPS/FEDEX your luggage/duffel bags to your destination

If the wife packs, or talks too much, UPS/ FEDEX her too
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"