Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump Question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fuel Pump Question

My donor pallet did not come with any wire harnesses other than the body harness from my 2007 car. I thought the instrument cluster was the only harness that I really needed and I picked one up at the local junkyard. The junkyard car I found had been we'll picked over by the time I got to it and was missing the engine, most of the front harness and all gas tank/fuel electrical parts so the cluster connectors were my only score there.

Question for the subaru experts.

Can I just connect the fuel pump to 12V though a relay? Will that cause any problems or does the control module regulate the pressure and I should continue working at finding one (I found 1 in modesto, a 2 hour drive from home)?

Thanks

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The fuel pump module reduces power to the fuel pump during idle and low usage, it does not measure or regulate the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure is regulated mechanically by a device located on the fuel rail after the last fuel injector. The fuel pump module does other things like reducing emissions and safety. Your car would run if you just connected the fuel pump to 12V via a relay however its not recommend and the motor will probably have a reduced life span.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ what he said. I know a few people running the fuel pump directly off of 12V but I'm planning to use the fuel pump control module.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. On the Z we track, we have run both with the module and without and get much more track time out of a tank when the module is there so I was wondering if the subaru was the same. I'll make the road trip to modesto unless I find one closer in the next week or so.
    Thanks for the quick responses.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    These modules are going for $30-40 on Ebay, it may save you the 4 hour round trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't get the rear harness off my donor either. I had Brian (iWire) source a fuel pump controller and add it in for the reasons mentioned above. (AFAIK, it's the only thing you need from the rear)

Post Thanks / Like
    I called Brian at iWire and he was HUGELY helpful even though I wasn't sourcing a harness from him but he offered to help source parts. Wow!
    -Steve