Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Mk4 #7750 Build Progress Update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Just a quick update. Picked up the welded Breeze roll bar from the plater yesterday. I was second guessing my choice to go steel and chrome vs. stainless and then polish. But it turned out great, and now glad I went this direction. Just set it in place for this pic. Now back to the basement until the body is on.

Got bored watching the Michigan/Michigan State game this afternoon, so installed the last few pieces of trunk carpet. Finally done. I'm happy with how it turned out, but kind of a pain fitting around the little storage area I added.

The cockpit carpet is done except for the two large floor pieces, the trans tunnel, and the door sills. Will be easy to finish once the body is on. Down in the footwells is done, and I'm glad because even harder to reach once the body is on. Just a warning for all those doing the PS footbox mod like I did. Nice mod, but guess what? None of the carpet pieces fit. Duh. Several new ones required. Fortunately I had some extra carpet.

I'm now 100% ready to install the painted body. Good thing. The build is officially stopped until Nov 3 for my son's wedding in southern Indiana. If the weather cooperates, he's going to drive his bride from the church to the reception in the Mk3 Roadster. Should make for some great memories and pictures.
    Trunk Carpet looks great Ed! I'll want to cover the Lizard Skin that will get applied over my powder coated panels also. If you don't mind sharing where you purchased the carpet? Looks like a charcoal color in the pics?
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmiller64 View Post
    Trunk Carpet looks great Ed! I'll want to cover the Lizard Skin that will get applied over my powder coated panels also. If you don't mind sharing where you purchased the carpet? Looks like a charcoal color in the pics?
    Rick, the trunk carpet is black. Exactly the same color as the supplied FFR carpet. The camera flash makes it look lighter, but it's just about pure black. The actual carpet is CA1201 Bentley Auto Carpet - Black from The Miami Corporation. Several recommended this carpet as an upgrade from the FFR supplied carpet, so was planning to use it everywhere. But after receiving, found that while it's nice carpet, I liked the FFR supplied carpet better for the cockpit and used it only in the trunk. I recommend it. Makes a very nice finished product. Better than the indoor/outdoor stuff from the big box stores. But it is only the trunk after all. Some may find it overkill.

You didn't ask, but I applied both the trunk and cockpit carpet mainly with Weldwood outdoor carpet adhesive. Just trowel it on with a notched putty knife and push into place. You have time to position as necessary. Several of the small pieces where instant grab was manageable are attached with Weldwood Gel Contact Cement. Both products worked well over the Lizard Skin.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-26-2014 at 06:28 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks danielt thanked for this post
    Likes danielt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rick, the trunk carpet is black. Exactly the same color as the supplied FFR carpet. The camera flash makes it look lighter, but it's just about pure black. The actual carpet is CA1201 Bentley Auto Carpet - Black from The Miami Corporation. Several recommended this carpet as an upgrade from the FFR supplied carpet, so was planning to use it everywhere. But after receiving, found that while it's nice carpet, I liked the FFR supplied carpet better for the cockpit and used it only in the trunk. I recommend it. Makes a very nice finished product. Better than the indoor/outdoor stuff from the big box stores. But it is only the trunk after all. Some may find it overkill.

You didn't ask, but I applied both the trunk and cockpit carpet mainly with Weldwood outdoor carpet adhesive. Just trowel it on with a notched putty knife and push into place. You have time to position as necessary. Several of the small pieces where instant grab was manageable are attached with Weldwood Gel Contact Cement. Both products worked well over the Lizard Skin.
    Thank you for sharing Ed and appreciate info. on securing the carpet. Looking up now and adding to the need to purchase list.
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like

Got the call!

Painter just called. Car is done! They said everyone at the shop thinks it looks fantastic. (Of course) I can't get there until next week though. Will take the chassis over next Wednesday and we'll get the body installed. I'll take lots of pics and post them. Anticipation...
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Painter just called. Car is done! They said everyone at the shop thinks it looks fantastic. (Of course) I can't get there until next week though. Will take the chassis over next Wednesday and we'll get the body installed. I'll take lots of pics and post them. Anticipation...
    Just went thru all your posts after joining the forum. The craftsmanship is out of this world. Your attention to detail boggles the mind. Thanks for documenting it so well and providing tips for others. Looking forward to your completion soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinss View Post
    Just went thru all your posts after joining the forum. The craftsmanship is out of this world. Your attention to detail boggles the mind. Thanks for documenting it so well and providing tips for others. Looking forward to your completion soon.
    Smokinss, my sentiments exactly. My build will be a lot like his. He is a true craftsman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rezell3d View Post
    Smokinss, my sentiments exactly. My build will be a lot like his. He is a true craftsman.
    Hey guys, thanks for the very generous comments.

Said it before, and I'll say it again, fun to build and fun to share. So the deal is you have to post your builds and pictures and we all learn together. That's what I've been doing. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Done, Body Mounted

Well today was another huge milestone. Took the chassis to the shop and it was all hands on deck to drop the body on. Amazing how much easier it is with 4-5 people. Then my son and I spent a couple hours getting the mounting bolts in and panels installed. Still some alignment work to do with the hinges, but close. This is how it looks. Offered without too much comment. First pics inside right after the body install was done. Last pics outside before loading back into the trailer. Needless to say, it really pops in the sunlight. The shop did a great job, and seemed genuinely pleased that I was happy with it. The color is Ford RZ Red Candy 2.

Last edited by edwardb; 11-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.