BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 15th Anniversary MKIV build thread - TROJAN

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

Thanks so much for posting the links on the "how to". I too am a user of SharkHide, but have struggled getting a good clear application ...now I know what I was doing wrong.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    David,

Thanks so much for posting the links on the "how to". I too am a user of SharkHide, but have struggled getting a good clear application ...now I know what I was doing wrong.
    Glad I could help!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm waiting for a DMV issue to work itself out but I couldn't wait any longer for...

GRADUATION!
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ot-TROJAN-quot

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quick update: STILL waiting for Sacramento to ship out a duplicate certificate of sequence! I'm really cutting it too close for making the 1/26 BAR appointment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The duplicate Certificate Of Sequence has not arrived and the BAR appointment has been moved to 2/4/2016.

Grrr...

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. I am still waiting for the title, registration, and plate for a trailer I bought on 11/15 in Northern California. Nothing yet - arggg....

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well the Certificate of Sequence FINALLY CAME! My 3rd attempt at a BAR appointment was yesterday morning so I'll call this AM to set up yet another.

I've moved TROJAN back home so that I can get some work done on ol' 5369. TROJAN is a people MAGNET on the road! I can't wait until this reg. process is over so my bro and I can put some miles on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    I feel your pain. I am still waiting for the title, registration, and plate for a trailer I bought on 11/15 in Northern California. Nothing yet - arggg....

Kevin
    Kevin the California DMV Registration line is 916-657-8035. Call them and get a status update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David, congratulation for your final registration of the Trojan! Wish you and your bro always a safe drive. Hope to catch up one day,
    Georg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg View Post
    Hi David, congratulation for your final registration of the Trojan! Wish you and your bro always a safe drive. Hope to catch up one day,
    Georg
    Georg!

GREAT to hear from you! I hope all is well and although our "arrangement" didn't work out, I am working on getting my MKIII ready to sell so I can move on to the next big build! It just won't be a 20th anniversary car...
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ep-quot-thread

I've set up another BAR appointment for this Tuesday (2/16) and then we will be ready for plates!

I hope you find a way to the 'States soon; would love to hoist a few beverages with you. Keep the dream alive brother!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    The duplicate Certificate Of Sequence has not arrived and the BAR appointment has been moved to 2/4/2016.

Grrr...
    No matter how hard I tried, San Clemente still did not believe I needed a sequence number for SMOG. I had to get another appointment just to go in there and force them to call the BAR to confirm. Sounds like I'll need to bug Sacramento as well to actually get it processed. Oh well, still getting the top end re assembled while I wait for the mediocre efforts of the state to get something done. Congrats Chewie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    No matter how hard I tried, San Clemente still did not believe I needed a sequence number for SMOG. I had to get another appointment just to go in there and force them to call the BAR to confirm. Sounds like I'll need to bug Sacramento as well to actually get it processed. Oh well, still getting the top end re assembled while I wait for the mediocre efforts of the state to get something done. Congrats Chewie.
    So they were able to assign you the cert? If you receive it in the mail soon I have a number for you to call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Raising the bar
    David
    I went to the KC world of Wheels show yesterday. There was a nice collection of Cobra replicas in "the Snake Pit" several FF's and a couple other brands as well.
    The one thing that they all had in common was the unfinished look inside the nose of the car. The piece you made for the anni coupe has raised the bar and I will
    never be able to look at one again without thinking this car needs one of those to look finished.
    Well done
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    DB,

Thanks man! I'm currently in the middle of making one for my MKIII:

...and yes I will be making more to sell as a vendor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Today's the day! We have a 7am appointment with the BAR referee. If all goes well it will be the last stop before getting plates from the DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Man!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FAILED.

What's wrong with this picture?

Hint:

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they want the gas vapors from the fuel tank to be routed into the intake manifold?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

They didn't like the rumble seat? Looks like he can be pretty comfortable back there...

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    You are missing the hose from the air cleaner to a breather cap.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    What Doug said. They don't want the crankcase to breathe to atmosphere.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    You are missing the hose from the air cleaner to a breather cap.
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    What Doug said. They don't want the crankcase to breathe to atmosphere.

Jeff
    Ding Ding Ding.

Post Thanks / Like
    You forgot the PCV valve!??? Rookie!! LOL. Wait to you see the POS I"m rigging up for my appointment!! Looks like something Clark Griswold or Willy Wonka would think up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    You forgot the PCV valve!??? Rookie!! LOL. Wait to you see the POS I"m rigging up for my appointment!! Looks like something Clark Griswold or Willy Wonka would think up.
    I didn't forget the PCV valve. You can see it it in the pic above. I forgot to have a sealed breather on the other side with a hose back to the air cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had another problem show up while driving to and from the appointment. When applying the brakes at a very low speed, say 5 mph, there is an alarming loud moan and high frequency shudder coming from the front brakes. I believe anti-moan brackets are used on some production cars for this. I've got larger PBR front brakes that were supplied with the kit. What do you think it could be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you taken the time to bed the brakes?
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I had another problem show up while driving to and from the appointment. When applying the brakes at a very low speed, say 5 mph, there is an alarming loud moan and high frequency shudder coming from the front brakes. I believe anti-moan brackets are used on some production cars for this. I've got larger PBR front brakes that were supplied with the kit. What do you think it could be?
    I believe factory anti-moan brackets are only available for the rear brakes. They bolt to the back of the main caliper bracket and mount to the axle tube with a u-bolt. If the sound is coming from the front brakes, something else is happening. I had PBR's on my Mk3 and never heard anything from them. Something loose? Right pads? There are insulation pads or compound available for the pads. But maybe they just need to break in as mentioned.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

They make an anti-moan compound or disc brake compound (or similar), which I think is what Paul is referring to. It is essentially an adhesive that helps seal the brake pads to the caliper so it doesn't cause the vibration that can happen. Any auto parts store or even Walmart carries it. I think I would start with that, and since you have to get at the brakes to do it, a visual inspection might reveal something else that may have been overlooked. Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've only lightly bedded the brakes (several full force stops from 30-0). I obviously need to do a visual inspection but I'll definitely try bedding the brakes better and then try that anti-moan compound if it persists.

Gotta say, it was pretty un-nerving the first time I felt it. It felt like the brakes refused to grab.

Mike Forte came through once again and a new breather and air cleaner elbow are on their way . I'll document how that goes together before the next BAR appointment on 2/24, a week from today.

Thanks guys,

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't forget the PCV valve. You can see it it in the pic above. I forgot to have a sealed breather on the other side with a hose back to the air cleaner.
    Same difference! Rookie! I'm just kidding. I was missing both the first time I went.

As for the brakes, make sure you don't have a pad in backwards. It happens to the best of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same shudder and moan when I last replaced the brakes on my daily driver. New ceramic pads and new rotors. I thought I had bed them in well enough. I took it back out on the highway and laid on the brakes a few times from 60-ish. I made sure no one was behind me . Did that a few times and haven't heard or felt anything since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    I had the same shudder and moan when I last replaced the brakes on my daily driver. New ceramic pads and new rotors. I thought I had bed them in well enough. I took it back out on the highway and laid on the brakes a few times from 60-ish. I made sure no one was behind me . Did that a few times and haven't heard or felt anything since.
    I'll try to re-bed the brakes today. I will be bringing the car to the shop to install the new breather and air hose I got from Mike Forte this afternoon. The part that attaches to the air cleaner is a 90 degree port and I have to pick up some tubing from the local hose company. The new BAR appointment is tomorrow at 7AM. Here's hoping this is FINALLY the last step before registration!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Make sure that the hose you get is fuel rated, the BAR up here started failing builds due to people using any hose that would fit and NOT fuel rated.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,
    Make sure that the hose you get is fuel rated, the BAR up here started failing builds due to people using any hose that would fit and NOT fuel rated.
    Doug
    The Ref was very specific about that, mentioning it several times. So yes, I'll make sure the hose is fuel rated. Great tip!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ref was very specific about that, mentioning it several times. So yes, I'll make sure the hose is fuel rated. Great tip!

Fuel rated is NOT what you are looking for, the hose must be EMISSIONS rated hose. Most emissions rated hose will also be fuel rated. All fuel hose is not emissions rated. Be careful.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Fuel rated is NOT what you are looking for, the hose must be EMISSIONS rated hose. Most emissions rated hose will also be fuel rated. All fuel hose is not emissions rated. Be careful.
    Yep, will make note of that when purchasing today. Thanks Frank!

Post Thanks / Like
    Since my local NAPA only carries emissions compliant fuel hose I forgot to mention that. I just did not want you to buy a vacuum or heater hose and fail again. Frank, thanks for the clarification.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Since my local NAPA only carries emissions compliant fuel hose I forgot to mention that. I just did not want you to buy a vacuum or heater hose and fail again. Frank, thanks for the clarification.
    Doug
    I was going to go to the local hose place but I think I'll check out NAPA first.

Thanks Doug!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

I hope it goes well in the morning! I look forward to hearing that it is all good to go.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After the car failed the first BAR exam I contacted Mike Forte to get the proper fittings. He sent me a pic of the two options he had in stock for sealed breathers:

I went with the chrome (duh) and he also sent out an air filter right angle fitting to make sure the hose wouldn't kink. He made sure to tell me to use rivets instead of the screws as the screws have a reputation for loosening and then being ingested by the engine! Once I got the package on Monday night I compared the fitting with what the air breather had and went to NAPA to pick up 2 feet of 1/2" ID PCV/ EEC hose. It came out of a box and had a nice curve already built in so I decided to do without the right angle fitting. Once that was in the car was ready to go.

This AM we were up before dawn to drive to the 7AM appointment:

I drove separately so that I could split after to go to work. As Phil exited the freeway I noticed he was having some trouble but he managed to make it to the inspection station. He parked it in front and since we were a little early we headed out to get a quick bite before inspection. Once we got back I went to move the car to the garage and found that it wouldn't shift! I quick call to Mike Forte confirmed what I was thinking: a limiting bolt on the shifter had probably backed out and was preventing the shifter from working. Unfortunately the shifter boot was installed and would have to be cut out to get to the limiting bolts. That stupid trim ring had taken over an HOUR to install! Grrr! So I borrowed a dull packing knife from the inspector and hacked out the boot. Sure enough, the bolt HAD backed out:

OK so now I'll have to spend another hour putting in a new boot but guess what?!?!

WE PASSED!!

I even got the inspector to put the sticker of the 2x2 frame under the steering wheel instead of on the firewall! YES!

That drama over, I headed off to work and Phil is on his way to the DMV to GET PLATES!! WOOHOO!!!

After a week or so to give the paperwork a chance to be integrated into the DMV system we'll go to AAA and get the plates switched to TROJAN and order another set in classic black and yellow.

We're over the hump and LEGAL!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast