As you may know I upgraded my MkII over the winter. I have now run 3 autocrosses so have a few thoughts.
- The car is more stable than it ever was. It gets through turns in a rough section much better w/ one exception. At turn exit, full throttle accel I get wheel hop if the macadam is rough. Not sure the solution yet but am trying different settings on the QA1 DA shocks. May need to go to rodends on the LCAs
- Ride on the street is better. It is really nice when I installed 300# springs vs the 400# FFR supplied. The 400# are back in now that AX season has started.
- I am using the brakes that came w/ the salvage parts. Vented rotors means the donor was a V8 car. The brakes are very good. Surprisingly the pads that were in there were pretty good. HPS 5.0 were only a slight improvement. But the best part is this; NO pad knockback means I have the same brakes all the way though an autocross run. On Hoosier A7s, w/ the solid axle, the pedal was always lower at the end of a run. Also the front to rear balance would shift toward the front as the pedal dropped.
- Overall the IRS is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.