Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hidden stereo

Post Thanks / Like

Hidden stereo

Hello again, I want to get a stereo for my MK IV that cannot be seen. Maybe a small receiver under the dash with a couple small speakers behind each seat. There are a few companies online that sell packages like this, usually with a subwoofer and remote. I am not so much interested in AM/FM as I am blue tooth from my IPhone. Has anyone installed one of these? If so any recommendations on which company to use? The most important thing for me is that it remains hidden. I want my cockpit very clean and basic. Just a steering wheel and guages.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a kit in a customers car. Its a blue tooth amp that you can plug speakers into Look up Memphis car audio Model 16-sabts
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with as basic receiver in the trunk and installed a remote control senson under the dash that cannot be seen and works well with the remote that came with the unit. My speakers are on the panel behind the seats. I also used the lower dash support to install a charger outlet, usb connection and a stereo jack so I can charge my phone, connect my ipod or mp3 player. It works great and also cannot be seen. Since I don't have an antenna I use my cell phone with Iheart radio to listen to local FM broadcasts. The exhaust often overwhelms the stereo and you will never get a concert hall experience. I spent enough money to get some tunes that sound good.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did not try to hide mine but a blue tooth amp & an iPod will work fine. Problem will be your speakers, don't think small units will work with the exhaust, tire & wind noise.

I have 4x5.5". Two are under the doors. There are two more in the sides of a console that visually connects the dash with the trans tunnel. Something you don't want.

Can hear the music in most cruise settings. Throttle inputs of any kind will overwhelm it.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    How about ear buds for your iphone, nothing in the car.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is a head unit you could put in the trunk and it has a remote control and also bluetooth so your phone can control it. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...X-GS610BT.html

Some others go with boat units like this one and hide it in the glove box. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...tic-GMR-1.html
    Picked up Kit 7/20/09, Tear down stage complete, Donor 2003 Cobra 4.6L supercharged, 25k miles on engine, IRS, 6-speed. Attended Build School October 08. Mods done, frame powder coated 12/2012, First Start 7/31/13, gocart 8/2/13, Check out my blog
    http://venomxs.com/index.php?view=ca...tent&Itemid=57

Post Thanks / Like
    Kicker do a similar thing

http://www.kicker.com/power_sports

Although like the Memphis system I don't thing 25watts per channel will compete favourably with the sidepipes!
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have 2 5" Polk Audio DB501 speakers installed in the X panels below the doors and 2 6x9" Polk Audio DXi690 3-way car speakers installed just behind the rollbar legs in an added wall partition (speakers are not visible).
    I'm powering them with a Kenwood Kac-8405 720-Watt Amplifier (got REALLY good reviews), with a blue-tooth connection.
    I have not installed the Amp yet, that is this winters to-do project. It will go behind the passenger seat.
    I plan to use my iPhone for stored music, Pandora, and an FM tuner.
    I don't expect the music quality to be like my home stereo, or even close to my Bose in my daily driver, but volume should not be a problem!

If I don't want to disturb the peace, I can always switch to my ear-buds.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap 720w!!
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cChrisM View Post
    Some others go with boat units like this one and hide it in the glove box. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...tic-GMR-1.html
    I really like this option! Same size as a gauge.

Post Thanks / Like
    During my last build, I installed this Infinity head unit in the glovebox. With two top rated Polk Audio speakers in the rear cockpit wall, two smaller ones in the front sills, and an Alpine power amp, it's a nice setup, and pretty hidden except for the speakers on the back wall. Those could be more hidden if desired. These are the specific details: Infinity PRV250 AM/FM/BT Stereo Receiver, Polk Audio MM651UM 6.5-Inch Coax Ultra Marine Speakers (rear), Polk Audio DB501 5-Inch Coax Marine Rated Speakers (front), Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier, Dakota ANT-1000 Digital Electronic Antenna. Sounds great in the garage and when sitting at car shows. While driving, not very useful. We've used it only a handful of times. It has to be up so loud it becomes annoying after awhile, plus entertains all the cars around us. Not something I'm a fan of. Starting another build, and it won't have a sound system. IMO, one of those things that seems like a good idea in concept but not very practical for these cars. The earphone approach is another way to go I guess. I think there is some question about the legality in some places. Plus, to be honest, after several seasons now and thousands of miles, I'm plenty entertained without listening to tunes.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info. This is good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    edwardb, while I agree a stereo on full blast isn't always a good thing, I'm going the opposite direction on my current build. I'd like to have tunes at least once in a while after almost 5 years of driving without it. Of course this isn't my car but I'd do it again for my own build. I'll reword my latest post from my build thread to explain what follows. For reference and more pics, Click HERE.

I installed an Alpine amplifier and 4 speakers (2 5x9, 2 4x4) in a small ~3" box behind my cockpit cubby. The part of the bulkhead wall that I cut to create the cubby could be covered with mesh to hide the speakers. There is no head unit; a smartphone can drive it either with bluetooth or a simple headphone jack. Here are some recent pics to show you the setup. Again, refer to my build thread to get particulars on wiring and forward speaker placement...

I created a small box for the amp and rear speakers, and finished the inside with soundboard. I created and decorated the trunk wall to hide the speakers and the amp when the trunk lid is open. The trunk wall swings open and shut very cleanly and the wall to side wall gap is extremely small so it is turning out to be a very nice piece.

Here's the trunk wall in the down position. Servicing the amp if needed will be a snap:

The clearance is tight! No buzzing or other weirdness when I tested the speakers at full volume...

Rear wall:

CLOSE up of the piano hinge and the matching engine-turned stripes on the base angle stock:

In the next shot you can see the size of the cubby and stereo box. Pardon my dust, it's a work in progress...:

Here's a shot of the speakers which shows how hidden they are. Oh who am I kidding I just love this shot(!)

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)