Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Go Kart!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Sure thing Steve. It is a motor I got from a junkyard for $450. It was pulled out of a 2001 mercury mountaineer with 47,000 on it. So it has the gt-40p heads, I installed a ford racing b303 cam, new valve springs to accommodate the lift, and converted it to carb with the an edlebrock rpm intake manifold and quickfuel 600 carb. I got just about every part from Mike Forte at Forte's Parts Connection. His advice was invaluable while shopping for everything.

The trans is a T5 I got for $150ish, then rebuilt it.

EDIT: here are the cam specs. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6250-B303 It doesn't have a ton of lift, but has healthy duration
    The 1st Factory Five I got a chance to ride in had a healthy 302 in it and it made my daily driver feel like a Toyota Corolla. For the record my daily is actually a 1995 LT-1 ZF 6 Speed Corvette so you get the picture. Your car will be thrilling and scary enough to make you respect it.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-14-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    The 1st Factory Five I got a chance to ride in had a healthy 302 in it and it made my daily driver feel like a Toyota Corolla. For the record my my daily is actually a 1995 LT-1 ZF 6 Speed Corvette so you get the picture. Your car will be equally as thrilling and scary enough to make you respect it.
    That is good to hear. I have been unsure what to expect with this combo, although it is a popular one the hp and tq numbers are all over the place. I see a lot of guys on here with a lot more motor as well. I come from racing spec miata, which is a very low horsepower car. So I am sure this will feel like ludicrous speed to me LOL.

I do plan on dyno tuning it. Before that I will enlist the of CraigS (I haven't told him that yet. I still owe him lunch though!) to get the carb tuned as best as we can before dyno time.