Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  64
Likes Likes:  146

View Poll Results: Startup with new ID1050x or previous EV14s?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Engine startup with new 1050cc injectors

0 0%
  • Engine startup with previous known 550cc EV14s

0 0%

Thread: Frank818 -1993 VW VR6 Turbo donor- Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Frank, HUGE milestone. I remember you talking about maybe using your VW's engine way back, (years?), and I was thinking there's no way. But once you set your mind to it there was no stopping ya, you've been determined. One more confirmed fitment! You'll always be the first.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by choobs View Post
    Lets try this: distance from the bottom of the oil pan to the lowest point on the transmission.
    The engine is out now, I'll see if I can find something on my pix, that would be close to 4".

And also from the lowest point on the transmission to the highest part of the frame just below it.
    Nil. But we will raise it a little by 1/8" to clear the frame and/or grind flat the round edge of the adapter. It's the bell housing to engine adapter causing this, so close to the frame.

When you had your CVs made, did they only grind the shafts and you are using your own inner/outer joints or did they make the whole assembly for you ready to bolt in the car?
    They have not built them yet. They will be custom chromoly shafts with G50 inners and upgraded Subaru outers (more solid with bigger splines). The assembly will be complete for bolt-on.

As for Speedy's comments, yes the G50 is upside down, unlike on the 01E picture. Using a tranny like the 01E will raise the engine too much (for me). Besides, the 01E had many other drawbacks I could not live with.
    If you want to fit the 3.6 with a tranny not upside down, having the bell housing higher than the axle centers, it will raise the engine, maybe just a few inches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Congrats Frank, HUGE milestone. I remember you talking about maybe using your VW's engine way back, (years?), and I was thinking there's no way. But once you set your mind to it there was no stopping ya, you've been determined. One more confirmed fitment! You'll always be the first.
    Tnx a lot Mr Rotary, same to you actually!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    As for Speedy's comments, yes the G50 is upside down, unlike on the 01E picture. Using a tranny like the 01E will raise the engine too much (for me). Besides, the 01E had many other drawbacks I could not live with.
    If you want to fit the 3.6 with a tranny not upside down, having the bell housing higher than the axle centers, it will raise the engine, maybe just a few inches though.
    Probably the best method would just be to have everything sitting in front of me and make some measurements. Thanks for the help Frank!