After reading the great posts on getting a FFR car legal in the Peoples Republic of California, I gathered up all my paper and headded out to my scheduled appt. at DMV yesterday morning. They called me to the counter and I told the clerk I needed to register a special constructed vehicle under SB100 protocol. The lady was very polite and said she had done a few of them in the past so it wouldn't any problem. I had to fill out a couple forms telling dmv what I paid for the car, the motor, and any other accessories. I just listed the invoice amount for the car, the cost of motor, trans, and rear end. Everything else had been taxable when I bought it.

I told her what kind of plate I wanted and what I wanted on the plate. It will be a black plate with yellow letters (1960's style legacy plate) that says SKOSH 33. My late wife was born in Japan and her nickname was Sukoshi which means "tiny or little bit"; so the car will be "Little 33".

The DMV clerk would not give me a SB100 number saying they had recently changed the rules to require a brake/lamp inspection and a smog check first. She gave me a one day permit to drive to the inspection stations and told me to come back when I had them completed. I was a little peeved but stayed nice and took off. I called the state smog police and was told DMV had it wrong. They could not give me a smog test without the SB100 number. Soooo, back to the clerk at DMV who went back to her super and decided to give me the SB100 number afterall. My number is 2017127 which means they have only issued 127 permits for these kind of vehicles this year.

So now I have the number and will need to make an appt to get the smog test and brake and lamp test. Then it's back to DMV to finish up the process.

Finally, I had to pay them $2,000 in sales tax on the cost of the kit. Fair enough, I guess..

I will post an update when I get through this.