Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  403

Thread: John's EZ36R H6 818R Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by taco20 View Post
    Hey yes you can do the converion in the car. You will need a thin wall socket to get one of the nuts off. Plus the upper gear is pressed on so I just cut a slot in the top gear and cracked the gear to get it off. The nut will push it back in place. I tried the .871 5th gear and ran into the rpm limiter at around 140 mph with my 4.11 final drive trans. I installed the .78 5th gear in mine to stay off the limiter and still push me over 150. Depending on tire size and if you have the 3.90 final ratio you should be happy with your choice. The rpms don’t drop much when you shift into 5th now so I find myself double checking that I shifted.
    With the top gear, do you think it will be possible to get a gear puller in there to pull it off?

I have the tallest final drive ratio, 3.70 so I think the shorter 0.825 will work great for me. Here is a chart showing the gear spreads.

Last edited by Hobby Racer; 08-02-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    With the top gear, do you think it will be possible to get a gear puller in there to pull it off?

I have the tallest final drive ratio, 3.70 so I think the shorter 0.825 will work great for me. Here is a chart showing the gear spreads.

20180225_151025.jpg
    20180225_155448.jpg

It is actually the lower gear that is pressed on. As you can see from my pics there is no real room to put a gear puller behind the gear. Plus with the shaft in the way it makes things even more difficult. Cutting the gear sucks but you have decided not to use the gear set anyway. With your short tire and tall final drive I think you will like the .825 ratio just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by taco20 View Post
    It is actually the lower gear that is pressed on. As you can see from my pics there is no real room to put a gear puller behind the gear. Plus with the shaft in the way it makes things even more difficult. Cutting the gear sucks but you have decided not to use the gear set anyway. With your short tire and tall final drive I think you will like the .825 ratio just fine.
    What tool did you use to cut the gear and in what location. It looks very close to the case so cutting in the teeth gullet seems risky. Also, how did you lock the gear set up to apply the torque to the nuts?
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    What tool did you use to cut the gear and in what location. It looks very close to the case so cutting in the teeth gullet seems risky. Also, how did you lock the gear set up to apply the torque to the nuts?
    I just used a cutting wheel at an angle. I nicked the plate holding it in but not going to hurt anything.
    Since it is still hooked to the motor just shove one of the shift levers in and put it in gear. Then use an impac wrench to take the nuts off. The aren't super tight. The big nut needs to be a thin wall sock other wise you have to grind down the tip of the socket until it fits. I believe it is a 35mm. I bought a cheap one form Autozone that worked fine.