Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Doug. I guess I'll start the begging process now to see if I can convince Mike to use the big scary power tool instead of me. I shrieked and whined the entire time I used the less scary one yesterday. I really didn't like it. Any suggestions if that (and heat) doesn't work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    Thanks, Doug. I guess I'll start the begging process now to see if I can convince Mike to use the big scary power tool instead of me. I shrieked and whined the entire time I used the less scary one yesterday. I really didn't like it. Any suggestions if that (and heat) doesn't work?
    Heat the bolt head with a oxygen acetylene torch and then hit it with the impact gun but be careful not to snap the bolt head off
    Otherwise things will really suck from there the bolt is likely higher than grade 8 and pretty tough to drill out.
    Complete engine disassembly will likely be needed to have a machine shop drill out the crank bolt and re tap it, hope it works out. If you can't get it out call the engine builder and ask for another method or help if he is local. Don't force it with a pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with HCP 65 COUPE that you should contact whoever assembled the harmonic balancer, aka crank pulley, to the snout of the crankshaft. Find out if they did, indeed, use Loctite, and if so, what kind (red or blue). Find out if they used a torque wrench or an impact wrench to tighten the bolt. And find out what torque value they used if they did use a torque wrench.

It's all good information to have... Some to help you get it apart; some to help you put it back together; and some to let you evaluate how sharp your engine builder really is.

All just my opinion. Hope it helps.
    Trout <º{{{><

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
    Al Einstein

Coupe S/N 377 Purchased April 4, 2008 from John Cameron, Agua Dulce, CA

Photobucket site:http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/a...20in%20Tucson/

The Plan: 398 ci Cleveland, CHI Heads & Intake, Crane Roller Lifters, T&D Rockers, Ferrea Valves, TKO600, Quicktime Bellhousing, IRS, 3.55, Torsen, FuelSafe, ISIS, Kirkeys, Konis, 17" Team III LT-III, Wilwood triple m/c & pedals, Orange w/ Silver Stripes