Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Three Bolts: Mk 4 Roadster Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very simple - two layers:

1) Outline of the dash (I had FFR send me a blank dash when I ordered my kit so this was basically just showing what the perimter already looked like.
    2) Cutouts - simple shapes including circles, and key'ed circles (i.e. circle with a flat side). I didn't bother trying to do the opening for the glove box in AutoCad - I did that with a jig saw. Wasn't worth the effort to try and digitize the provided template that is by no means symetrical.

Set your 0,0 to a location that the shop can physically zero on while on the table. I had it in the center of the steering wheel opening and they had to move to to a mechanical edge. They converted layer 2 to the CNC program.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    That interesting! I am an Autocad expert so I could probably do the same if I can find a CNC equipped shop in Calgary.
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post

1) Outline of the dash (I had FFR send me a blank dash when I ordered my kit so this was basically just showing what the perimter already looked like.
    2) Cutouts - simple shapes including circles, and key'ed circles (i.e. circle with a flat side). I didn't bother trying to do the opening for the glove box in AutoCad - I did that with a jig saw. Wasn't worth the effort to try and digitize the provided template that is by no means symetrical.

Set your 0,0 to a location that the shop can physically zero on while on the table. I had it in the center of the steering wheel opening and they had to move to to a mechanical edge. They converted layer 2 to the CNC program.

Kevin
    Thats really simple. Got me thinking about designing my own dash now...!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't have a blank dash already, they an cut a new one out based on layer 1... I'm sure you figured that out already though

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread