BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Oil issues: Dry Sump, Accusump for road racing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oil filling crankcase when 818 not used for more than a couple months.

My 818 has an Aviaid dry sump system. It has 2 external scavenge pumps and uses the OEM oil pump.

drysump.jpg

Twice while the car sat without starting the engine for 3+ months, the oil from the tank filled the crankcase. This last time, I believe it was high enough in the block to get past the piston rings and fill the exhaust manifold. When starting, the car smoked badly for 5 to 10 minutes.

Has anyone else seen this with a dry sump system on a flat engine?
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 09-24-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    My 818 has an Aviaid dry sump system. It has 2 external scavenge pumps and uses the OEM oil pump.

drysump.jpg

Twice while the car sat without starting the engine for 3+ months, the oil from the tank filled the crankcase. This last time, I believe it was high enough in the block to get past the piston rings and fill the exhaust manifold. When starting, the car smoked badly for 5 to 10 minutes.

Has anyone else seen this with a dry sump system on a flat engine?
    Bob
    I was just about to post a similar issue. I did a first start two months ago, then let it sit, it's been seeping oil on the floor from what I think is the cam seals. The sump tank is very low now, but I bet the cylinders are filled with oil, too. I think this is just an inherent problem with dry sump systems. After talking with some other people, it seems dry sumps will eventually do this the only option is to put a shut off valve in the feed line (I don't know if I like this idea) or to drain the oil if you know it will be sitting for a bit (Apparently, a lot of race teams do this).