BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  64
Likes Likes:  146

View Poll Results: Startup with new ID1050x or previous EV14s?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Engine startup with new 1050cc injectors

0 0%
  • Engine startup with previous known 550cc EV14s

0 0%

Thread: Frank818 -1993 VW VR6 Turbo donor- Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well a few updates on how things go.

Did I mention how much of a headache it is to fit a VR6 Turbo in a frame that has everything designed for it not to fit?

I've spent the past uhm week and little bit more to design my exhaust. I mean just design, not order parts and not fit them. The problem is I have to find a bunch of measurements for the pipe, bends and try to magically mock them up in place. Everything causes me issues. The WG bolt, the V part of the frame on either side of the trans, the high drive axles, the huge trans taking all the space, the long muffler, the non-tight enough mandrel bends on the market, etc. It's just a WAG! I am WAGing the exhaust fitment. I have came up with a WAGed solution, I'll order parts, see how it does not fit and then try to cut off odd angles and solder a bunch of 1" bends to make it work.

Based on my requirements, there is one way (again it's always one way) to fit the exhaust with this huge muffler. If I slack off the requirements, there would be 2 ways and maybe 3, but one would be less optimal.

The exhaust will have a plumbing like headers. Ultra tight 90-deg bends, a 120-deg, 2-3 45s or 2-3 other 90s and a muffler fitted at a 30-45deg upward angle. I have no space for the bends! They take up too much space, for example a 45-deg with 4.5" radius, the total length takes up what almost 8" but I only got 5-6. A 90-deg with 4" radius, sorry but it will hit on the WG bolt (that's a drawback of the Kinetics manifold) or the rear bumper for that other 90. And 90-deg ultra tight radius (2.5") cost 80 bucks US each (w/shipping) for 304SS!

My requirements are:

- Muffler tip will be centered between the turn signals (that's half of my headaches and I need VRaptor to build me one mesh like FFRSpec72 otherwise my whole solution is scrap)
    - Engine sound needs to be as less loud as possible (inspection don't define "less loud", so I have to guess. And I know the VR can be very throaty on a 3" so I have to use the most efficient muffler for the available space)
    - As less as possible bends to maximize efficiency (screw that, now)
    - Use a flex bellow (the only one I can is the smallest on the market, a 4" long and it's already too long)
    - Fit aluminium sheets all around the exhaust (inspection). I need to find space for that!

The muffler has a 16.5" long non-weldable area. It's about 10" wide and 3-4" high. It's a big box!

I also have to re-design completely the shift linkage as it's way too far back and hits the bumper.
    I am finishing up welding brackets to solidify my mech's engine supports solution. I ran out of filler.

I have finished designing the intake piping. I have added a very little bit of piping compared to original turbo installation. But at least there is space where the cooler will fit. Careful, if I bring the muffler over the trans, it's going to hit on the cooler!

I have lost my Tial's bolts and GT35's oil return bolts. Ordered some, 25 bucks US with shipping. Nice.

Finally the COSTS. If you do such a build, I mean a build no one else has done before and for which you know it's a tight fitment, don't count costs. It's totally useless. There are thousands of parts you need to order and you never know what you need to order until you do. So you waste a lot on shipping. Once you get too far into the build, you have the choice to pay 25 bucks for bolts or scrap your build. Then again 80 bucks US for an ultra-tight 90-deg bend or scrap your build. Will you scrap it?
    If you are too budget limited, either take 5 years to do the build or don't do it. Anyway it takes a 2+years just to design and fit the stuff.

I have stopping counting, but I still maintain a precise costs sheet so in the end I will know how much. But where I stand now, if I need a part, I don't care if it's 1 buck or 1000, I need it or I lose 10s of thousands, period.
    Last edited by Frank818; 09-22-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021