So i had planned on buying a RaceLogic system but was putting it off due to cost/build progress.

When i went to buy one online this week I found that they are no longer made/sold/supported. I hit the search engine and found that they were widely regarded as the best units with over a hundred configurable options.

I got to thinking this is quite an easy system to recreate.

First a little history on me, I write software and design hardware products for a living so i have the skills. I actively write software every day in 6 different computer languages. Last week i pitched 3 new product ideas at work, this week i demo'd working prototypes for two of them, makes a total of 8 new products in the last 30 days. The company i work for is fairy small so I generally work alone.

I don't plan on selling these units however i do plan on releasing everything for free (code, circuits, etc). Someone else could make them or i could create some instructions on how to build one yourself.

So now that we have that established i was looking for input on features

Here is what i was thinking so far.
  • Hardware would be a fast DSP able to sample all of the ABS sensors thousands of times a second
  • Wifi Hookup to a laptop to edit every setting possible (no hard coded settings)
  • Easy hookup (plug the existing ECU cables into this unit, short cable hooks from unit to old ECU)
  • Wires in line with each fuel injector, reading the signal from the ECU and replaying the same values to the fuel injector. (with sub millisecond latency)
  • By removing fuel from one cylinder at a time throughout the firing order I can purposely cause a misfire without hurting the cat converter
  • Tap into the RPM wire from the ecu to get the timings... in theory i could also get this data from the injectors
  • Get a signal from the brake light switch (LAUNCH CONTROL :-))
  • Wifi settings control with an HTML interface that would work from any laptop or phone.
  • Some kind of interface in the car for selecting modes. (rain, mid, med, high)... I plan on using a full size LCD touch screen like a Tesla
  • JSON interface so settings and real time data can be set or read by other devices. (like my Tesla style screen)
  • Datalogging of ABS, RPM, etc data to SD card. (might not do this, JSON interface would allow a laptop to do this)
  • Full throttle shift, Pressing in the clutch could automatically keep the RPM locked or lower the RPM quickly to the the target shift point. Throwing the car in gear and releasing the clutch would release the RPM limit.
  • Wire for clutch peddle, used for full throttle shifting.
  • Accelerometer, measure Gforces, vehicle angle, etc.
  • Steering wheel angle sensor? I could determine if the cars drift was caused by wheel spin.

Configurable settings (some of these could be automatically learned but overridden with the laptop)
  • Pulses per wheel rotation for each wheel
  • Wheel dimensions front and rear (required to know if a wheel is slipping or just larger then the other wheel)
  • % threshold of slip before acting for each mode
  • Max drift angle (I could have the car hold a specific drift angle on an off ramp..) for each mode.
  • A map of slip %, etc by vehicle speed for each mode (You could potentially have it let you hold a drift under 100km but not allow any slip above 100, or completely disable at slow speeds)
  • maximum vehicle speed (i plan to set this to 999 but you could use it as a governor)
  • max RPM (another governor to prevent floating)
  • The ability to learn or input steering profiles (IE how much each wheel moves faster then the others when pulling a very tight turn to the left or right)
  • Launch control settings by mode... (Hold RPM, traction profile for a fast takeoff with limited wheel spin/hop)
  • Datalogging rate (how many samples per second)

This race logic page describes exactly how their system interrupted timings.
https://racelogic.support/05Traction...Setup_Software

I have read that wheel speed sensors will generally have a resistance of between 800 – 1.2 K ohms. To test the Corvette sensors i just need to jack the car up so a wheel can be spun freely then probe each side of each pair until a signal is found. Typically the signal will be a sinewave. (I have an Oscilloscope that will make short work of this)

Any features that i am missing here?
Anyone else interested in this?
I have only been thinking of this for a few hours so i'm sure there are more possibilities.

Once i get my GTM to start (hope to be ready for this very soon) i can start to work on a prototype. Step one is to create a board that datalogs the factory ABS sensors and gives me some data to work with, next up will be creating a circuit that allows me to disable fuel injector pulses from a laptop. I can then throw those two together and wrap an API and an interface around it.

I cant see this board costing more then $200 completed in an enclosure with wiring harnesses. I'm not sure how RaceLogic justified the insane price tag.