BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Horn sounds when I turn battery cutoff on

Post Thanks / Like

Horn sounds when I turn battery cutoff on

Today is the day I start testing out my wiring. I hooked up the battery for the first time and when I turn the battery cutoff switch on, the horn immediately sounds. Any ideas on what I may have done incorrectly that may save me troubleshooting time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a dash switch? If so maybe it's wired incorrectly or is not a momentary switch. obviously you have 12V going to the horn that is not being switched.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suspect a shared power or ground with something that the cutoff is not turning off. Is there anything wired directly to the battery before the cutoff switch off? EFI? Memory power for the radio? Alarm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a Top Gear episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNqeeY2S3k0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mystery solved. I resorted to opening up the dash button and it appears that the inards were not assembled properly, sticking the switch on. Thanks for the suggestions. Now on to the fan override switch. It does not seem to be working either. I have one pole connected to the dash harness "COOLING FAN" wire and the other pole wired to "SWITCH FEED" but fan does not come on in either position. Can anyone verify that is correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    On the cooling fan, there are a lot of variables, would need to see a diagram of how you wired it. what kind of fan switch do you have? The FFR temp switch? Percy's? Hayden? Etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the complete kit thermo switch tapped into the water neck connected to the green thermo switch wire. It looks from the ron francis manual that it is as simple as wiring dash switch with one connection to the brn-gauge feed/brn-fan switch wire and the other to orange cooling fan wire

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the manual, it says to not use the dash switch if you are using the thermo switch on the engine. Looking at the wiring, it looks like the switch dash triggers the relay power feed to the fan relay. The thermo switch triggers a ground connection (one wire style). It is possible to run an override switch, but you will have to run one wire from the switch to ground, then connect the other side of the switch to thermo switch wire. And don't forget to do as the manual tell you to connect the brown and orange together.

image.jpeg