I had read of people having issues with the steel centers getting stuck or being very difficult to remove. I once agin decided to follow Edwardb's lead and install some set screws to keep the center piece from being able to spin within the wheel.

I used 10-24 set screws in a 3/4" length. Cutting oil. A #25 drill bit. A 10-24 tap, silicone and a 90 degree pneumatic drill. I did have to shorten the handle on the tap so I had room to rotate it as the tap went in.

The idea is to get the center piece positioned and then drill through both the wheel and the center cap. Then tap the hole and insert the set screw. This is the area I was trying to get the set screw through for the best effect.

Prior to drilling you need to make sure the center piece position is right where you want it to be. I applied lots of tape to protect the wheel from the spinning drill head. I wanted to account for the thickness of the lug nut cover piece. I did not have anything that thickness to shim it with so I ended up putting the cover piece on upside down and then tightening down the spinner. This worked quite well. You just need to be careful taking the spinner on and off not to scratch the lug cover piece. I did not have an issue with them scratching though. In fact when I opened up the 4 small boxes each unit was contained in I realized I was missing 2 of the cover plates so I ended up using each one on two wheels while I wait for the other two to be shipped.

Getting the hole drilled that precise was a little tricky for me. Not much margin of error. On the first wheel I missed it a little high. I still got good engagement with the set screw but wasn't super pleased. At this point I decided I would use some silicone as well around the perimeter to hold the center piece in position. So I refined my process a little on the second wheel. I went ahead and put the silicone on and stuck the center piece in the hole. Then I put the lug cover plate on inverted and then the spinner. Then I drilled and tapped the hole and inserted the set screw. I put a liberal amount of blue thread lock on the set screw.

It worked really well. The lug cover plate covers the holes you drill and the center piece is pretty solidly affixed so hopefully no issues in the future trying to rotate the spinners off. Once again the learning curve on this was interesting to me. Took me 45-60 minutes for the first wheel and each one got easier and my hole location more right on as I went through the remaining 3 wheels. Down to about 15 minutes on the last one. Now that I have a good system I guess I will just have to build another one!