Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Infinity box worth it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Infinity box worth it?

I have been looking at getting an Infinity box. Is it worth it? I have been working on my own harness. Its looking to be slimming down decently, however it seems an infinity box would give the cleanest look and operation. Any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it in my roadster. It solves some electrical issues such as turn signals and 4 way flashers. It does simplify the wiring but requires mounting several large boxes that need to be accessible. For some more $$$ you can get the keyless one button start and security on the key fob. The down side is the pain if it fails and some have said it drains the battery in a few days.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have installed ... Well almost finished the install!

My build thread has a lot on Infinity or ISIS as it was previously known.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Roadster-Build

I have not energized the system yet so I cannot offer any operational opinion.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning to go with Infinity Box. It made the lights and switches much simpler, and provided a huge amount of flexibility there, but did nothing to deal with he ECU, fuel pump control, etc. In the end that is what caused me to switch to a custom harness as wiring that part of the car was still going to require a harness diet and plenty of wire splicing.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    http://infinitybox.com/wp-content/up...g-Addendum.pdf

It looks like the fuel pump is wired with there box. I'm cent think of anything there harness is missing. It will send the power signal over to the ECU as well. The list seems complete I just don't know if I'm missing anything.
    Last edited by redfogo; 11-08-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't turn out that simple as I was wiring it, but then I was probably over thinking it. I do have a system that I won't use on the 818. Was planning to use it on a future race car build as I think is it is a good system but would sell it if someone wants it.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Redfogo, what are your requirements? You are asking if Infinitybox is worth it, but you're not saying about what. It might be for some but not for others, it all depends of your requirements.

Infinity wires up the fuel pump and ECU.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Redfogo, what are your requirements? You are asking if Infinitybox is worth it, but you're not saying about what. It might be for some but not for others, it all depends of your requirements.

Infinity wires up the fuel pump and ECU.

Looking at it as an alternate wiring product really just checking to see if anyone is using it and how they like it. I'm currently just slimming down my OEM harness. But after reading about the infinity box it seemed interesting so I figured maybe ask how others like the product. I am building an 818c comes in Sunday! But to pass time I have been working on my harness its slimmed down allot however I can tell I will have extend a lot of wires which is fine. But just looking at the infinity seems cleaner solution. Iwire would be nice but it costs more and uses older tech. I don't mind a little extra work when it will cost less then iwire and it is top of the line electrical.

So really just looking to see other peoples option, I know allot like Iwire. But infinity just seems like a cheaper and more powerful product

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it but it's hard to make a case for a $1,800 wiring system. The trigger circuits are done by grounding inputs to the master cell which eliminates a lot of hot wires behind the dash. I like the flexibility it offers but reprogramming has to be done by the factory and another module is required to flash the code into memory. But I didn't find anything I would reprogram because it comes with everything defined as I needed.

I'm not quite finished so I don't have any input on the battery drain that has been reported (battery dead in three or four days). Hopefully that is the fault of something else but if that turns out to be true, the whole system is worthless and I will be very unhappy. The only solution to that will be to disconnect the battery when it's parked.
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    The battery drain can be overcome with the addition of their battery monitoring add on.

http://shop.infinitybox.com/inRESERV...p/infresvz.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    The battery drain can be overcome with the addition of their battery monitoring add on.

http://shop.infinitybox.com/inRESERV...p/infresvz.htm
    I get that function but that seem a little bit stupid if you had to buy that to stop a battery from draining in 3-4 days. Hope that's not the case at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I get that function but that seem a little bit stupid if you had to buy that to stop a battery from draining in 3-4 days. Hope that's not the case at least.
    I'm with redfogo on this. The inReserve adds a latching relay to run the battery down faster then disconnects the system at 12.2V all for $200+ and a manual battery disconnect if you plan to leave it parked for awhile.. A $30 battery disconnect switch is just as effective.
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    The system was a must for me as 99% of my wiring is custom and I wanted Infinity's functions. However I needed some more functions, some of which Infinity cannot handle. For the others I need reprogramming. There are 2 programs, one for the code that runs the rules and one for the web interface if you use inTOUCH NET. I wanted to control through my tablet and phone, so that system was interesting.

When reprogramming using inCODE, if you do it within one month of purchase you ship back the module and they refund you the purchase cost, minus shipping, minus $50. Not that bad.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input! Looks like I may go this option after I get the funds together for this step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have one in my Roadster, but I didn't do the wiring. My thoughts:
    1) It is different to every other wiring system. It just works differently, and it will take a bit to get your head around it. Once you do, it is straight forward and it all makes sense.
    2) The system is *way* more capable that 99.9% of builds will need. Want to add door poppers, remote start, in car lighting etc. It can all do it, easily. The basic stuff that every car will want/need, is all out of the box. Just wire it all into the predefined channel and it will work.
    3) It has a safe mode, immobiliser etc. all built in.
    4) My rear power cell is mounted so it is still visible in the boot. It looks like a flux capacitor when its all running. That's awesome to me, but might not be to everyone's taste.

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have one in my Roadster, but I didn't do the wiring. My thoughts:
    1) It is different to every other wiring system. It just works differently, and it will take a bit to get your head around it. Once you do, it is straight forward and it all makes sense.
    2) The system is *way* more capable that 99.9% of builds will need. Want to add door poppers, remote start, in car lighting etc. It can all do it, easily. The basic stuff that every car will want/need, is all out of the box. Just wire it all into the predefined channel and it will work.
    3) It has a safe mode, immobiliser etc. all built in.
    4) My rear power cell is mounted so it is still visible in the boot. It looks like a flux capacitor when its all running. That's awesome to me, but might not be to everyone's taste.

Martin
    #4 love it your read my mind when I 1st started looking at them that's all I could think of. Glad to see someone also thought this and did it would love to see pics .

Post Thanks / Like
    Would the infinity box word with any ECU? I am hoping to use the ECOboost engine in my build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Cuz it only provides 12v+ to the ECU. So it's the same as if you were to get your feed from the std fuse box.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah OK... For some reason I was thinking that more engine sensors and such went into the Infinity box.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, there are no sensors at all. It's just wiring and 3 boxes, 1 Master and 2 Power to provide feed to accessories. Everything is an "accessory" with this kit, you provide power to it and the Mastercell controls a bunch of things based on triggers you or the car sends to it via the ground wires.

But you can hook up sensors to the Mastercell. With the ground of a sensor used as a trigger to power something, but there is no "control" and no readings, it's just an ON or an OFF.

It does not control injection, spark, etc. It just provides the main 12V to them.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Infinity-box had a pre-black Friday sale so I picked up a kit. Plan to document complete wiring guide when I get to that point. Originally I was just dieting my OEM harness aobut 70% complete on it, but just seemed worth it to try out Infinity-box less room for possible errors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Infinity-box had a pre-black Friday sale so I picked up a kit. Plan to document complete wiring guide when I get to that point. Originally I was just dieting my OEM harness aobut 70% complete on it, but just seemed worth it to try out Infinity-box less room for possible errors.
    Red-

I didn't hear about the sale. How big of a discount did they offer? I hope you get yours soon, and it exceeds your expectations!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Red, did you get your kit yet? I placed an order on BFriday for some components and they haven't shipped it yet.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope I emailed 2 weeks ago sounds like the holidays got in the way of getting thing out on time I'm planning to email them tomorrow to check in.

Post Thanks / Like
    They were offering 20%-10% off everything depending on the day you ordered. I'm excited to get it and am planning to document the wiring process on my website. To help everyone else in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh it depended on the day ordered? Did we know the day with 20%s? I got 10, ordered a little before BFriday day, could have waited for a 20% day, but was worth it anyway.

They told me a while back they got a lot more sales than expected, even though 2 days after my order they said it was packed and ready to go, I just got a replied yesterday morning saying they will look it up where it's at.

Let's wait and see, then.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah if your ordered on 11/20/15 you got 20% off. It was a one day only thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered on 22nd, that might be why.
    Still no news on my end, though. Surprising how long it takes, they really must not have been prepared for that.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a lot of parts are/were on back order along with large holiday orders. I called them and they said I should have mine put together by next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tnx for the heads up!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add about the question in the OP.

While doing my initial tests, I made a mistake and blew up a diode in the Mastercell. I sent it back to the guys, they repaired it for FREE and shipped it back to me for FREE. Hello!!!! I am in Canada they are in US! For FREE! That is awesome.

The guys at IBox are sometimes busy when they get a huge load of parts to setup and ship. But once they are in a normal work day, they respond often and don't hesitate to send an email again if after a week you get nothing. Jay, the owner or co-owner, is often on the road, so be patient or send again. You can also use their Contact Form on their website, the respond to all questions from there.

When you ask for a code update, they test it using YOUR complete config before emailing you the code for update. If you fail to test it properly, chances are you screwed up on something on your end. They do quality assurance on their products. And they challenge you when you need a special function, they do all they have to do to ensure your function won't brake something else in the system, cuz they want to keep it reliable. They work with you and for you.

It's high priced but you get a lot for it and free repair+shipping is very rare these days. Will I get a free repair all the time I don't know, but usually if you blew up something it's when you test your system and usually you test it when you build it and connect your stuff. Once the car works, you don't need much to test again.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it worth it? Looks like to me it's a bunch of semi smart relays, wire, and connectors for 1550 bucks.

I'm so confused on what it actually does because the website has to use hip names for everything they sell. It took me 10 minutes to navigate and find the 818 kit.

iWire seems to be awesome, too bad it's 2,200 bucks.

Since I'm not scared of wiring, I'm going to give it a shot on my own.

If I was a little worried, I guess I'd spend the extra to go iwire. what's an extra 650 when your already spending 1550 and would still have to do half the work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carrera1984 View Post
    Is it worth it?
    Question answered in post #7.

Unfortunately you don't specify what you are trying to achieve so it's impossible to say whether it's worth it or not ''for you''.
    Is the 818 worth it? How about the soon to be new 911 GT2 RS? For some yes, for others no.

But I think you almost already answered the question by your comments about the IBox being a bunch of parts, website you don't like and that iWire seems awesome. There's a reason why you seem more attracted by iWire and less by IBox, could you share that reason? This might help answering your question.

I don't know exactly what you plan on doing with your 818, but if you're not going Subaru then the IBox is worth considering. If you want a show car high-tech wiring that you want to show off, the IBox can do it. If you want a button-switch free cockpit and use your phone or tablet on the console, definitely worth it! If you need special features that are hard to get with simple wiring or would require a computer (rules) cuz relays aren't enough, the IBox is worth considering.

In my case I don't care how IBox is naming their parts or if the website isn't easy to use (that's not where I found answers to my wiring questions), even if it were sold at 3k it would still be worth it. It simplifies a lot documenting wiring diagrams and I really needed what this kit can offer me, I did use quite a lot of its potential already. I did doubt my choice a few times, but after testing the wiring and having my latest specific to me code update, that kit is a buy decision I would do hands down again (assuming the same 818 kit).
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    For me the Iwire harness was worth ever penny just in the time savings alone. And it is a work of art.

Post Thanks / Like
    IWire is worth it if your looking for the plug and play simple and easy set up. Infinitybox will work if you want to DIY a harness. I'm still in the middle of wiring things up and making things work it's a lot of work to be honest and not for the faint of heart. I will publish my wiring guide once I finally finish my set up still working on it! Should make wiring up the Infiniry box and gutting the OEM harness a lot easier.
    Last edited by redfogo; 03-18-2016 at 09:48 PM.