BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  114
Likes Likes:  679
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Star Mobile 1 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    How do you like the Dakota Digital FFR gauge cluster? I ordered this for my kit so just curious.

Interestingly enough Dakota Digital builds these clusters in my home town (Sioux Falls, SD).
    Really like the gauges. Like the fact that they are all in one face. Keeps the dash clean. The GPS helps eliminate some wiring too.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    Really like the gauges. Like the fact that they are all in one face. Keeps the dash clean. The GPS helps eliminate some wiring too.
    Good to hear...i'm looking forward to it.... 2 more weeks and my build can begin.

Yeah, about a year ago I toured Dakota Digital's factory because I was going to put one of their clusters in my 70 Challenger but then when I was going to order it in spring, COVID hit, they shut down for a while and I never got around to ordering it since. Probably will this winter so I can have it installed before spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 09-12-2020 at 04:26 AM.

3. Likes JOP33, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like their newest all in one "racing" dashboard!!

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd878.htm

It is on the shopping list!

Robert

5. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I decided at 5K I would change out all of my fluids, grease all points & inspect all areas for any abnormal wear & tear. Thursday I completed the Oil Filter & Oil change as well as loading in new plugs. I checked the Steering Joints and did a quick visual underneath. I will spend greater time this week going through everything as I have a Laps for Charity event @ Texas Motor Speedway this weekend and want to make sure something doesn't fail on the track.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

7. Likes FF33rod, HVACMAN, AJT '33, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For some time now, I have been working on a plan to eliminate the need for a Build Board and/or a Flipbook when attending car shows. First, they tend to get dog-eared or damaged in someway, secondly, most people don't interact with them (flipbook) - especially in the times we live in today and finally, still pictures are great, but they really don't let everyone experience the true excitement of some of the milestones of a build. Last week, I did a preliminary run with my new adaptation at a local car show and had a couple hiccups, but all in all it went relatively smooth. This week, I think I have all of the connectivity issues corrected and I am hoping for a much smoother run.

I will try to post a few more stills later on of the workings of the set-up, but it started with a dry cell battery that I mounted upside-down behind the license plate under the trunk floor. The battery is isolated from the cars electrical system (I just did this as a precaution - also some shows require the battery disconnected on the car), so I still have to put a charger on it for weekend use. It powers the 22" TV that will run for up to 16 hours straight. Behind the 22" TV, I have a small CEN-TECH 750 Watt Continuous/1500 Watt Peak Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter velcroed in place. I have installed a weather proof plug that connects just inside the trunk, so the TV can be removed as needed relatively quickly. The other end of the connection, of course, runs to the auxiliary battery previously mentioned. I then have a HDMI cable going to HDMI to Apple Lighting Pin converter allowing for me to connect either my phone or an Ipad (Ipad is my preferred source) to run the video. All of this can be done without electrical hook-up or wifi. As an added bonus, it essentially mirrors my phone (if connected), so I can actually stream sports events to it - if need be! I did make a small sun shield as that really is the only real challenge, is glare off the sun, but ultimately, I still have my Build Board if I need it!

Some different variations of past trunk layouts for shows...
    IMG_9089.jpg

Shop - Star Exhaust.jpg

Here is the new version...
    https://youtu.be/LLzNlzLCKiY

Here is a link to the full length video played in its entirety (it's about 15 minutes long, so feel free to skip through any boring parts)...
    https://youtu.be/H-0Aa9dG0ws

Here are some pics of the components used...
    TV
    22 Inch TV.png
    Power Inverter
    Power Inverter.png
    HDMI Cable
    HDMI Cable.png
    Converter
    HDMI to Lightening Adapter.png
    Last edited by JOP33; 09-25-2020 at 05:46 AM.

9. Likes 33fromSD, RoadRacer, JimLev, HVACMAN, j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered mounting the TV to the inside of the trunk lid? That would overcome your shading problem and people can stand up watching it. And when you close the trunk, it is stored already!

Not sure if the trunk lid could take the weight though....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
    Have you considered mounting the TV to the inside of the trunk lid? That would overcome your shading problem and people can stand up watching it. And when you close the trunk, it is stored already!

Not sure if the trunk lid could take the weight though....
    Yes I have and my concerns are the same as what you mentioned. I have even thought about creating an extension that would allow me to place it around the car at any given time. The reason for this, is that I have noticed at most shows, the standard set-up presentation is to back-in, in many cases what I have found is that people either don't want to or just don't take the time to walk to the trunk of the car. In these cases, I could actually situate the tv on the Engine (although not while hot). The hood would provide some shade and I think it would grab people a little more. I will definitely work on cleaning up the display of the tv a bit. Ultimately the car gets plenty of looks, but I really enjoy talking to people about the process of the build and the video gets them to start asking questions. There are two things that going to Car Shows have truly taught me to respect more...First and foremost those that actually built or work on their vehicles. I pulled in to Cars & Cigars a few weeks ago (in an affluent neighborhood) and there were several Mclaren's - I joked that it looked like a Mclaren Dealership - I asked the owner what was the biggest difference between his and the one next to it...he quickly answered "the color." I asked another (younger) owner, what was latest thing he'd done to the car, to which he answered back, "I had it cleaned and detailed yesterday." The second thing, is to respect those that actually drive their cars to and from the shows. There was a car at a show a few weeks ago backing off a trailer - an '84 Fox Body Mustang with 7 original miles on it! It had either seen very little road time or a significant amount of trailer loads and unloads!

12. Likes j33ptj, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a fun opportunity this weekend...Due to COVID, our local annual Air Show changed the venue to a Drive-In Show. Meaning this year they only allowed 3500 vehicles each day to park (much like a drive-in movie). So they actually had a parade of vehicles, floats, etc. drive thru the parking lot and I was asked to take part. Ended up being a great show and a lot of fun, but as you can imagine C19 affected many opportunities of photo ops with planes, pilots, etc. as there were no static displays this year. I still managed to get few pictures and a GoPro video from the dash, of the parade. It is definitely true what they say, "If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes!" - watch the video, you'll get my point!

Star Mobile One Parade Day...
    Star Mobile One Parade Day - 2 10.18.20.jpg

Star Mobile One Parade Day - 1 10.18.20.jpg

Mayor of Fort Worth, Betsy Price...
    Mayor of Fort Worth Betsy Price 10.17.20.jpg

Mayor of Arlington, Jeff Williams...
    Mayor of Arlington Jeff Williams 10.18.20.jpg

Fort Worth Mounted Police...
    Fort Worth Mounted Police 10.18.20.jpg

Parade Route GoPro...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hk5KYdVy6s

14. Likes FF33rod, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats some seriously aggressive music to stare at a horses tush.... wait!!!! Now these are good times!! LOL!!!
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

16. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    Thats some seriously aggressive music to stare at a horses tush.... wait!!!! Now these are good times!! LOL!!!
    So there is a bit of back story to all of this...
    Up until Thursday, we were to be carrying a Thunderbird Pilot. On Thursday, they said due to COVID, they were going to limit any interaction with the public and the crew. With this being a two-seater (and me driving), I was definitely not going to be selected to deliver the Mayor and her husband on Saturday (the Mayor and his wife on Sunday). So Saturday I got in line for the parade... (2) Fort Worth Off-Road Police Detail (on MotorX Bikes, with lights), '69 Convertible Camaro (Mayor & spouse), a Tahoe (her Security Detail), (6) Fort Worth Mounted Police, me, then (13) Corvettes (from a local Corvette Club), some clowns, Chic-fil-a Cow (not on Sunday though), a couple Concrete Cowboys (High Rise 4 x 4's that probably saw more four-wheeling on that grass Saturday than they have ever seen), a few motorcycles, Boyscouts & a float. All of us, in a line driving through the parking lot @ ~ 3mph...with no music! Just looking like a line of idiots searching out an open parking spot, oh and waving at folks!

So on Sunday, I came a little better prepared, when I started through the parade route I just cranked the stereo in the car through the entire pass - at least we had music that day! The '69 Camaro didn't make it as he blew out the transmission on the drive home, the motorcycles didn't make it back either - as for any of you familiar with motorcycles, understand what a challenge it can be riding a street cruiser, on (rough) grass, @ 3 mph. The Chic-fil-a Cow - well, doesn't work on Sundays, the clowns were...let's say extremely experienced clowns and the pass through the parade route on Saturday apparently just wore their a**es out - so they didn't come either. Needless to say, the parade grouping got trimmed down on Sunday! Still a whole lot of fun and a great experience though!

For more photos...

https://twitter.com/hashtag/alliance...twgr%5Ehashtag

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Alliance...=hashtag_click

These photos courtesy of Chris Hanoch...

FWAAS-026.jpg

FWAAS-023.jpg

FWAAS-025.jpg
    Last edited by JOP33; 10-21-2020 at 05:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero traction, still no burnouts. That’s it. I’m coming for the man card.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero traction, still no burnouts. That’s it. I’m coming for the man card.
    Will gladly relinquish my Man Card if burnouts is where we are going to draw the line ...at my age I tend to get burnt out versus doing burnouts! LOL!

20. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere.
    Or on the tarmac....

23. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hardtop went back on with the change in weather (I am almost certain it will be 95° here next week)...only took me an hour and half this time to get the cap, roadster windshield off and the hardtop back on and bolted up!

Hardtop Back On.jpg

The last few times I have driven the car, I have noticed it pulling to the right when I apply the brakes moderately to aggressively. I can't imagine the rotors would be warped, but I guess it's a possibility. Before I started chasing a bunch of rabbits, I thought I'd reach out to ya'll and see where you think I need to start on diagnosing this? BTW, air in tires is correct, no leaks in system and fluid is full.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    If your tires aren't directional, swap side-to-side and see what happens?

Any potholes affected alignment?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

26. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If RoadRacer’s suggestions don’t yield an answer do you have a dial indicator gauge and a magnetic holder to check the rotor runout?
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

28. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. Normal potholes, nothing crazy and when the brakes are not being applied the vehicles drives straight down the road with no varying. The tires are not directional, so I will try that. With regards to the checking the runout, that may be a bit more challenging, but I think I can come up with something. Just to confirm, the runout will confirm whether the rotor is "out of round", I guess I should also check for flatness on the rotor surface as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. Normal potholes, nothing crazy and when the brakes are not being applied the vehicles drives straight down the road with no varying. The tires are not directional, so I will try that. With regards to the checking the runout, that may be a bit more challenging, but I think I can come up with something. Just to confirm, the runout will confirm whether the rotor is "out of round", I guess I should also check for flatness on the rotor surface as well?
    Could be a piston issue in the caliper or air in the brake line.....I would try re-bleeding 1st.

31. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today marks the one year anniversary of Star Mobile One landing at it's final resting place, "The Star-ma-hall" in Haslet, Texas…After over 1600 hours of my time, the time of many GREATLY appreciated friends & family members, another 900 hours from 121 Rod & Restoration & 60 additional hours from Leo's Upholstery, SM1 touched-down. It has been a different year for all of us...but from my perspective, in spite of it all, still an extremely enjoyable one! As the car surpasses 7000 miles later this week, there are definitely a few key elements that I have stressed in my conversations about this car over the last year...

- "This car was built to drive" - "Cars with round tires were meant to drive & trailers are for vehicles that need to be fixed!"
    - NO it is NOT a Prowler - Nuff said!
    - It was built not bought - Yes, I have a list as long as my arm of people that advised, helped, opined, labored & invested blood, sweat & tears into this build as well & I am extremely grateful to those that helped & am quick to share that appreciation whenever possible, my point being, "it's not a vehicle I just picked up last week from a guy off Marketplace and I didn’t just finish a few mods to the engine!"

I want to offer a special thanks to ALL the members of this forum for your input and continued support. When potential builders either reach out to me or see me at shows, the first thing I mention to them with regards to the FFR Kits is the vast knowledge that is here within this forum at their fingertips.

With that all being said, I couldn't have asked for a better past weekend with the car! I had the opportunity for the car to appear on shirt for a local car show, then it was also used on all of the placards & trophies, I won a metal print of the magazine cover the car was on in a silent auction, walked a way with first place trophy in my class & then the Cowboys pulled off a win! Life is good...at least for a few days! I hope ya'll are staying safe & are able to have great Thanksgiving!

Link to Anniversary Slideshow...
    https://youtu.be/q92oLtndw7s

Shriners Christmas Car Show T-Shirt...
    IMG_9604.jpg

Star Mobile One @ the show...
    IMG_9637.jpg

Trophies & Plaques...
    IMG_9748.jpg

One for the road...
    IMG_9749.jpg

Star Mobile One Metal Print...
    IMG_9754.jpg

Getting things in place...
    IMG_9774.jpg

33. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’d love to be sentimental with you. But instead I’ll be consistent!!!!!!

burn outs for distance!!!!!
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

35. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's posts like this that help keep me going!!! Thanks and congrats Jamie!
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

37. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! Just wanted to share this...

If you have an opportunity this Sunday (12/27/20) you may want to watch or tape the NFL Pre-Game on Fox, 11am-12pm (CST)…rumors of a Star Mobile One sighting are in the air! Take care & stay safe!

39. Likes FF33rod, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw the pregame show on Fox, the wife and both stopped and said we know that car. How cool is that, congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know how many actually saw the entire commercial from Bleacher Report on Twitter...

Hope this works...

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...669825024?s=20

42. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Likes peterh226, wrp, HVACMAN, Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo, very cool Jamie!
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

44. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Jamie, well deserved

46. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Jamie! Mr. White was probably one of the most feared men in the NFL during his time.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

48. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Jamie,
    Your hard work is paying off!

50. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know how many actually saw the entire commercial from Bleacher Report on Twitter...

Hope this works...

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...669825024?s=20
    Congratulations. That's very cool.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

52. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to update...and maybe I should preface first by saying, I am not so naive to not recognize that many of you may not support one or all of the following...the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL, the Players, this car or me...I am fine with that - I am just presenting the information.

Voting for Ford Hall of Fans will begin January 3rd and continue through February 1st. You can cast your vote daily @ http://www.fordhalloffans.com .

Thanks

Randy White signing dash of Star Mobile One...
    https://youtu.be/oVREK5xYFHw

Additional pics from the day...
    IMG_9949.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_9995.jpg

54. Likes RoadRacer, AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, I’m definitely not a Cowboys fan but anyone willing to drive around with a star on their car deserves to be inducted. Huge fan of the car and the work you put into it. Remind us again on the 3rd when voting begins. You have my support.
    -Steve.
    Last edited by Straversi; 01-25-2021 at 05:03 PM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

56. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Voting will begin tomorrow after the last Nominee is announced (11am-12pm CST). You should then be able to cast your vote (DAILY) @ http://www.fordhalloffans.com thru February 1st.

Thanks to ALL!

58. Likes peterh226 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Voting will begin tomorrow after the last Nominee is announced (11am-12pm CST). You should then be able to cast your vote (DAILY) @ http://www.fordhalloffans.com thru February 1st.

Thanks to ALL!
    Vote, early an often, as they say.
    -Steve

60. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to ALL!
    Done! I have three different ways to vote everyday!! GOOD LUCK!!
    Last edited by AJT '33; 01-05-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

62. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is so awesome, Congratulations!!!

64. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Voted. Good luck!

I laughed at this - what a chore.. "Winners must attend Super Bowl LV, 2/7/21. " lol
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

66. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Voted too!! Good luck!

Robert

68. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Voted again. Sorry to see that you're competing with a cheerleader. Good luck with that!
    James

70. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ford Fans site seems to be down right now. Too many Hot Rod lovers overwhelming the server?
    I'll try voting again later.
    Keith HR #894

72. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast