Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carbon Fiber Spats?

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Fiber Spats?

I've been looking for carbon fiber spats from my MK 4 with no luck. Anybody out there know where I can find some?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you talking actual carbon fiber or carbon fiber print on a vinyl product of some sort?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Carbon fiber would be nice but carbon fiber print could work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Long ago and far away FFR offered them but I think I got one of the last sets around 2007. You could try a WTB in the classifieds on both forums to see if you can turn up a set that somebody has on a shelf gathering dust.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend getting or making parts specifically for a Mk4. Even if you find older Mk3 parts, they aren't going to fully cover the area. The bodies are slightly different. I know. I initially used the Mk3 patterns I had for Mk4 #7750. They left a little bit of the edge still showing, but I figured it was OK. Sure enough, the first paint chip was right in the spot where the Mk3 pattern didn't fully cover. I made new patterns by tracing the areas on the Mk4 and starting over. From the inside corner where the door meets the body to the very edge of the fender flare. To a point at the bottom, and across the top a bit higher than the door latch. Used those for #8674 as well. Note also if you're really particular, the two sides are slightly different. I have a pattern for each side. I use XPEL Ultimate film. It's available in whatever size you want on eBay and probably other sources. Easy to cut and apply. Granted, doesn't look like carbon fiber. In fact it's basically invisible. But gets the job done. That area takes a beating and would drive without something there.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-19-2017 at 06:41 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Long ago and far away FFR offered them but I think I got one of the last sets around 2007. You could try a WTB in the classifieds on both forums to see if you can turn up a set that somebody has on a shelf gathering dust.

Jeff
    As so few of these exist, and as rare as they are, a new unmolested set would be worth a lot. Sort of like a garage find original Cobra, Any one have any idea, hundreds, thousands????

Post Thanks / Like
    I have....maybe had a set I didn't use. I trimmed one to fit and didn't like the look. They might have been thrown out during a move. I'll have a look in a week or so when I'm back in Ont. could be another "pay it forward moment"

Post Thanks / Like
    When I started out I didn't think finding spats would be much of a problem. Now I see I am not alone. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Di-Noc carbon fiber film which comes with 3M adhesive. many places on line and comes in colors and thicknesses. was very pleased with the ease of installation, handled the compound angles nicely. not the best picture.....of the spats....but you get the idea. DSC_7920.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Metro Molded Products. I just purchased some clear spats to protect the paint from autox cones. They also have carbon fiber look spats listed. The link should take you to the Cobra parts list pdf. I just called with the part numbers.

https://metrommp.com/images/Catalogs...eplica_cat.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find on the website ej95cobra Thanks for sharing
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build