Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  563

Thread: Roadracer's #997 build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    James, I envy the exotic rocker arm suspension you have. My 818 is encumbered with compromise resulting in at least bump steer so I have become increasingly skeptical of the design.
    My catalog photo of the static Hot Rod suspension suggests a little camber gain on jounce, but I see your AX photos and positive camber in turns. What is your static camber adjustment?
    Have you measured bump steer? Your (high) steering arm location makes me wonder?

In general, body roll and weight transfer is not a bad thing. We raced SCCA Showroom Stock against Saabs one season, they rolled a lot and were fast. It is advantageous on wet pavement.
    Less body roll puts less emphasis on bump steer and (positive) camber gain, but does not solve it.
    Your AX video did not demonstrate understeer or oversteer to me, seemed neutral. I did hear the tires a bit
    The rear "appears" to roll more than the front. If you add a rear ARB it will oversteer more. If you are already oversteering, you might consider ARBs on front or both ends.

Your rocker arm suspension suggests exotic anti-roll devices to my creative mind. Conventional ARB can be adjustable with arm length link mount holes or a sliding yoke.
    Splined bars are more easily swapped for diameter. Hollow bars are good.

https://ast-suspension.com/docs/tech...i-Roll-Bar.pdf

BTW your AX driving style could be likened to a lumberjack, swinging an AX, not chain sawing. Stabbing and lifting work on fast large turns, but limited throttle modulation as a compromise through slaloms is better.
    Perhaps you are OC about the body roll. Let it roll, but manage the fore/aft weight transfers with controlled throttle and brake.
    jim
    Last edited by J R Jones; 08-16-2021 at 03:46 PM. Reason: addl'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    My catalog photo of the static Hot Rod suspension suggests a little camber gain on jounce, but I see your AX photos and positive camber in turns. What is your static camber adjustment?
    Have you measured bump steer? Your (high) steering arm location makes me wonder?
    This is all a stock FFR33 setup. Right now I'm at -0.5º static, with 8º caster. Of course roll is affecting the camber too.. one of many reasons I'd like to limit it.

As for bump steer, I have a kit to correct it, but have never found the time to fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    BTW your AX driving style could be likened to a lumberjack, swinging an AX, not chain sawing. Stabbing and lifting work on fast large turns, but limited throttle modulation as a compromise through slaloms is better.
    Ha, yes! It's the most bizarre thing - from me being super smooth on circuits and giving people that same advice, all I do in autox is overreact. I find autox to be like taking a whole F1 race and speeding up the footage until it fits into 40s. I've been going quicker every lap so far by driving slower. Yesterday that was both my most calm and fastest autox run.. so you can imagine how the earlier ones went.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

3. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    James, I know exactly what you are stating. The tight course and cones are information overload. It takes a discipline to focus further out, and let muscle memory handle the stuff inches away. Maybe blinders are not just for horses.
    I would be distracted by your exposed front tires. Too interesting to see what they are doing and how they are reacting.

If you install front ARB I would run back to back complete, and with one link disconnected.
    I do not know how you adjust camber, but I would try -1.5 to -2.0.
    Cam on the LCA? Maybe you could mark the adjuster and go back and forth on that too.
    jim

5. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    James, I raced with Paul Newman a couple of times. He was very good, and benefited from introspection.
    He recognized early on that he had a death grip on the steering wheel. He consciously adopted a loose grip and a calmer attitude.
    He did not mention it but I think breath control helps too.
    jim

7. Likes RoadRacer liked this post