Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Plavan's 818R Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I gave it a good look. No idle problems at all. When its cold, it idles higher, then as it warms up it gets down to around 750 RPM. No jumping or anything.

I just think my lightweight pulley and Flywheel are the cause. I'll bumped up the "warm" RPM's to 900 to see if that will help catch it. I may go a little higher if that does not help.

I have a light weight flywheel and crank pulley. I upped the idle speeds across the board with RomRaider and ECUflash. It helped a bunch, but it is still "iffy" and I get occasional stalls.

I have no air leaks etc. (from pressure tests of the inlet tract.). So I'm going to change to stock flywheel and damped crank pulley. Rapid engine accel. is not as important to me as not worrying about some heel and toe to avoid stalling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    I have a light weight flywheel and crank pulley. I upped the idle speeds across the board with RomRaider and ECUflash. It helped a bunch, but it is still "iffy" and I get occasional stalls.

I have no air leaks etc. (from pressure tests of the inlet tract.). So I'm going to change to stock flywheel and damped crank pulley. Rapid engine accel. is not as important to me as not worrying about some heel and toe to avoid stalling.
    Thanks- Just curious what Idle RPMs you set.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    There are Three Idle Speed Target maps A, B, and C. The attached picture of the originals on my 06 with DBW.
    I have no idea which one the ECU is programmed to use under which (?) circumstances.
    So I increased each and every one by 200.
    Since I only have a running go-kart and cannot really drive it around and gauge the difference, I cannot comment with any good facts. However it did make it significantly better on my neighborhood "closed circuit".
    But it still is inclined to stall like when goosing it as I reverse up my driveway, and have to let up precipitously.

Idle Maps001.jpgIdle Maps001.jpgIdle Maps001.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    On Friday I replaced the LW pulley and test drove it....very minor improvement...if any. So yesterday I replaced the LW flywheel (12 Lbs) with the stock one (23 lbs)..Bingo! what a difference. I drove it yesterday afternoon after I got it back together, and I have just driven it again today...to make sure.

It is now a pleasure!

Check my thread for pictures, if interested.

For any kind of daily driver, I would advise strongly against a LW flywheel. The pulley is probably insignificant.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    On Friday I replaced the LW pulley and test drove it....very minor improvement...if any. So yesterday I replaced the LW flywheel (12 Lbs) with the stock one (23 lbs)..Bingo! what a difference. I drove it yesterday afternoon after I got it back together, and I have just driven it again today...to make sure.

It is now a pleasure!

Check my thread for pictures, if interested.

For any kind of daily driver, I would advise strongly against a LW flywheel. The pulley is probably insignificant.

fred
    I agree. I had a very very light carbon/carbon clutch on my WRX for a while, and it had an extremely light flywheel as well. It was a pain to drive around town because the RPMs would drop too much between shifts. It made driving very jerky. It was great for fast upshifts at the track however.

Jeff