Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  38

Thread: F9 Unveiled on FFR Facebook Video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is a F9 thread and I'd like to see an update on it as well.

However, there's one 818 comment unanswered that I thought obvious, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacist View Post
    The 818 with the updated front end looks fairly spicy, not over the top, and scratches the itch for a small, light, exotic looking car boasting a mid engine - and the one off build they did with the small ford engine really sparked my interest. I'm not sure why they dedicated to Subaru powerplants as they are lackluster and not reliable, provided they supported it with anything else, I'd even put a 2.0L ecotec in it if there was some backing for that, but it feels like it was dropped like a hot brick.
    It was about the only consistent source of donor FWD(-ish) drivetrains with a manual gearbox.

I agree the 4cyl EcoBoost engine was a neat install. Did they ever specify what transmission they sourced for that?
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I agree the 4cyl EcoBoost engine was a neat install. Did they ever specify what transmission they sourced for that?
    I'm not sure they ever said what transmission hooked up the EcoBoost, but the reason it never went anywhere is because it was such a terrible fit. The chassis was designed for the low and wide boxer engine, so the I4 sat up really high, like in the rearview mirror high. It killed the center of gravity and affected the performance. At the moment you can't even buy an 818 kit, so it looks like that one is dying off along with the GTM. No more mid-engine for FFR.

3. Likes Windsor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is a F9 thread and I'd like to see an update on it as well.

However, there's one 818 comment unanswered that I thought obvious, so...

It was about the only consistent source of donor FWD(-ish) drivetrains with a manual gearbox.

I also just realized the 818 isnt available to place an order on either, so its gone the way of the GTM?

They did use the same trans from the Subaru in that swap (In the snap on video they mention it briefly). There are lots of FWD vehicles that have a transverse mounted engine/trans that would have potentially worked in that combination, or the 01e transaxle from the audi/vw family tends to have tons of aftermarket support for mounting options.

Post Thanks / Like

It was an adapter plate for the subaru transmission. There were a couple of them built. One was on powerblock and the other was for snap-on.