FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  114
Likes Likes:  679

Thread: Star Mobile 1 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spent just a few minutes (less than 15) and polished up the top of the radiator this weekend! Just some Meguiar's Chrome Polish and a 5000 grit pad. Now I need a chrome cap...

IMG_8721.jpg

Nice turn out at a local show this weekend...

IMG_8697.jpg

IMG_8694.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

Also would like to share this and get some input (I have posted on facebook too)...
    So a good friend stopped by and visited at a local car show yesterday and as you all know, you tend to have a lot of free time to come up with some wild and crazy ideas at shows, right? I have been challenging myself recently to come up with a back-up plan with regards to easing the exit of heat from the engine compartment. This hasn't been an issue as of yet, but we have not hit three digit heat here in DFW, nor have I taken the car out on a 100 mile cruise with the AC blasting the entire time in that same heat. The commitment of having the star painted on the side of the Engine Side Panels (I know, shame on me) makes removing the side panels really not the best option. Others are using vents, louvers, ports, screens or just openings in the side panels, and I a can only assume they work relatively well. Ultimately, if a nicely CAD'ed and 3D printed custom side vent, strategically placed on the side panel becomes the right option, I will be okay with that. But as this friend of mine and I reviewed the engine compartment, the side panels and how they attach...I think we may have come up with an innovative, relatively simple and (most important) cool solution for allowing an easy egress for the heat. Try and fall in love with this for at least a minute, before shooting holes in the idea...On my car, there are (5) button head screws at the bottom of the Engine Side Panel and attach to the Chassis Wings. Then there are (2) more countersunk screws that attach on the top flange that goes into the side of the Cowl. Our thought is, if you pinned the the first lower attachment point on the Side Panel, then used shoulder bolts on the remaining (4) attachment points and slotted those holes in the Side Panel (instead of maintaining the through holes), you still have the (2) screws at the top into the cowl maintaining the fitment at the Hood. In theory, all of this would allow for the Side Panel to pivot out away from its normal, flush position and allow for ~1" - 1-1/2" of "wing-out" creating a tapered opening from top of the Side Panel to the bottom allowing air to escape out the sides in front of the Door. We also believe that this action could be achieved by a micro-solenoid attached to the Engine Side Panel lower flange and mounted to bottom of the Firewall. With the right wiring and set-up, the power to actuate could be ran off the temperature gauge on the car, meaning when the car temp hit a set temperature, the Side Panels would flare out ever so slightly allowing for more heat to escape. When the car was at a lower temperature or off, the panels would remain flush in their original state. Pics below may show a little better what it would look like. I'd love to hear thoughts or comments on this and remember the top of the Side Panel is remaining in its same location, so the fitment at the Hood is a non-issue. Thanks All!

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8726.jpg
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

2. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought looking at your pictures and your dilemma of venting heat, what if you added a blue mesh in the area I marked on the picture, wont take away from the cars look but would allow a lot of air to get past the engine and out??
    IMG_8725.jpg
    Just thinking out loud.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

4. Likes RoadRacer, JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    Just a thought looking at your pictures and your dilemma of venting heat, what if you added a blue mesh in the area I marked on the picture, wont take away from the cars look but would allow a lot of air to get past the engine and out??
    IMG_8725.jpg
    Just thinking out loud.
    Yes, definitely another great option! Why I love this forum, I have some great feedback regarding this subject both here and on facebook! Thanks all and keep them coming.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/