Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  403
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: John's EZ36R H6 818R Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful job with that! The ducting is probably going to get soft with any heat, but the metal bands in it (I assume they are metal) will help it keep its shape.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice setup. Anxious to know the performance as I would do something like this to cool my trans. Wondering if those side cutouts flow enough air for either task, yours or mine. I know some others setup stuff on the cutouts but don't recall any final reports - great / marginal (fan fixed?) / flopped...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    Wondering if those side cutouts flow enough air for either task, yours or mine. I know some others setup stuff on the cutouts but don't recall any final reports - great / marginal (fan fixed?) / flopped...
    If you recall my side vents are quite a bit larger than factory. I expanded them 1.5" and removed all the inside material to maximize their effect. I will definitely give a full report when I return from the track. I will have data logs on the temps to share as well.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

4. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bridgeport Milling Machine Done!

I finished rebuilding / restoring my 1964 Bridgeport Series I vertical milling machine. It looks fantastic! Now to starting putting it to good use.

Next I need to find a smallish engine lathe to complement the mill

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are making me feel inadequate. I've spent the last two weeks working on an old craftsman drill press and a diehl bench grinder. Actually, it would be a huge help to me if anyone here had any information about the vintage of the drill press. I think it is newer than 100 or 150, but still pretty old, maybe 70s or 80s. I've spent two hours looking through pictures of "old craftsman drill press" today trying to figure out how to tighten the motor belt, and only found a single picture that matched this one.

FullView.JPG
    SideView.jpg
    FrontPanel.JPG

It was probably grey originally, hard to tell there was so much grim on it. After I wired wheeled it I powder coated it blue and black (craftsman red makes me think of harbor freight tools).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post

I completed the transmission cooler ducting that grabs air from the driver's side vent and forces it through the transmission cooler. I trimmed the short ends of the fiberglass duct so that the long edges seal up against the cooler body forming a tight seal. The end caps are short and only need a small piece of foam to completely seal the edges. I made two small aluminum brackets to affix the duct to the cooler mount and then routed the hose.

Attachment 131271 Attachment 131272 Attachment 131273

I ended up using a 4" hose made for dust collection systems in a wood shop. I'm not sure about it's heat rating but it is not real close to anything hot, fingers crossed that it holds up. If it doesn't I'll have to use automotive silicone hose, but that's $$$.

Until I get a chance to take the body off again and mold a nice piece to fit the driver's vent, I made an aluminum arm that holds the hose end in place just inside the side vent. That should suffice for now.

Attachment 131275 Attachment 131274 Attachment 131276

All in all I'm happy with how it turned out. I'll do testing next week at my first track event this season. I'll report back on how it works.
    4" SCEET hose from Aircraft Spruce:
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5261

Ed Holyoke

Post Thanks / Like
    Your mill turned out great! Gives me motivation to finally finish mine!

Nice work on the ducting too
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my track days turned out to be a bust. I didn't even get a single full lap in

The issue is that the ECU loses sync with the crank sensor at anything above 4700 rpm. When that happens the motor hiccups, farts and shuts down until the rpm's drop and it can reacquire sync with the crankshaft. I didn't have the equipment needed to do a deep dive on the wiring at the track so I packed it in.

Now I have to rip out all the interior and trace the crank sensor wire back to the engine and find out why this is happening. My guess is that when I rewired the car this winter and extended all the wires, I put the crank sensor wire next to a wire that is electrically noisy and when they all got tightly wrapped together, some noise is jumping into the crank sensor wire. Now I have to unwrap and pull out all the wires to isolate the crank sensor wire to figure this out.

It ran fine in my garage before the event since I never revved it that high. Lesson learned, test the full rpm band BEFORE going to the track. It's tough with a track only car since you can't legally drive it on the road to work out all these issue ahead of time.

So, no data on the swivel oil pickup and no data on the transmission cooler and duct setup until mid August when I have another event.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 07-16-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would run a shielded crank sensor wire end to end, outside the existing harness and see if it is a fix, then do whatever to the wire bundle after you figure it out. Save tearing the bundle down first if at all possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    I would run a shielded crank sensor wire end to end, outside the existing harness and see if it is a fix, then do whatever to the wire bundle after you figure it out. Save tearing the bundle down first if at all possible.
    I thought of doing that but I don't have a spare shielded wire to test with Maybe I'll see if I can put a scope on the signal to ensure it is a noise issue first. As it stands now I'm just guessing based on the data logs from the ECU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice mill! Makes mine look like a toy, but I generally make small things so it works out well. If I could suggest something (which involves you spending some money), get a DRO (Digital Read Out) for the mill. It is one of those things that when you get it you wish you had done it sooner. Takes using the mill to a new level of convenience and makes it easier to perform precision operations.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRWRX View Post
    Nice mill! Makes mine look like a toy, but I generally make small things so it works out well. If I could suggest something (which involves you spending some money), get a DRO (Digital Read Out) for the mill. It is one of those things that when you get it you wish you had done it sooner. Takes using the mill to a new level of convenience and makes it easier to perform precision operations.

Rick
    Already have one! I just need to get it hooked up properly. The readout is maybe 20 years old but the scales are quality glass scales. I am trying to find the wiring pin-outs for the scales so I can buy a newer DRO readout and connect it to my glass scales but I am having a tough time finding the specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I hate those issues! I understand so much the situation you're in.

Is it possible you made a mistake on your wire extension, like bad crimping or bad soldering?

As for not legally driving the car on the road, there is a fix not too far from NY and it's called IN. lolll Actually Art is there! Gives you an excuse to move and register the car there.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Electrical sensor gremlins. UGH. You're sure it's not a bad sensor? Or the sensor is not held down tight?
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Electrical sensor gremlins. UGH. You're sure it's not a bad sensor? Or the sensor is not held down tight?
    I'll be checking all those items, but it ran great up to 6500 rpm redline before I redid the wiring so its a good bet that's it.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 07-17-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Electrical Sensors Gremlins are the Worst!

In chasing down the issue that prevented my car from revving past 4700 rpm, I ended up taking the car down to this state. Ripped out the interior, the wiring, unwrapped the harness etc.. Just to find out that all it needed was a resistor added to the crank trigger sensor. Apparently by extending the wiring harness this winter I changed the electrical pulse just enough that the ECU could no longer lock onto the crank signal past 4700 rpm. Adding a resistor across the sensor leads stabilized it enough so the ECU can maintain a signal lock up through red-line now.

Custom engine swaps and aftermarket ECU's can be a serious challenge

19. Likes DSR-3, Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice the fix was easy. Not nice what you had to go through to find it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Custom engine swaps and aftermarket ECU's can be a serious challenge
    TELL ME ABOUT IT, MAN!!!! And that issue is just the tip of the iceberg in what's possible to happen...

Your interior is VERY VERY clean for a race car. Too clean... what gives? loll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Sensor gremlin vanquished. 6500 rpm red-line restored! Car re-assembled.

Now I have to wait until late August to get back to Watkins Glen for my first real track day this year!

Man, late August and it will be my first track day, not a great year...

23. Likes Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow great!! You managed to fix a very weird issue quite quickly! I wish I would be you.

But why wait eng of Aug? There is no possibility to go there before, or somewhere else?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Oil pickup swing-arm tests are in!

IMG_20200419_153231353.jpg

I ran two full days at Watkins Glen, basically the first real driving I've done this year

The oil pump swing-arm is a complete success! I logged oil pressures and saw no drop in pressure during hard corning or hard braking like I saw last year.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 08-26-2020 at 08:11 PM.

26. Likes Rob T, Mitch Wright, DSR-3, Frank818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tranmission cooler test in!

IMG_20200706_152058941.jpg

The transmission cooler with the forced air ducting worked excellent. Two days of racing and the oil temps never got over 195F! That is the actual fluid temp and not the case temp.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 08-26-2020 at 08:11 PM.

28. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knew the swingarm pickup would work. It’s an interim step between the oem pickup and a dry sump system. Now somebody’s got to break the news to Gator. He didn’t give it much sway.

30. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    I knew the swingarm pickup would work. It’s an interim step between the oem pickup and a dry sump system. Now somebody’s got to break the news to Gator. He didn’t give it much sway.
    LOL! I've been hoping it would work in his H6 because I want to run an NA EZ36 too! But I do still have my doubts that on a long carousel turn or a high banked turn that this will work. It sure is a simpler and less expensive solution. I'd be tempted to add some sort of a scavenge pump to the heads with a feed back into the upper oil pan as insurance. No tank, just straight back to the upper pan.

I see that IAG has made a copy of the Cosworth baffle plate with flaps with one key difference, it doesn't sandwich between the pan and block, it bolts to the block with a slight clearance around the edges inside the pan so oil can run off the sides into the pan. And it has little scoops to grab the oil sliding across the top of the plate and directs it down into the pan. I'm not sure if that idea could work with the EZ36 or not.

IAG-ENG-2087-4.jpg..IAG Baffle 2.JPG..IAG Baffle 3.JPG

OK Hobby get to work producing a few more, I'll be first up to buy one!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 08-27-2020 at 02:50 AM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Good News on the trans cooler. Mine is in also, waiting for September 11. We have a similar set-up, but I put a tee after the intercooler and am running water through mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Hobby get to work producing a few more, I'll be first up to buy one!
    The swivel pickup is quite easy to make. The pan modifications were more involved. If you need one just drop me a line and I can fabricate one up for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news on the success of your pickup project, congratulations!
    I've seen the swing design work on motorcycle engine installs in cars too.
    I hope to need one someday... 'Hating having my car torn down for paint & work, and I need some social distancing!
    Have fun on your track days- jealous!
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    But I do still have my doubts that on a long carousel turn or a high banked turn that this will work. It sure is a simpler and less expensive solution.
    I'm still going threw the telemetry data but I thought I'd share this. In turn 6 "the carousel" at Watkins Glen I pull 1.5g for a bit more than 10 seconds. I think that qualifies as a long sweeper!

36. Thanks Sgt.Gator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hobby: Out of curiosity. What tires are you running? 1.5g is a strong number. Were you on the ragged edge?

Post Thanks / Like
    High banked turns should not be a problem.

39. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Hobby: Out of curiosity. What tires are you running? 1.5g is a strong number. Were you on the ragged edge?
    That was on Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec. An extreme performance street tire, not even a D.O.T. slick! Secret is that turn 6 at Watkins Glen has 10 degrees of banking
    I'll have to look through the data and find a flat corner to get a true lateral G number for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    High banked turns should not be a problem.
    Tested on a 10 degree banked corner so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear of the oil pick up success, FUN. I would guess on a slick you will see 1.6-1.7+ in the Carousel.
    Impressive numbers on the Dunlaps, those are 200tw aren't they? On BFG R1 DOT slicks here at NCM at long sweeping T5, T15 and 16 and the sink hole we would see 1.4-1.6 with 2* banking or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Glad to hear of the oil pick up success, FUN. I would guess on a slick you will see 1.6-1.7+ in the Carousel.
    Impressive numbers on the Dunlaps, those are 200tw aren't they? On BFG R1 DOT slicks here at NCM at long sweeping T5, T15 and 16 and the sink hole we would see 1.4-1.6 with 2* banking or less.
    Yes, they are 200tw, but very grippy. I have a set of Hoosier A7's mounted on custom sized Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels that I have not tried yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    What have you done for block/head/venting/PCV/Catch Can setup?
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    What have you done for block/head/venting/PCV/Catch Can setup?
    Nothing special. The EZ36 only has a vent and PCV on one cylinder bank, the drivers side. I run an open crank case with the OEM vent and PCV running into a 1 qt. catch can that is open to atmosphere via a foam breather. I get about a 1-2 tablespoons of oil in it during a 30 min track session. I only empty the can after an entire weekend of driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing special. The EZ36 only has a vent and PCV on one cylinder bank, the drivers side. I run an open crank case with the OEM vent and PCV running into a 1 qt. catch can that is open to atmosphere via a foam breather. I get about a 1-2 tablespoons of oil in it during a 30 min track session. I only empty the can after an entire weekend of driving.
    That's remarkable! Must be the difference between an NA engine and a turbo boosted engine blowby.
    You may find this NA EZ36 Dyno of interest. Usually they are always a turbo or supercharged EZ 30-36, but this one in NA. By our iWire vendor, iWire's 6 Cylinder Subaru Tune Day with Dyno Pulls:

Another video on the car/swap here:
    https://youtu.be/5IXlKyrXrTs
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 09-01-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made the same power I made on the dyno! 220 rwhp. The ez36 is a nice engine, it doesn't get much love though

47. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 3.6 was just a bit more than WRX? I was expecting close to 300hp, so at least 250whp.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    The 3.6 was just a bit more than WRX? I was expecting close to 300hp, so at least 250whp.
    A 2007 WRX was only 224 hp at the crank, so about 190 whp. The 3.6 is rated at 254 hp at the crank and about 220 whp. That's 30 more hp than the turbo EJ255 engines.

And that's naturally aspirated on 87 octane, not bad I think.

50. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast