Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Andrew & Tamra's 818SR EM Autox Hybrid Destroked Long-Rod Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the front firewall is fully riveted (and all panels painted, which took well over 12 hours to do - our hope is to prevent aluminum corrosion, so they are still painted aluminum color. A lot of work for not much visual difference now! lol), one dead pedal is in (waiting on a 2nd one for the driver side, with idea of reinforcing it), steering rack and steering column are on (we can steer!!!!), and pedal box is in (going to install the gas pedal tomorrow). Our piston rings are also due tomorrow.

We are at 63.5 hours of work since we picked up our kit (15 hours on engine, 48.5 on build). We also just passed $6k in parts sales from the donor car! The only parts we are directly replacing that we sold are the pistons and turbo ($500), so far (headers, up-pipe, rods, etc. are still for sale as all of those will be new in this build).

For mounting the master cylinder, we did as others on the forum and shaved the bolt heads so they would fit. We also switched to 1.5" long bolts rather than the provided 1" ones:

Steering wheel and pedals!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    Steering wheel and pedals!

Did yours come with the reinforced metal piece for the brakes and steering column? If so when and how does that attach. Was I supposed to put it on before the firewall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Spec View Post
    Did yours come with the reinforced metal piece for the brakes and steering column? If so when and how does that attach. Was I supposed to put it on before the firewall?
    Yes, there's a separate bracket now for the pedals.. This needs to be bolted in place before the contoured front aluminum. IIRC it goes on with some of the low pan head socket cap screws. 1/4-20 maybe?

I think it's actually properly updated in the I rev manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
    Yes, there's a separate bracket now for the pedals.. This needs to be bolted in place before the contoured front aluminum. IIRC it goes on with some of the low pan head socket cap screws. 1/4-20 maybe?

I think it's actually properly updated in the I rev manual.
    Forgive me for asking again. But after I got it all bolted up with the 5 screws. the pedal box is not even close to lining up. The master cylinder screws go through and the part that attaches to the steering column lines up. but the bolt holes that go through the firewall are not even close? Input on this?