Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Rear License Plate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those who are removing or relocating the handle, how are you lifting the trunk lid once it's released? The handles also serves this purpose, and without it, not sure what you'd grab to lift the lid. Once it's finished, the trunk lid is surprisingly heavy, plus it's hinged from the opposite edge. So you have to lift nearly the entire weight when opening. Gas assist struts are possible, but the ones normally used barely hold the lid when open, let alone provide all that much lift assist. It would be possible to use stronger struts, but even in using the standard ones I've found it challenging to get the hinges aligned and the lid closed/flush with the body. The struts pushing against the hinges even while closed doesn't play nice in my experience. I didn't use struts on my last build. Bottom line, very common for changes to affect something else. You almost never can make one change in isolation. The pluses and minuses must be considered.

To the OP, my only comment after following this thread is wait until you get into the build. If this bothers you, I'm wondering how you're going to react to the DS door alignment (or should I say lack of...), the asymmetrical body, radiator mounting, windshield mounting, instrument panel mounting, wiring, side pipe alignment, the list could go on. There are challenges with these build. This isn't one of the big ones IMO.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-25-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.