Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: California registration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    John, I'm no expert but the last thing you want to do is give the DMV any reason to register the car as 1976 or later. There are three different inspections required.

1. CA Highway Patrol - they wanted receipts to confirm I didn't use stolen parts...that's what he told me. They assign a VIN and attach a VIN plate...sometimes...I did not get a VIN plate. I showed him the FFR serial number stamped to the 2X2 tube under the dash and he used that. FREE

2. Brake and light inspection - needs to be done by CA Highway Patrol certified inspection station...I needed the lights adjusted so my bill was $160 for the adjustment and inspections.

3. SMOG inspection/exemption - You have to get this done at a DMV certified SMOG Referee. The two in my area are Community College Automotive departments. The inspector was a "car" guy and we spent most of the time bench racing. I provided a bunch of photos documenting that I built the car. I also had to have a PVC system. Never took the car off the trailer or started the engine. FREE

Below is the final goal.

Last edited by CJBergquist; 04-30-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09