FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flowmaster 30" New Polished Stainless Steel Sidepipes

Post Thanks / Like

Flowmaster 30" New Polished Stainless Steel Sidepipes

A few years back I purchased the 30" Slimline Flowmaster mufflers for my MKIV and took them to a local industrial plating company to have them polished to a high shine. I put them back in the boxes and never got around to putting them on the car because I was working out other kinks. Then I ended up selling my Roadster. I know you can't buy them from Flowmaster anymore. As you can see from the pictures, these are brand new, in the box and beautifully polished. Between the cost of the mufflers from Flowmaster and the cost to have them polished they cost quite a bit. Will sell for $800, buyer pays shipping. (Not sure how much that will be, but will communicate that once I know where they are going and how you want them shipped.)

Thanks,
    Mark

IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask how you planned to weld them into the pipes without destroying the finish? Would they not need to be refinished again so the entire side piped matched after installing? What am I missing here?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great question and one that I didn't think about prior to having them polished! My thought was the welding would be confined to the ends in such a way that there wouldn't be much impact to the entire side pipe. I could definitely see the heat from the welding discoloring a portion of the pipe like the existing exhaust discolors. I would assume that could have been rubbed out with compound that removes the heat discoloration. (can't remember the stuff i used, it was yellow and smelled really bad but worked well.)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you MIG or TIG weld it with stainless wire or rod the weld and surrounding areas can be polished the same as the muffler. I’ve done it both with pipes and Breeze SS roll bars.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff that is good information to have.