Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "You were right dear" a bit of a story

Post Thanks / Like

"You were right dear" a bit of a story

Here's a tale of the mouth getting you into trouble.

Last year my GF decided to get involved in a charity for the local marathon. She called me and asked if I could suggest a good local one. I suggested the Firefighter's Burn Treatment Society as it is completely transparent and has no administrative costs and, oh yeah, I'm a firefighter.

She and her company did great and they raised a few thousand dollars.

This year when she started to train for it again and says you should enter and raise money for them too. Me:"Umm. Well you see, I can't run because of the bouncing and jouncing." Her "Well you could walk." I'm trapped and have to do this because it's more my charity than hers.

Here comes the really good part. Her: You should join the walking group at the Running Room." You ready for this? Me: "I know I can walk 21 kilometers so I don't need to." Her: Well you might like the social aspect and enjoy the regular walks." Me: "Pfft. I don't think so."

That was 4 months ago. Last night I walked in the cold and rain for 1.5 hours at a pace most couldn't do for 5 minutes. I was sucked into this by a big vortex and am now excited to get out for my walk and determined to do so at the fastest pace possible. I wear a heart rate monitor and GPS tracker; $150.00 sneakers and high tech clothes to wick away the moisture. I know what the dog feels when he's been inside the house all day and then sees the leash.

The worst thing is that I'm reminded on a regular basis that I didn't need or want to do this. Her: Yeah. You won't like this." I just hate being wrong and now must admit I was all wrong almost every Wednesday and Sunday when our groups meet together.

My goal is to walk the half marathon in 2:35 which certainly won't win me any prizes, but is still pretty quick when on foot must always be on the ground.

On a side note I've lost 15 pounds; can walk for several hours with a 160 heart rate; have a 50 resting heart rate and have something to take up a bunch of my free time. Oh yeah. I've also gotten 60 plus sponsors for this year. I also get to say "You were right dear" at least once a week.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orrr.......you can just get rid of the girlfriend!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Orrr.......you can just get rid of the girlfriend!
    Nahh. I've found a good one. Really cool when she's a challenge; beautiful and really smart. Also one of the nicest people I've met.

I'll just suck it up and think a little more carefully next time she makes a suggestion....like two weeks next year in Jamaica instead of one. Already booked. Woohoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Somebody's in luv...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    As someone who has been married for 37 years, my advice to a the newly married man is: "The three words that will keep your marriage happy for many years ... "You're right dear!"

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    I started walking about 5 years ago when I reached a weight that bothered me. I walk about 3 miles 5 or 6 times per week. I lost just under 40 pounds. Kept is off until recently when I slack up and gained about 10 back. I am shutting off the computer to right walk right now....you motivated me.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's 4 days till my big day. The Bluenose Marathon is Sunday. My last real training session was tonight and I decided to see how far I could push myself. I went about 43 minutes with an average heart rate of 172. I'd have to say that's not bad for a 52 year-old. I really felt great afterward too.

I don't think I can maintain that for 21.2 kilometers, but I think I can average 162 which will give me a fairly decent time for a beginner. Anyone who wants to throw a few bucks at the charity can sponsor me and you can see all the good things they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW. I did do my big walk and felt fantastic. I'm entering another in the fall.

One more thing.........I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting married........again. Been single since 1996 and never figured I'd try it again since the previous one was such a disaster. I can't let this one get away. Next April some time I'll be all tied up.

Here's an example of why. I basically stopped working on my car a couple years ago with it mostly just needing paint. Other priorities and such. She said to me the other day "I'd like to use the Cobra for our just married car." Of course this means I have to finish the car, including paint, for the big day. How many women would shift a guy's priority TO the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quest, congrats on the walk and the engagement, awesome for sure, sounds indeed like you have a good catch there. Now get the car done!!
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    BTW. I did do my big walk and felt fantastic. I'm entering another in the fall.

One more thing.........I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting married........again. Been single since 1996 and never figured I'd try it again since the previous one was such a disaster. I can't let this one get away. Next April some time I'll be all tied up.

Here's an example of why. I basically stopped working on my car a couple years ago with it mostly just needing paint. Other priorities and such. She said to me the other day "I'd like to use the Cobra for our just married car." Of course this means I have to finish the car, including paint, for the big day. How many women would shift a guy's priority TO the car?
    Questor,

Sounds like your really found a "keeper". Good for you! I am happy to say that I did as well. My wife actually saw the GTM at a Car Show, here in Charlotte; and within seconds of seeing it looked me dead in the eyes, and told me "You have to build this car". I'm thinking to myself. "I've never built anything like this in my life". But what actually came out was, "You're absolutely right Sweetheart". That same year she sent me to the Richard Petty Driving Experience at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

"How many women would shift a guy's priority TO the car?"
    It happens... Just not very often...

Take Care, and Congratulations on your accomplishments (and upcoming wedding).
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081