Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels

Alright, the latest renderings posted started to make me think how important wheels will be for the look of the 818. Any favorite companies/designs?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm gonna go with the factory sti bbs wheels in gold. High quality, forged, and will keep a little of the subie roots. Depending on the donor, they're pretty tough to find in 5x100 and not rashed up by some kid. Always liked enkei too. On a budget there's rota who makes alot of cast replicas. If money weren't an obstical... Ray's engineering.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like a clean simple wheel where the spokes come out and meet the bead surface. The rota sdr in flat black looks pretty nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    HERE are some fine examples!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderDude View Post
    HERE are some fine examples!
    Thanks... I currently live in Durham NC where I have the luxury of witnessing such exquisiteness on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
    Thanks... I currently live in Durham NC where I have the luxury of witnessing such exquisiteness on a daily basis.
    Oh man! I'm so sorry! LOL!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep.......Roulette wheels for me!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've always wondered, does wheel quality actually matter?

I know a LOT of JDM/hellaflush/stance people and they always discuss wheels and fitment. I really don't see the point. Whatever is light, low recipricating mass, good quality, and value works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    I've always wondered, does wheel quality actually matter?

I know a LOT of JDM/hellaflush/stance people and they always discuss wheels and fitment. I really don't see the point. Whatever is light, low recipricating mass, good quality, and value works for me.
    They made quite a difference when I was working with formula cars. Wheel deflection can be substantial and severely changes the effective camber curves of the suspension. But I assume what people usually discuss are the qualities that you mentioned... weight, polar moment, quality, and value. Also, you don't want a wheel breaking on you, that can lead to further catastrophic consequences.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking into doing some CCW custom wheels. Bit pricy but well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mug23 View Post
    I'm looking into doing some CCW custom wheels. Bit pricy but well worth it.
    yea, those are not cheap.

sdr_fblk_1775_1.jpg
    I like these Rota SDR flat black wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a big fan of Rota. They're popular due to the price but have heard of so many getting bent, cracked, etc.

I tend to be a fan of the more mesh style wheels with a lip. i.e. Work VS-XX style wheels.

675_full.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leetfade View Post
    Not a big fan of Rota. They're popular due to the price but have heard of so many getting bent, cracked, etc.

I tend to be a fan of the more mesh style wheels with a lip. i.e. Work VS-XX style wheels.

675_full.jpg
    That's good info thanks. I'm not too familiar with the wheel scene so I'm not sure which brands are known to hold up well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I've heard those stories too, although there are a few top us time attack teams using them. Like I said, budget option.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are a good budget option. I just know how cheap I can sell Enkei for and I would take them over Rota for sure.

Wheels like the WORK, Weds Sport, Rays, etc are definitely a lot more but the wheel integrity and finish quality are often significantly better. The CCWs are an awesome option, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive heard all the rota stories too. Only saw pictures once of a broken wheel due to an off course track excursion where they hit a curb/berm or something solid. The pictures I've seen of bent wheels usually involve someone hitting a very large pothole at speed, which will bend or damage most wheels. I had a pair of Rota SDR's that I DD for 6 years, including a few pothole hits and had no problems at all.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I just hope i can get a 17x10 or 18x10 rim on in the back 17x8.5 to 17x9 in the front. I want some fat rubber for autox duty driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger View Post
    I just hope i can get a 17x10 or 18x10 rim on in the back 17x8.5 to 17x9 in the front. I want some fat rubber for autox duty driving.
    I was thinking with some wheels that aren't too expensive would allow some people to have a separate set for track/autox duty. Only problem is sorting out how to get the wheels to the track. Who's going to be the first to setup a tow hitch on 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    just have a friend co-drive and bring the wheels in his car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leetfade View Post

675_full.jpg
    So I did my research a little bit on Rotas.

They are infamous for being aluminum cast where most manufacturers are forged. Also, don't believe everything you here, there are a lot of haters and wheel snobs that scoff at them for the aforementioned reasoned. In truth most of them don't know what they are talking about and most stories are about accidents that would have broken a more expensive wheel anyway.

Rota heavily engineers and tests thier wheels and have a rigorous QA process. Not only do drift and professional race teams use them, but many car manufacturers use them to make thier own wheels. So if your willing to trust OEM Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Mazda than you can trust rotas.

IF you don't believe me :http://custompinoyrides.com/2012/03/...f-rota-wheels/ http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-tires...els-bad-3.html (check post 28).

I actually think it is really cool that rota can make a product that performs in league with products that are MUCH more expensive. FFR essentially does the same thing.
    Last edited by shinn497; 07-17-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry if you're calling me a "wheel snob", you would be far from correct. I go off what my customers and other people I know state from real life use, as well as personal usage.

I wasn't saying "don't buy Rotas", I stated they are a great budget option. However, I know many people that use them and a good portion of that group that have had issues. That being said, we do still sell them because they are not a garbage wheel by any means. However, for my personal preference and for on my car there are better options.

You can find a review to say anything about anything on the internet. I take each with a grain of salt until I can see it myself (in most cases).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big fan of the wheels FFR offers for the GTM. Nice clean design with different color options at a great price. I hope they offer these for the 818 as well, maybe in smaller sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    From a Price, Weight, Performance stand point I think there's only two wheels to consider.

Enkei RPF1, or

Kosei K1-TS

You can get cheaper but it's heavy.
    You can get lighter but it's expensive.
    I think these two are the perfect balance between the two conditions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    From a Price, Weight, Performance stand point I think there's only two wheels to consider.

Enkei RPF1, or

Kosei K1-TS

I'm just not a fan of spokes curving back in towards the car at their ends, much prefer a flat mating with the outer surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the Enkei RPF1 the offset and wheel width you purchase determines the spokes inward curve.

But at this point we're getting to "taste" and away from price-weight. Taste cannot be measured.

Post Thanks / Like
    Taste cannot be measured.
    Taste can indeed be measured and is inversely proportional to quantity of beer consumed.

Post Thanks / Like
    hahaha.

Thanks for the info. And yea that offset looks a bit better to me.

Does factory five offer center caps for aftermarket wheels? Could be a nice finishing touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Enkei RPF1, or

Kosei K1-TS

im not sure about the Kosei K1-TS, IMO (from my research during my recent wheel shopping) the k1-ts is maybe too light (15" are 11lbs or so) which might be making them too weak and from what i hear are way to easy to bend. sounds like lots of people in the honda world that wanted to use them as track wheels because of their weight ended up with issues in pretty short order.
    However, i did go with the regular 6 spoke kosei k1s as my new track wheels for my integra, which actually should be waiting at my front door when i get home today!

Also i have been daily driving and HPDEing on 15" Rota Grids since 2004 and they have held up great so far.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like a 5-lug version of these:

7284712622_1208675987_c.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't you guys concern about the 818 ability to put its power to the road? Since 8'' wheels (like the Kosei K1-TS) allows a max tire width of approx 235 give or take. At +/-315 bhp (my goal is to get to 300 whp), it will have similar power to weight ratio as a Ferrari Italia who has 295 rear tire, plus it will be lighter. Just a thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know what size wheels and tires are being used on the prototype we have seen in the videos?

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I remember a conversation about keeping the wheels size close to the stock donor since the cost factor is so closely aligned with the concept of <15k for complete car. Also, we don't even know if mule has been fitted with a prototype body. So will the fender wells change or has that been resolved already (probably not finalized). So the wheel sizes are still pretty much speculation. IMO, the max sizes will be 8" front and 9" rear (after market). WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't say 8" and 9" widths would be weak, especially if the car stays under 2000 lbs. One of our customers where I worked years ago had extremely wide wheels on his 914/6 (something like 8.5" or 9" front and 10" or 11" rear) and he had trouble getting enough temperature into the tires (slicks) on track.

The issue is going to be width and offset availability, 5x100 is slim pickin's for wheel selection and they will all be in the +40 to +50 range, typically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know some like those Enkis, but i hate the way they look. I have a set of 5x100 bbs sti wheels. I am going to fix them up and paint them gun metal. I like many rota, Ray's and bbs designs, I would say bbs is the way to go with look. price and quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always been partial to OZ Racing wheels. Lightweight without costing two terribly much. They also make the Sparco brand wheels which are a more budget option. I'm thinking OZ alleggerita HLT, ultraleggera HRT, or superforgiata. Lots of colors. http://www.ozracing.com/car_wheels_b...%20Racing.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a set of Rota Tarmac 2's on my WRX wagon for over 2 years. I've driven them pretty hard, I've hit some insane pot holes going 80MPH down the highway and even have done a little impromptu rally cross with them.

They look like new and drive like new. They aren't super low-profile though which probably helps.

Kansas City-ish Kansas or, Oklahoma City depending, sheesh...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a street car that pulls 1g sideways on good wide street rubber. I actually backed off the width and went to a harder compound so I could slide the car on the street. Yeah, I could go faster with wide sticky but I was driving for fun. That said, I'm going to want something wider than stock Subi wheels...

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well my wheels and tires came today. They are 18x7.5 MB Boost wheels and 225/40ZR18 Nitto NTO5 tires. I am really happy with how they look. The price was very good in MO. I am getting closer every day on my donor parts. I can't wait for SEMA.

DSC02645.JPGDSC02644.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nice wheels bro!!!,, i got sti bbs 5x100, but i need to fix them up a bit

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been happy with my MB's on my wife's caddy and my electric trike... not the lightest but they have held up well for 4 years on the 4000 lb caddy

I've been looking at MB mesh in 17's for my 818 the roads here in Maine can be a wee rough! I'd like to run narrower tires on the fronts though and sizes are limited...

I like the enkis shown earlier and a friend autocrosses with the Koseis... the look very nice but I worry about being too light for daily use here in Maine...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 07-25-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast