Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Cooling System - Return Line Help

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Cooling System - Return Line Help

I'm trying to figure out something that I think is fairly straightforward, but want to double check my understanding before moving forward. I'm also looking for a suggestion on the best way to do this. Please see my attached pictures which should make this easy to understand.

I've got an outlet on the engine that I believe needs to be connected to the coolant overflow tank (Part labelled "A" in my pictures). From the factory the crate came with an aluminum tube (A) that I currently have plugged. I believe that what I need to do is run a line from this (A) over to the coolant overflow tank (B). My plan is just to "T" into the existing line that is attached to the upper outlet on the radiator (Drivers Side).

QUESTION 1: Is this assumption about the connection between (A) and (B) correct?

QUESTION 2: I believe I will need to remove the current port/tube (A) and find something that has a 90 degree so that I can get a hose on this and still get the Coyote 5.0 Engine cover back on. Am I correct in this assumption, or how have others done it? If I do need another part, can someone tell me what that part is (Part #), or at least provide thread size and pictures? (UPDATE: I think I can just use a standard heater hose without a need for replacing the existing outlet with a 90 degree. The hose will have a good bend to it, but not so severe that it will kink, at least I don't think so. Any thoughts on this?)

QUESTION 3: When I "T" into the (B) hose, I'd read that I need a check valve in the hose that runs from (A) to (B). Is that correct? Again, a part # would be helpful.

Finally, if anyone has any pictures of how you've accomplished the above, I'd sure appreciate seeing them.

Thanks so much. (The body is almost finished at the shop, and I'll be doing final assembly within a week, so anxious to get this last (hopefully last) issue resolved!

Cooling 1.png

Cooling 2.png

Cooling 3.png
    Last edited by Slider; 05-10-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: slight reword and update on Question 2
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll answer your question, somewhat. On the 2011+ stock Mustang set up, the "A" connection goes directly to the overflow. The 2011+ reservoir (If you got yours from Forte, he uses a 2010 I believe which is missing an extra port the 2011+ has) has a port for "A" to connect to as shown here:

Your "B" hose should be going into the reservoir as well, and hits the port on the 2011+ reservoir as shown here:

This stock piece has a check valve in it. I don't have a check in it, but I haven't noticed any detriment to flow or engine cooling.

The hoses are 12 & 13 listed here:

http://www.tascaparts.com/parts/2012...iagram=JC10101
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. This confirms my thoughts... A bit bummed that the Coyote I bought from Forte doesn't have the correct Overflow tank to accomodate this set up, neither does it have the cut out on the DS of the Engine cover to accomodate this hose. Not that it's a hard fix, but it sure would have been cleaner to have been able to use parts designed for the purpose. I think at this point I'll forego the Stock Ford hose (Since I'd have to cut it up anyway) and just find the right size hose to connect to the fiitting and T it into the hose coming from the Top of the Radiator to the overflow.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider, if you want a color PDF document directly from Ford Racing with an exploded view of all the colling paths and hoses let me know. Shoot me a PM with you email and I will send it to you.

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Thanks. This confirms my thoughts... A bit bummed that the Coyote I bought from Forte doesn't have the correct Overflow tank to accomodate this set up, neither does it have the cut out on the DS of the Engine cover to accomodate this hose. Not that it's a hard fix, but it sure would have been cleaner to have been able to use parts designed for the purpose. I think at this point I'll forego the Stock Ford hose (Since I'd have to cut it up anyway) and just find the right size hose to connect to the fiitting and T it into the hose coming from the Top of the Radiator to the overflow.
    Your comments made me curious so I googled coyote cover's. Seems most do NOT have that cut out. It also seems like it's not year dependent. However, they all have the third port on the reservoir for your "A" hose. My motor was out of a 2012and came with the covers and hoses.

Stock set up on a 2013. No cut out and 3 port reservoir:

MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Mike might have sourced the reservoir tank separately. Oh well, not that big of a deal I guess. I must say though that the Coyote looks way cooler in a Cobr*!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Your comments made me curious so I googled coyote cover's. Seems most do NOT have that cut out. It also seems like it's not year dependent. However, they all have the third port on the reservoir for your "A" hose. My motor was out of a 2012and came with the covers and hoses.

Stock set up on a 2013. No cut out and 3 port reservoir:

Loves Engines
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2011+ coolant tank is very cheap from Tousley Ford, $50. The stock molded hoses are really expensive though in comparison. You just never know with Ford! So if you wanted to not use a T and ensure it comes into the right section of the tank, you could just trade out for the 2011.

Post Thanks / Like
    sent mine back to Forte since it was incorrect...ordered the 2011+ tank from Tousley and saved some money, even considering the 'restocking fee' I was charged by Forte

Post Thanks / Like
    One last (hopefully) question on this. I'm traveling for business this week, so not able to physically touch the car at the moment. But I'm trying to track down the pieces I need to create a T in the Radiator to Overflow Tank line. Does anyone recall the following:

1) What size heater hose is used for the return line (Radiator to Overflow)? (Pretty sure it is 3/8" but not positive)
    2) What Size hose is the Stock Ford Hose that runs from the engine to the overflow?

I'm hoping both lines are the same so that I can find a simple 3/8" T!

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just closing the loop on this in case someone else has the same question down the road. Both of these hoses are 3/8" heater hose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    One last (hopefully) question on this. I'm traveling for business this week, so not able to physically touch the car at the moment. But I'm trying to track down the pieces I need to create a T in the Radiator to Overflow Tank line. Does anyone recall the following:

1) What size heater hose is used for the return line (Radiator to Overflow)? (Pretty sure it is 3/8" but not positive)
    2) What Size hose is the Stock Ford Hose that runs from the engine to the overflow?

I'm hoping both lines are the same so that I can find a simple 3/8" T!

Thanks in advance.