BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Tall Guy

Post Thanks / Like

New Tall Guy

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching for my first all out car build. I am looking hard at both the MKIV Roadster and the '33 Hot Rod. The Hot Rod allows me to be happy with certain options that I would not like on a Roadster build like a Chevy engine and auto trans. My main challenge is that I am 6'5" tall, 280 lbs with a 34" inseam and 15 EEEE size feet.

I previously owned a '34 Ford 3 Window coupe with what appeared to be about a 3" chop from the factory. I THINK it was a street beast body and I fit ok with the auto trans. Any tall Hot Rod owners out there? I know I can modify the trans tunnel some-what, but do I have a hope of fitting?

What is the success rate with this kit? The last thing I need is something I can't finish...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. You will find that the FFR hot Rod offers more room than others. Many people have modified the transmission tunnel to get more room for your feet. Might want to get the tilt-steering option to gain room when getting in and out.
    Doug

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there Tony@ffr i saw your post and the 33 would be a good fit for you ,lots of leg room and lots of head room if you do the hard top ,i have built a couple of them and there a fun build and not a difficult one...hope this helps!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wookie

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot21075 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been searching for my first all out car build. I am looking hard at both the MKIV Roadster and the '33 Hot Rod. The Hot Rod allows me to be happy with certain options that I would not like on a Roadster build like a Chevy engine and auto trans. My main challenge is that I am 6'5" tall, 280 lbs with a 34" inseam and 15 EEEE size feet.
    We call that size owner a wookie on the FF forums and Dave Hodgkins has a Cobra and is about that size IIRC
    You might ask him to sit in the 33 while he's back at FF open house this weekend and give his opinion.
    HTH
    Dale
    Hemi33

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" and I am building a 33. Look at wallace18 build thread. The shoe size may give you problems. I wear a 12 and I had to modify the tunnel and pedals. If you build an automatic you will have plenty of room after mods. The manual will be a tight fit for those 15's.

Post Thanks / Like
    very interested in this thread... I'm about the same size.

Post Thanks / Like
    I narrowed the trans tunnel from front to back and installed the Kirky high back seats. Used a tilt column with the NRG tilt adapter to move the wheel back and make it easier to get in and out. I also use Merrill barefoot shoes which are teh narrowest shoes I have found. My son in the pic is 6'5", 265 lbs, the soft top is a little tight for head room, but doable.

DRIVER_SIZE.jpg
    Last edited by Jay Mann; 06-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently returned from Whitby in Greensboro where I had an opportunity to sit in a completed standard trans. '33. I had hoped to drive it but my 6'4" frame, 34" inseam and 205 pounds did not make that possible. I asked FF if they would consider moving the frame brace behind the seats about 3" to the rear but they advised they could not. I discussed other options with Jeff at Whitby...tilting seat backs to rear, adjusting accelerator pedal, tilting seat front up, etc. They are going to advise me when they get a car set up for an already committed customer who is 6'4" and I will go back for a trial fit before committing to a car buy. I sure hope Jeff is able to pull something out of the hat as it looks to me like that frame cross brace behind the seats is going to have to be moved 3" or so back in order to avoid a 90 degree angle at the right knee when driving. I do not see how that leg angle can be comfortable. If anyone has any thoughts, please share. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    6'6", formerly 345, now 305. Size 16 shoe. With a few very simple mods my roadster fits me like a glove. I LOVE it.

If you are ever on the west coast you are welcome to try mine on for size.

For a 33, I'd put in a Kirkey vintage and adjustable pedals from Fortes.

I'm getting ready to build an 818, clearly the biggest cockpit FFR has devised yet.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or reply here. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)