Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  403

Thread: John's EZ36R H6 818R Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice stuff. Are those Group N mounts rubber or polyU? And are they really stiff or more on the smooth side, absorbing most of the vibrations?
    Or maybe it's just the H6 that is designed to have small primary and secondary imbalances. Either way that is great it runs super smooth.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Nice stuff. Are those Group N mounts rubber or polyU? And are they really stiff or more on the smooth side, absorbing most of the vibrations?
    Or maybe it's just the H6 that is designed to have small primary and secondary imbalances. Either way that is great it runs super smooth.
    They are Group N mounts so not really stiff. The H6 has no primary or secondary imbalance and there is only a small tertiary imbalance, plus I balanced the internals to ~ 0.5 gram total bob weight!
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

3. Likes Frank818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well everything is back and running with the AWIC and smaller 90 mm supercharger pulley. The bad news is can not find anyone to tune the engine and definitely not before my trip to VIR this month. So I think I'm just going to run a very conservative tune and maybe run 100 octane race gas to stave off any possible knock.

Until I can get it on a dyno and know where the knock threshold is I think it is best to error on the side of caution. This is such a strange and unique setup there is no base map to go from, just have to wing it

5. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    Does your ignition and OX sensors give you A:F ratios to identify lean mixture? Tune a bit fat if you are concerned? I assume your max advanced timing is fixed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    This is such a strange and unique setup there is no base map to go from, just have to wing it
    Why can't you use your 110mm pulley map and guesstimate from there, then drive it a bit and see what happens?
    That's what I did when I changed displacement, CR, injectors and head, all at once. Worked pretty good on first start, but you gotta know your ECU software.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Why can't you use your 110mm pulley map and guesstimate from there, then drive it a bit and see what happens?
    That's what I did when I changed displacement, CR, injectors and head, all at once. Worked pretty good on first start, but you gotta know your ECU software.
    That's what I've done, but still no substitute from real dyno testing. Ignition timing is everything on a forced induction motor. I'm just going to be real conservative until I can get it on a dyno.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    That's what I've done, but still no substitute from real dyno testing. Ignition timing is everything on a forced induction motor. I'm just going to be real conservative until I can get it on a dyno.
    Oops for some weird reason I was thinking you were referring more to A/F tuning. A lot easier to do, but still not peanuts. loll I guess there aren't a lot of supercharged 3.6 on the web, let alone those who discuss their timing map, I understand how difficult it would be to have a start and you probably have nothing at all to refer to.

Let's hope you get it to the dyno sooner than later and yes, very conservative is the best to do, as 1 lousy degree too many could cost all internals.
    Frank