Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leather Hood Straps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying that the pre-drilled hole option was an all-or-nothing deal but I might be wrong. If it's possible to request the trunk latch hole not be drilled, I'd recommend that regardless of whether you're using leather straps or the FFR-provided latch. The hole is, for some unknown reason, always drilled off-center, requiring your painter to get creative with stripe layout if going with stripes. My Mk4 was a pre-25th anniversary kit. I decided to order a 25th anniversary style trunk lid to get a better license plate fit and asked them not to drill the latch hole, which made overall layout and latch placement much better. I have no idea why FFR continues to drill the hole in the wrong place.
    Actually John the trunk latch hole IS on center. It’s the license plate lamp blister that’s off center. It’s that way on both the pre and post 25th lids. But when laying out the stripes they have to hit the center of the plate lamp or they look stupid which means that we either move the handle to be equally off or do some tricks to fool the eye into not noticing. Just one of the FFR’s many charms like the off center and skewed hood, the cross eyed headlights, the crooked grille opening…

Jeff

2. Thanks KalaniFo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Actually John the trunk latch hole IS on center. It’s the license plate lamp blister that’s off center. It’s that way on both the pre and post 25th lids. But when laying out the stripes they have to hit the center of the plate lamp or they look stupid which means that we either move the handle to be equally off or do some tricks to fool the eye into not noticing. Just one of the FFR’s many charms like the off center and skewed hood, the cross eyed headlights, the crooked grille opening…

Jeff
    Fair enough. I guess it's relative. Having the hole centered on the trunk lid but off-center from the plate lamp is sort of pointless, no?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.