Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Wallace18"s 818 Build

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Sell it for more please.
    You can give me 25K for the car, and sell it for any price you want to. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't there more than 25k in it? Why sell it so soon, and why not for much more?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sell it for 30 Tom, the car can bring more and will help with future values and sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look guys, I have the price I want for it. I am sorry if it is not to your liking. I really feel this is up to me to price it. You are all able to price yours as you see fit. I have my reasons for the sale. It is a fun car but just not for me. I built the car mostly for the experience of the build and to build a resume of FFR kits so I can do customer cars in the future. I hope you will respect my prices and wish to sell. I have always gave everyone else my respect all I ask for is the same. The kit car market is very weak right now. I have done my research. I price my stuff at my bottom line and do not dicker with anyone. If I don't get 25K it will not be sold. Well Maybe. LOL.
    Last edited by wallace18; 07-25-2014 at 05:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you Tom, $25K is a fair price... I do have a question: I saw the word "Top" in the posting.... please explain...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy toms car for $25k ,keep the top, resell car on eBay for 25k. Free top!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I'm with you Tom, $25K is a fair price... I do have a question: I saw the word "Top" in the posting.... please explain...
    I ordered the ffr soft top and waiting on its arrival.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Look guys, I have the price I want for it. I am sorry if it is not to your liking. I really feel this is up to me to price it. You are all able to price yours as you see fit. I have my reasons for the sale. It is a fun car but just not for me. I built the car mostly for the experience of the build and to build a resume of FFR kits so I can do customer cars in the future. I hope you will respect my prices and wish to sell. I have always gave everyone else my respect all I ask for is the same. The kit car market is very weak right now. I have done my research. I price my stuff at my bottom line and do not dicker with anyone. If I don't get 25K it will not be sold.
    Tom, your right it's your car and your price to make, I did not mean to step on toes. I just like your car and think it could fetch what Erik's sold for. You built a nice ride for sure and should have no problem selling it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Buy toms car for $25k ,keep the top, resell car on eBay for 25k. Free top!
    An interesting approach, for sure... I'm not quite ready to do a car purchase in Florida to get a free top for a car in Maine tho!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Well,

My son Zach and I just got back from seeing Tom's 818...PICTURES DO NOT DO THIS CAR JUSTICE!!!!! I am here to tell you it is BEAUTIFUL in the sun! The paint just pops!! The attention-to-detail and the craftmanship by Tom is incredible! As a military aviator, it pleases me to see that kind of commitment. Whomever buys this beauty will be getting MORE THAN their money's worth.

So, as Tom dropped-the-hammer on his 818, I was thrown back into the Kirkeys... When the turbo kicked in, it was like hitting afterburner in a jet! Totally *****in'!! I have run Spec Miatas and I am here to tell you that this car will STOMP on those ones...

Tom, thanks to you and Marsha for your hospitality! I will be calling you once I get my kit!

TC

P.S. when I asked my son if we should just buy Tom's car, he said,"..no, we need to build our own!".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tango68ss; 05-24-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My soft top is suppose to be here tomorrow. I will post pics and document the install. I hope to get my car titled this week also. Look for it on the For sale section soon. This has been an awesome build and fun to interact with so many great folks in the forum. I am going to go get my Daytona Coupe in June from FFR and visit family in the NE. I just want to thank all that have helped me during the 818 build and FFR for such a great kit. This car is truly an E-ticket ride for sure. Special thanks to VCP and Wayne Presley for all his help and parts that made this such a great build. My hope is after my coupe that I will build kits for customers. I feel I have a certain skill set that can lend a hand to some who want a Factory Five but do not have the time, space or skills needed to build one. This is what I hope to do in the future. I will leave it in Gods hands if that comes to fruition or not. Thanks again to all. God Bless. TW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck and take care!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good luck Tom and happy building!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I got my top today from Fed Ex about 8:30 A.M. It was packaged very nice. I am going to tell you how I installed mine and my thoughts on the top and directions. I read the Rod Tops manual cover to cover 2 times. It leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Not very thorough at all. I also watched the FFR video on the top 2 times as well. Since they used a car that had the top already installed it leaves a lot of questions also. Between the 2 I got it done fairly easy. It took me and my wife about 2.5 hours for the top and 1 hour for the side curtains. It really helps to have an assistant. Since my assistant was good looking as well it made it all the more enjoyable. You can tape all the areas where the top will mount with painters tape first. Then follow the instructions for the most part. I used an 1/8" and 3/8" drill bits and riveted the parts on instead of drilling and taping the 8-32 screws. My windshield was fiberglass where the front part went on. No way drilling and taping into that will work. Maybe later windshields are different. Mount the center clamp first for sure then the side ones for the windshield part of the top. Remember measure and check twice before drilling. The rest just followed the instructions for the most part. The side curtains I riveted the Velcro circle instead of gluing them. The adhesive is junk and does not last 15 seconds IMO. I think it looks great on my car. I like how you can see out of it so well from the inside when it is installed. Very little flapping around at 70mph. It takes 2 people about 10 minutes to install after the first time. It is not a Miata MX-5 top. So do not think it is that kind of top, With the rear window zipped out it has good airflow thru it. It will keep you from getting wet but not dry in the rain. I do not recommend it for very rainy days. Overall I am pleased with it, several of my neighbors think it looks better with the top than without. I like it both ways. Is it worth the price? To me yes, but not everyone may think so. I do not think it will store easy in the car IMO. I will either leave the house with it on or off. There is no room in my car for it to store anyway. Since I am among the first customer to install it I hope all this helps future builders. Here are some photos.

IMG_0371.JPGIMG_0373.JPGIMG_0374.JPGIMG_0375.JPGIMG_0377.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

More top pics

Please take note that I was done with most of my 818 before the measurements for the windshield and rear pin locations came out from FFR. Mine are a little off in all areas. Still the top fit easy and IMO looks good. It could be tighter in some places but I attribute that to my measurements being off. That is the price I paid for being and early builder and doing it so quickly. It sure keeps the sun off of us and makes riding in the direct sun more enjoyable for sure. I can tell you that the hardtop and P/W I installed on my 33 was better weather protection but still was not weather tight like a production car. These are kit cars after all. Keep that in mind. These are for pure enjoyment. Not to be confused with a production car that cost lots more and has millions of dollars in R&D put into it. IMO it is a nice addition to my 818 and if I ever build another I would put the top on again.

IMG_0382.JPGIMG_0381.JPGIMG_0380.JPGIMG_0379.JPGIMG_0378.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-27-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the pics!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the details! I've been committed to the soft top since the beginning - adding A/C - so I'm glad to now see what I'm getting. Looks beautiful!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome man.. Just ordered my top last week and I was a bit nervous but now feel much better with your review.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the top is going to be one of those things I'll buy once I'm done spending money on the car for a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a nice afternoon with Joe Greeves. He is a freelance photographer and journalist. He did an article and photo shoot of my car today. Hopefully it will appear in Complete Kit Car magazine from London, England as well as Kit Car Builder digital magazine here in the states. Over 1000 photos were taken. I learned a ton from Joe about how to take good car photos so they get published. He also rode in the back of my pickup with my wife Marsha driving. He got some cool action shots from the bed of the truck. I gave him a ride and he was very impressed with the acceleration of the car. I mention all of the forum members who helped as well as VCP and Wayne Presley. Also my painter from Huegenics. And of course FFR. Thanks to all the car is really a part of all of us on the forum. I could not have finished so nice without all of your help.

IMG_0316.JPGIMG_0383.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 06-04-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very cool Tom!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting my title tomorrow from the Florida DMV. So my 818S is now officially for sale. 25K firm. You can PM me or email [email protected] for details. Everything you need to know is in my build thread. Possible delivery in enclosed trailer under the right circumstances.

IMG_0379.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really a great deal! Lucky the buyer will be!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn...that's a great car at a great price. If I had it now, I'd be all over that.

I'm ordering a kit this week, and am looking at 6-8mos for delivery. That gives me time to finish my current project. Great build...good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the 818 out to the local cruise in last night. Answered about 100 what is it questions. Car is very tight with windows zipped in. I was surprised. Marsha brought her BRZ for the chairs and dog. LOL. First time I drove the 818s like a normal person on the road. Truly an aural experience and the car just reacts to your thoughts almost as far as steering, braking and accel. While it is a stiff ride the ability to maneuver at will is so much fun. Feedback as far as steering and seat is truly remarkable. I can imagine in the right hands this car would embarrass a lot of high end sports cars.

IMG_0394.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 06-15-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the 818 out to the local cruise in last night. Answered about 100 what is it questions. Car is very tight with windows zipped in. I was surprised. Marsha brought her BRZ for the chairs and dog. LOL. First time I drove the 818s like a normal person on the road. Truly an aural experience and the car just reacts to your thoughts almost as far as steering, braking and accel. While it is a stiff ride the ability to maneuver at will is so much fun. Feedback as far as steering and seat is truly remarkable. I can imagine in the right hands this car would embarrass a lot of high end sports cars.

IMG_0394.JPG
    Looks like fun! So have you come up with a simple answer to "what is it?". Otherwise it's long day explaining that it's a kit car, that's not really a kit car.
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    Looks like fun! So have you come up with a simple answer to "what is it?". Otherwise it's long day explaining that it's a kit car, that's not really a kit car.
    Not really. I wish I could but the car is so different it is hard for some to grasp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, how difficult is it to get in and out of the car with the top installed? I was playing around with hardtop designs last night and I feel it will be a very awkward entry/exit..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    Tom, how difficult is it to get in and out of the car with the top installed? I was playing around with hardtop designs last night and I feel it will be a very awkward entry/exit..
    I had no problem getting into/out of the FFR's red 818 (with the soft top on) at the Huntington Beach Cruise in (although I'm 5"11", 185lbs, in decent shape and flexible). I noticed a lot of people trying it out, and a few had issues, but no-one got stuck! If you're well over 6". have a big belly and/or bad knees/back, it could be problematic, but otherwise, not as bad as expected. Look on YouTube for videos of people getting into an Lotus Elise... pretty similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same experience at HB, though, getting in was easy, getting out needed a bit more effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" and can get in and out fine. I am 56 years old. My wife is 5 years older and has difficulty. I guess it is how limber you are. LOL. I can even get in and out with the window zipped in. Though that is not easy.
    Last edited by wallace18; 08-10-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace18, Hello I am coming to the party a little late but am very interested in how you mounted your after market inter cooler in the car. Like you I have a after market
    unit and am trying to design the best way to attach the unit to the frame. I have a Grimspeed inter cooler, and believe it is money well spent.
    Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Grayghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grayghost View Post
    Wallace18, Hello I am coming to the party a little late but am very interested in how you mounted your after market inter cooler in the car. Like you I have a after market
    unit and am trying to design the best way to attach the unit to the frame. I have a Grimspeed inter cooler, and believe it is money well spent.
    Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Grayghost
    It is an AMR unit. I made my own brackets from the trans to support it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have too much fun with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    R.Spec, you are the photoshop KING! That is one of the colors I want for my 818 and since that is me, I can now envision it!! Thanks! (BTW, sorry Tom)

TC

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. It looks cool in black. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Black is not a color, it a job
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Black is not a color, it a job
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up my coupe today. I saw the 818 wiper upgrade. Very nice. It can easily be added to a built car IMO. New CF nice too. FFR building another R for the ultimate car challenge. Saw all my friends at FFR. Dave gave Marsha a tour. Nice folks. Also the new tank is much better unit. I think it will work much better than the 33 tank. Sorry no pics. camera battery failed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also the new tank is much better unit. I think it will work much better than the 33 tank.
    What new tank? FFR is building a new tank for the 818?
    Frank

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast