FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Brake lines?

I am installing my rear brake lines. I have a Mk IV set up for a Coyote engine, drive by wire gas pedal, which I do no have yet.
    I need some help running the brake line up the tube that has the gas pedal bracket on it.
    I did a quick look at some builds but did not hit on a pic that helps.
    I would like to go behind the gas pedal bracket and up into the master cylinder area.
    I guess I will work on the trunk drop box for now.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Railroad; 01-26-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly where I ran mine. I can confirm it clears the mounting and movement of the DBW pedal. These are the pics I have.

Looking into the DS footbox from the cockpit:

Looking into the DS footbox from the side (before the outside panels installed):

Exiting the bottom of the DS footbox. I later added some RTV to seal around the hole. Note also the picture looks like there's a flattened spot in the line. There isn't.

I don't have a very good picture of the top of the footbox showing the routing of the line to the master cylinder. But it's a pretty simple curve up and over to the MC connection. I put the rear brake MC on the inside so it's a pretty straight shot. Just visible in this pic:

Note I used rigid stainless lines vs. the stock lines. I also used different clips than the provided ones. But neither change the routing. This folder has all my fuel and brake line pics FWIW: http://s867.photobucket.com/user/edw...0Brake%20Lines
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-23-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Whilst we are on the topic of Brake Lines and Flaring, I'm using a 2001 GT Donor with ABS, are these Metric lines?

I'm asking as the Flaring Tools on Amazon are, at least for the in-line tools, either Metric or Inch.

Thanks,

Jonathan
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edwardb. You are a valuable asset to my build. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

On Johnathan's donor build , I am not familiar with the specific lines for the factory car. You might try and look up a replacement line for that year and see what the specs are on the part. Good luck,

I hope to plumb in the last link of hard brake line tomorrow. Now armed with Edwardb's help, I can go ahead with the last stick of brake line.

I am not so organized, I could attempt a build thread, but I did finish the front brake plumbing today and got the trunk floor cut out for the drop box and cleco'd the box in.

Anyone know if the drop battery box will play with the behind the seat cubby hole storage? I have both and seems like they may interfere.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan427 View Post
    Hi,

Whilst we are on the topic of Brake Lines and Flaring, I'm using a 2001 GT Donor with ABS, are these Metric lines?

I'm asking as the Flaring Tools on Amazon are, at least for the in-line tools, either Metric or Inch.

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Hi Jonathan,

I am using a 98 Cobra as a donor. The brake line flares are metric 'bubble' flare. The brake lines and components FFR supplies are double flare. I bought both metric and double flare tool kits from Princess Auto. They are poor quality but I got the job done.

Joe, Ancaster, Ontario

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Eastwood makes some good tools, I'm looking through their catalogue for something compatible with metric bubble flares....
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)

Post Thanks / Like
    The middle cylinder is for my rear brakes. I used the kit supplied lines so the type and location of your bends partly depends on the length of line you are using. For the rear brakes I started at the master cylinder and made simple bends and ran it down the inside of the 3/4" tube. I was trying to keep the lines up against the top tube to make as much room for wiring as possible. I have since relocated the clamp in the photo. That clamp hit the foot box wall but the line is fine.
    For the front brakes I started at the junction between the DS and PS brakes because those bends were more complex. My routing left me with some extra line so I bent the loop to shorten the line. If yo are bending your own lines you don't run into these issues. I ate up a few extra brake lines trying to get my bends and routing correct. Good news is that you can buy these in various lengths at most auto parts stores for about $8 a line.

IMG_2370_zpsnzbc7l3e.jpg

Definitely many ways to run these lines. My battery box and battery groud cable came into play as I was routing the rear lines. Try to think about everything that is going back there before you bend all of your lines.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    All 4 wheels now have the brake lines plumbed. I have tq'd most of the fittings and marked with tq stripe.
    One mistake, do not try to flare a line on the car. I knocked my flaring kit over, loosing one of the double flare post. I should have taken the line off and worked on the bench. Thanks for the pictures and help.
    I also bought 2-3/8 fender nuts to use on the front of the gas tank straps. I had to grind them down to fit, but there will be no struggle to hold the nut on the install. Gas lines next. I have bought the lines. I found a bag of line clamps, but they are too large for the 3/8" gas line. Are they for wiring or just over size for the gas lines?
    Still waiting on the power steering rack from FFR. I talked to Sally last Friday and again Tuesday. It seems the B Jackson trip has everyone back logged. Still no word from the back order guy, unavailable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did mine pretty much like edwardb did too.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to successfully bend the brake lines with the simple hinge type bender, but quickly kinked the 3/8" line. So today I bought an Imperial Bender, http://imperial-tools.com/content/37...B0-tube-bender. This thing makes very tight smooth bends. It will even make 180* bends.
    I was able to get my gas and return hard lines bent for the back half of the car. I only messed up one line. I made it long instead of short after the bend.
    I would recommend this bender for anyone moving up to 3/8" line or someone wanting tighter smoother bends than the $15 benders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my opinion. I think running brake lines inside the actual footbox is a bad idea. Even if it is behind the das pedal. I would also recommend a grommet where is passes through a panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Just my opinion. I think running brake lines inside the actual footbox is a bad idea. Even if it is behind the das pedal.
    What is your concern?

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I would also recommend a grommet where is passes through a panel.
    If that is directed toward my picture in post #2, as I said in the text that picture was taken before I put RTV around the line and plugged the hole. Effectively the same thing as a grommet. The hole had to be that size to pass the tube nut on the end of the where it attached to the MC.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.