BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: #9196 475hp 347 MK4 Roadster Build (Insurance and Plates)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    The way we do it on the SBC in the dirt car is to grab a handful of different size hex nuts. Start with a 1/2" hex nut laying flat on the pickup and
    place the pan and gasket on and it should fail to seat against the pan rail. It should wobble a bit because it's resting on the nut. Drop down one
    size at a time on the hex nuts until the pan just starts to lay tight against the gasket and pan rail. Take that nut out and measure for thickness,
    subtract a 1/16" for gasket crush and you know the final clearance from the pan. Everyone has a few spare nuts laying around and you don't
    have to worry about keeping a batch of clay from drying out before the next use. KISS principal at it's best.
    Dale Berry
    That's another good technique, Dale. I do have to admit though...I was sharing my simple method. I withheld the technical method that I've used every time I've designed a pickup tube to be used with a specific pan...I figured not everyone has one of these sitting around in their garage. LOL.
    This is our Faro Edge measuring probe that is accurate to .0015".
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 11-14-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines