Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 #8951 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So apparently it easier for me to throw a video up than it is to get some pictures together. Here is a time lapse of my time in the garage last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UhzOpD4gLU

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    So apparently it easier for me to throw a video up than it is to get some pictures together. Here is a time lapse of my time in the garage last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UhzOpD4gLU
    Laurence, very cool time lapse video. What was your actual time working on the engine block in the video? Also, it looked like it was pretty dark in there. I have some shop lights I can send ya if you like!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure how long it was on real life - maybe 2 1/2 hours? Thanks for the light offer, but I just finished lighting up my garage. The next video should look a lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by 740iLn View Post
    Laurence, very cool time lapse video. What was your actual time working on the engine block in the video? Also, it looked like it was pretty dark in there. I have some shop lights I can send ya if you like!!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I ran into my next snag. The ball joint went into one of the Upper Control Arms easily enough, but on the second one it locked up about half way down. I wailed on it for a bit but to no avail. A quick Google search seems to indicate Inmay have to buy new ones. Should FFR send me a new one of it is defective? I don't want to big them all of the time, but this could get pricey if a bunch of stuff doesn't work. I am pretty darn early in my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    OK, I ran into my next snag. The ball joint went into one of the Upper Control Arms easily enough, but on the second one it locked up about half way down. I wailed on it for a bit but to no avail. A quick Google search seems to indicate Inmay have to buy new ones. Should FFR send me a new one of it is defective? I don't want to big them all of the time, but this could get pricey if a bunch of stuff doesn't work. I am pretty darn early in my build!
    The Mevotech ball joints Factory Five supplies seem to be highly variable. Some go in fine, others lock up as you found. If you call them, likely they will send replacements. No guarantee they'll be any different, but probably the place to start. a) Don't ever hesitate to call them with issues or problems like this. You're not bugging them. It's called customer service, and they're good at it. b) I wouldn't use this as an indication of a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. Just happens to be a pretty common problem with IMO a somewhat cheap/low quality part.

Some have reported the Mevotech's will go in if the threads are aggressively cleaned with a wire brush. Unfortunately, I was never able to get them to work on my current build. Tried some Moog K772's, and they didn't work well either. Ended up with Howe Racing 22320S ball joints which went in perfectly. Super high quality, but not cheap.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight! I will follow your advice and start by reaching out to FFR. I will say that I have been extremely impressed by how responsive and cool they have been so far. It seems almost out of place in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The Mevotech ball joints Factory Five supplies seem to be highly variable. Some go in fine, others lock up as you found. If you call them, likely they will send replacements. No guarantee they'll be any different, but probably the place to start. a) Don't ever hesitate to call them with issues or problems like this. You're not bugging them. It's called customer service, and they're good at it. b) I wouldn't use this as an indication of a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. Just happens to be a pretty common problem with IMO a somewhat cheap/low quality part.

Some have reported the Mevotech's will go in if the threads are aggressively cleaned with a wire brush. Unfortunately, I was never able to get them to work on my current build. Tried some Moog K772's, and they didn't work well either. Ended up with Howe Racing 22320S ball joints which went in perfectly. Super high quality, but not cheap.