BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any reason to not go Brembo over Subaru 4pot?

Post Thanks / Like

Any reason to not go Brembo over Subaru 4pot?

I know the STI Brembo are a bit over kill but with current prices on re-manufactured calipers vs new oem calipers vs used. It seems like a used set of Brembos for $1k-$1200 seem like the best bang for the buck. I like wilwoods as well but seems most Subaru track guys tend to not like the reliability of wilwoods.

From what I have seen most of the 4pot set ups are about $1k new for OEM calipers most remans are charging more then OEM new if you don't have a core.

Brembos are expensive new but there are some nice calipers going for $1000-$1200 range.

Any reason why most talk around here seems to be using the 4pot over the Brembos? Are the Brembos just to much brake for such a light car?

I searched around didn't see all to much on the topic other then basic WRX calipers seem to more then fine for 80% of owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I know the STI Brembo are a bit over kill but with current prices on re-manufactured calipers vs new oem calipers vs used. It seems like a used set of Brembos for $1k-$1200 seem like the best bang for the buck. I like wilwoods as well but seems most Subaru track guys tend to not like the reliability of wilwoods.

From what I have seen most of the 4pot set ups are about $1k new for OEM calipers most remans are charging more then OEM new if you don't have a core.

Brembos are expensive new but there are some nice calipers going for $1000-$1200 range.

Any reason why most talk around here seems to be using the 4pot over the Brembos? Are the Brembos just to much brake for such a light car?

I searched around didn't see all to much on the topic other then basic WRX calipers seem to more then fine for 80% of owners.
    I could be wrong so someone with experience please chime in, but my understanding with regard to most using the 4 pot stock brakes over other options is that the brakes were designed for a car almost twice as heavy. With the extreme reduction in, weight and design in the car. the Bigger aftermarket brakes are just not needed from a performance perspective.

Now thats not to say the brembo's and others don't look awesome, but with the cost to upgrade, there are other areas to spend your budget on performance before the brakes...

Keep my honest guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    After driving around for a couple hundred miles with my stock 2002 WRX brakes, I can honestly say I see absolutely no performance benefit to upgrading the brakes. For looks, yes, for performance, no. I haven't raced or autocrossed yet, but I've pushed the braking limit a few times and the donor ones feel and perform great. I may put on a pretty shade of powder coat eventually, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the difference in rotor weight between the 4/2 setup and the Brembos? I'd imagine if the stock 2002 WRX brakes are adequate for this application, you'd want to limit that rotating mass if possible so you don't hamper the acceleration. I think the caliper weights are fairly close since the 4/2's are cast iron (I think) and the Brembos are aluminum.

But I will say, the Brembos look really sweet!

Side note/OT: I have the 4/2 setup on my 2005 WRX and when I rebuilt and painted them, I got new decals printed. The guy that made the decals said he could do some custom ones in the Subaru style for anyone looking to keep a Subaru motif in their build

818brakes.png
    Last edited by milkman dan; 09-02-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    I have stock brake rotors and calipers with good pads. Car felt amazing on the track with them and they didn't fade from heat at all.

I think anything more than stock brakes or lightweight Wilwoods are overkill. Just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the brakes on a lotus 2-11. Small car, small brakes. With such big brakes on a light car you'll lose some pedal feel and modulation. Brakes should be sized for the car's weight and expected top speeds (to mitigate fade).

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...p-1280x960.jpg
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running Brembos (mainly for looks). There is going to be added cost with fitting the rear calipers. The front calipers will bolt right onto the wrx spindles but the rears won't because they are meant to go onto sti spindles, which use 27 spline axles. The wrx and FFR axles are 24 spline. You'll need to do ONE of the following for the rears:
    1. Get adapter brackets and rotors, which is what I had to do (http://www.fastwrx.com/products/rear...-kit-02-05-wrx). This lets you keep the wrx 5 speed trans, FFR axles, and wrx rear spindles.
    2. Run an Sti 6 speed trans so that it will work with the sti axles and sti rear spindles.
    3. Run sti rear spindles and buy custom axles to work with the wrx 5 speed trans.
    4. Run sti rear spindles and axles and upgrade the center diff (LSD would work) in the wrx 5 speed to work with the sti axles.

Post Thanks / Like
    The adapter brackets are needed regardless if you run the subaru 4 pots or the Brembos so I figured the cost would be there anyways. Both are around the same price for the brackets. How do you like the brembos? Do them seem like to much brake or do they feel good?

I understand the small OEM calipers work well as well, but I am really just looking for more details on the 4pots vs the Brembos at the moment. I know its over kill but end of the day I really like the look of the caliper and performance. Brakes are the only thing i plan to "rice" out on i know i know... But I will make up for the added weight by working out haha
    Last edited by redfogo; 09-02-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't driven the 818 yet but I'm very close to go-karting. I'll let you know how they feel. A lot of it has to do with brake pads as well. The brembos look awesome though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    I haven't driven the 818 yet but I'm very close to go-karting. I'll let you know how they feel. A lot of it has to do with brake pads as well. The brembos look awesome though!
    Don't rush to judge in go-kart mode. My brakes felt like crap when I first put them on, and barely seemed to slow the car when I was go-karting. I'm not sure why, considering they came straight off the donor where they worked fine. After a bit of driving around, everything settled in and now they're great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Look at the brakes on a lotus 2-11. Small car, small brakes. With such big brakes on a light car you'll lose some pedal feel and modulation. Brakes should be sized for the car's weight and expected top speeds (to mitigate fade).

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...p-1280x960.jpg
    Ugh, the 2-Eleven is freaking gorgeous. The 3-Eleven has fairly small brakes as well (though larger as the car is a little heavier and is faster). Very good point on brake size vs. weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the OE brakes will do a great job on this car and should be fine for track use. Personally I am on a mission the keep the car light and reduce the un-sprung weight, which is the main reason for going with 299mm AP rotor and hat and 4 piston calipers saving almost 40lb.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have read though Brembos are about 13lbs each and the Subaru 4pots are 12lbs each. Not to much of a difference but I am sure the rotor is what makes them far more heavy? If that's true i see why the Subaru 4 ports might be the better bet?

Brembo-http://thedreamscars.blogspot.com/2012/11/upgrading-sti-brembo-4-pot-2-pot-to-ap.html

4pots-http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152678

OE smalls- Not sure but since they are cast I'm sure they aren't to far off from the weight of the rest?
    Last edited by redfogo; 09-02-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go all out! 6 pot front, 4 pot rear. Smallest wheel I can run is a 17"

VGTSlxA.jpg
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Redfogo and STiPWRD. I have the Brembos on front just for looks. I had the 06 WRX rear stock set up; it was kind of weak. Now I have the Wilwood 140-13013-RD on the rear. I'm still braking (get it?) it in, but it seems weak. If it does not improve a lot I will install the 120-9749 calipers (increased piston area)
    Yellow stuff pads throw off lots of brake dust!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman dan View Post
    What's the difference in rotor weight between the 4/2 setup and the Brembos? I'd imagine if the stock 2002 WRX brakes are adequate for this application, you'd want to limit that rotating mass if possible so you don't hamper the acceleration. I think the caliper weights are fairly close since the 4/2's are cast iron (I think) and the Brembos are aluminum.

But I will say, the Brembos look really sweet!

Side note/OT: I have the 4/2 setup on my 2005 WRX and when I rebuilt and painted them, I got new decals printed. The guy that made the decals said he could do some custom ones in the Subaru style for anyone looking to keep a Subaru motif in their build

818brakes.png
    The decals looks great... How are yours holding up over time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The decals themselves are holding up just fine (primer -> high temp -> decal -> clear). I recently noticed some chipping towards the top of the caliper where I got a little sloppy putting a wheel back on

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not waste your money on huge brakes. You DO NOT NEED THEM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Do not waste your money on huge brakes. You DO NOT NEED THEM.
    Then I'd take as these would be to big?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I decided to grab the 4/2 pot set up. For anyone looking for this set up right now check out rockauto you can grab rear 2pots for $157 each and they come painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine look pretty rusty so I'll probably get a set of reman calipers. There are some good deals out there for stock brakes and I think its worth it vs rebuilding and painting my donors brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    But they look so pretty, oh well wasted my money

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the 4 pots on my WRX for a few years and a few weeks ago went to change my pads and one of the pistons was seized. I put stock calipers on and honestly, it feels the same. Spend your money elsewhere, in my opinion. If I suddenly end up with a pile of cash I feel like burning I would get the brembos on my WRX for looks. On an 818 I wouldn't want the extra weight of the Brembos.

Post Thanks / Like
    My brembos came on my donor at the time. I had the option of upgrading my then current 06 and throwing those on my then daily Wrx but I decided to stick them on the 818.