Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with first start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    You don't have to degree the cam. The reason you want to is to ensure the cam you have matches the cam card that came with the part. If you degree it, and it doesn't fall into spec with the card, you have the wrong cam. It's piece of mind knowing that piece of the puzzle is right.

if you were on the exhaust stroke when you set that chain on, your timing would be 180 degrees out. And yes, it's very possible that it is. Hence your symptoms. If your facing a tear down to ensure the timing chain is aligned properly, go the extra step to degree the cam while your at it. if you don't have a degree wheel, you can use mine. I'm about an hour from you near Pottstown.
    That is very much appreciated. I am going to try and do the process at least one more time before tearing down. I went back to the main video I used as I was installing my timing chain and watched it again. I am damn near positive I did it right because I had my computer next to me and kept replaying it while I was installing it. It was the thing I was most freaked out about messing up. Here is the video. If that is right, it really should be in right and I am just being a dumbass with the other stuff.
    https://youtu.be/NjalAvBQhVE
    Last edited by lahrs37; 12-29-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    That is very much appreciated. I am going to try and do the process at least one more time before tearing down. I went back to the main video I used as I was installing my timing chain and watched it again. I am damn near positive I did it right because I had my computer next to me and kept replaying it while I was installing it. It was the thing I was most freaked out about messing up. Here is the video. If that is right, it really should be in right and I am just being a dumbass with the other stuff.
    https://youtu.be/NjalAvBQhVE

She's ALIVE! Big step and congrats. Sounds like some fine tuning at this point will get you down the highway. If she ran once, she will run again....

Regarding the video. Wouldn't be fair to comment on it other than, "yes, that's how you install a timing chain". To comment on it would not be wise as we don't know the history of the motor or what led the builder to that point of timing chain install.

In the end, sounds like you are in good shape.