Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Retro Racing R build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Yes. No external signs, just awful screeching sounds from inside.

The car is even more impressive in person than the pics. With the new engine and all the little bugs sorted out it's going to be awesome.
    Really glad to hear that.

Retro, FWIW there are plenty of ex-NASCAR oil tanks in good to excellent condition on eBay if you want to save a few (or a few hundred) bucks off new. Same with the oil pump, I bought ours that way then sent it in for rebuild/reconfiguration from a 5-stage to a 3-stage (2 suction, one pressure). We're working on a custom pump mount but I think that ARE may have one for sale along with the rest of the kit (pan, pump, mandrels & pulleys) if you want to go that route. Gator, where is that Avaid kit from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulry View Post
    Gator, where is that Avaid kit from?
    Aviaid - John Schawrtz. http://aviaid.com/ Don't try to buy off the website, call or email John.

He and I have been working on a new design for the pump. The Element Tuning version has the scavenge lines coming in the top and the out the bottom. The problem is the line out the bottom is a pain in the rear to put on and take off if the pump is mounted on the car. And the line has to make a very hard 90 turn and is jammed up on the engine block.

I think the solution is to come in the top and out the side, not the bottom. John has pieced together the parts to make that work. He is shipping me one today. But since I haven't actually test fitted it I can't recommend it yet. If you're not in a big rush let me see how it fits before you order it. And I don't think the mounting plate will work for both a Serp belt- A/C setup (Element) and a mandrel drive (Cosworth and everybody else). We'll probably have to make a mounting plate unless John has one that will work if you want to use the mandrel drive.

You can see in this pic how tight the bottom line is:
    DSCN0782.JPGDSCN0723.JPG
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer