FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Honolulu 818S Hana (work/build) Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new adventure! I also work with limited space and have hung body panels on walls and the ceiling. As you inventory you'll see that FFR has boxed stuff that is used together, which is good, but makes for some big boxes. For instance, the cooling system parts are in a box big enough for the coolant tubes and pipes. I hung those plus other big stuff and then consolidated into smaller boxes carefully labeled the same number. Now I've got FRR box #1 in a smaller box #1, etc. Just be sure to retain the box numbers so you can find stuff later. And, the page of last-minute additions (Box 10?) can be sorted into the correct boxes. Unless you get your backorders soon, you can jump ahead in the manual to other sections to keep moving. For missing fasteners I've been buying what I need at an Ace Hardware to keep progressing. Ace is in HI, isn't it?

Keep the posts coming. We all like seeing other builds.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Congrats on the new adventure! I also work with limited space and have hung body panels on walls and the ceiling. As you inventory you'll see that FFR has boxed stuff that is used together, which is good, but makes for some big boxes. For instance, the cooling system parts are in a box big enough for the coolant tubes and pipes. I hung those plus other big stuff and then consolidated into smaller boxes carefully labeled the same number. Now I've got FRR box #1 in a smaller box #1, etc. Just be sure to retain the box numbers so you can find stuff later. And, the page of last-minute additions (Box 10?) can be sorted into the correct boxes. Unless you get your backorders soon, you can jump ahead in the manual to other sections to keep moving. For missing fasteners I've been buying what I need at an Ace Hardware to keep progressing. Ace is in HI, isn't it?

Keep the posts coming. We all like seeing other builds.
    Pete
    Thanks for commenting!

It took about 4 hours to inventory the parts, I didn't find any discrepancies. I have several back order parts, like the rest of you. Mainly the hardware, the lights, and inside door panels. As I went through the boxes to inventory I pulled out all the paper and tossed with most of the cardboard. Like you mentioned, I kept several boxes of parts as they were shipped for easier search later. I have the body panels standing up around the garage, need to clean up and organize a little more, but needed to start building!!!!
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like

Day One

I started from the beginning of the manual with the aluminum panels on the firewall. It's all riveted and silicone'd. The pneumatic rivet gun made it pretty painless. I have about 50 cleco's, but only used a few at a time, maybe I'm not as anal as some others, but everything lines up and went pretty fast.

I purchased aluminum control arms from a 2006, but still waiting for ball joint and boss (cone). My donor is a 2000, so some of the suspension I didn't clean up until I could verify what parts will actually work. Looks like the steering rack, front wheel assembly, and brakes are all going to work. I'll work on that tomorrow, but with no hardware and then the brackets going to the powder coater, it will be a little while before I get back to it.

Tomorrow I'll check out the rear suspension and see what I have that works and what doesn't. For the rear I picked up hubs, disc brakes, etc from a 1997 forester, the 2000 outback had drum brakes. My lateral rear links are aftermarket for a 2002-2005 WRX. I was shipped axels, will check out what I have and see if they will work.

I have been reading other posts about seat and steering wheel fitment so I played around with my donor stuff. Looks like you can lower the column with shims if you wanted, but seems about right almost tight. Not sure how my factory seat would work, very tight in width it looks like. And with the brace located at the front of the seat you don't have any real room to adjust front to rear.

A quick measure of the automatic trans reveals I will need to cut off about 4-5 inches. After I get it mounted I'll pull off the tailpiece and see how to modify and shorten.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016