Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  28
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The turbomacncheese build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    you took the bait.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a Tactrix cable to delete some of the codes for TGV and such?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang. I go away for 5 months, and you start nipping at my heels. Crap. I gotta fix the Aston, the Bug, the WRX and then get back to winning the race!
    Last edited by Ipassgas; 12-13-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/PjIGawBcp4o

Never mind the beard and the hair.

5. Likes Shawn818c, Bob_n_Cincy, DSR-3, AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    congrats on reaching the go-kart milestone!!
    Factory Five 818c #456

7. Thanks turbomacncheese thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much very remarkable, as so many people have gone before me. I really need to stop procrastinating on the motor mounts and maf sensor now.
    I DO need to say that the brake booster is perfect, though. I didn't mash the brakes because wifey was with me, but it felt just like the pedal on my other cars. Once I got out of the driveway, I forgot all about it. SUPER happy with how that turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    What? "Not much very remarkable", you say. How can you say that when your power brakes worked? This is the first 818 with a working power brake booster, isn't it? I know that you researched, and researched, and tried, and errored (is that a word?), and persevered until you found what works. All the rest of us had to get used to pressing the pedal hard compared to our DDs, but you did it! Congrats!

Next, I think you should create a separate thread about adding power brakes so others can follow. Show the parts needed, how to install and whatever else would help.

Oh, and another First: First go-kart video at night.

Again, congrats on taking us up another step to power brakes.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

10. Thanks turbomacncheese thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, i suppose that's something. I did make the pdf already and shared it here. Not really much to add outside of that, as I already did my best to make it complete. Maybe a new post with the result update would be in order, though.
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 02-03-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, i finally got to the bottom of the maf sensor problem. It does indeed only fit the intake tube in one direction. So it wasn't installed backwards. The intake tube though, that's another story. It doesn't fit equally well both ways, but it DOES go on backwards. I flipped the whole thing around and it fired up. But the family was waiting on me for dinner so between hurrying up to get inside and slapping myself simultaneously on the back and the forehead, I didn't bother to look at the lights on the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the go karting. We actually timed up pretty well.

1st Start - 2/13/21

1st Drive - 4/3/21
    (had to wait on rear axles, ordered after 1st start)

Bus parking lot driving as it is not street legal

1st Track - Road Atlanta 6/12/21
    Made it 2.5 laps and a significant oil leak actually caught fire during a Red Flag for another guys crash

2nd Track - Virginia International Raceway 6/28-6/29
    Made it the first day and had tons of fun building up the speed. Lost a piston an killed the motor first session of day two.

4S9A9913.jpg
    Good times while they lasted. Body optional!

4S9A4230-2.jpg
    Fist in the air is the universal "oh crap, that is likely expensive" signal to the other people on track.
    Last edited by jforand; 07-22-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    . . . And slapping myself simultaneously on the back and the forehead,
    lol

15. Thanks turbomacncheese thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chose to buy the $180 Tactrix OpenPort instead of the $40 knockoff because I'm slowly learning that it doesn't make sense to buy tools I need to fix before I can use them to fix my projects. I can't say whether skipping the import tool was a good idea, but getting the Tactrix was definitely a good idea. Connected on the first shot, pulled the ROM down on the first shot, took all my changes on the first shot, and uploaded to the ECU successfully on the first shot. Started right up, no check engine light, no abs light, no cruise control light. Gotta say, that feels really good. I think there is a lightbulb for the airbag lamp that we can remove, right?
    20210805_184811.jpg
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 08-05-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is a lightbulb for the airbag lamp that we can remove, right?
    20210805_184811.jpg
    Even easier, if you connect the B3 wire from the large center connector to ground it will turn off the ABS light.

Screenshot from 2021-08-06 08-06-30.png
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 08-06-2021 at 07:13 AM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

18. Thanks Shawn818c thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have my abs plumbed in and the light is off. It's the airbag light I need to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my abs plumbed in and the light is off. It's the airbag light I need to deal with.
    Oops, you need to run +12V to B18 in the same connector. Look at the pic I posted before, its there.

21. Thanks Shawn818c, turbomacncheese thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see. I also didn't realize the back of the cluster has to come off to even see the light. The bulb I THOUGHT I would pull is actually for the battery. Weird how some of the bulbs are accessible, though.

Is there any other advantage to running 12V besides not risking a few broken clips?
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 08-06-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any other advantage to running 12V besides not risking a few broken clips?
    Not really. By running +12V your just faking the cluster out to think the air bag is connected and working fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Wish I'd known a year ago. Right now I'm about sick of wires, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up taking it all apart at some point in the future anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turns out it takes a lot of skill to go from a want to an idea to a thing (which has only increased my admiration for most of you!). My wants exceed my ideas, and my ideas far exceed my skills, at least with my current tools. I'm spending way too much time trying to figure out how to make certain things work the way i WANT them to, so I've put the stock intercooler and motor mounts back on. I'm also going to roll back my ideas for the interior. Pretty well committed at this point to stripping it down after driving for a while and shaking it out, which will give me time to figure out what I'm going to do for the wife's hallmark truck request. Plus I'll be out of the rental house by then and have room for my tools and real space to work.
    But the dang shifter. I figure driving a car means shifting gears a hundred times a week or more, and if I don't fix it now I'll be mad a hundred times a week, and i don't need that kind of negativity on a ride. My immediate plan is to turn the kit shifter around and press out the stick so it isn't bent the wrong way. That means I'll need to reverse the motion on both cables. If I can't get that to work I'll spend the money on one of the generic ebay shifters. Then I'll move on to shortening the cables as a couple others have done, otherwise if shortening the cables doesn't go well, I'll do as most and buy them. It won't take me long to spend more money on the attempt than on the cables, so I'll need a fair bit of luck and the ability to call the effort dead (not my strong suit).
    I'm the meantime, here is my progress on the crank. So far, I think it's gonna work. Just need to pick up some tiny rod ends so I can figure out what the selector bracket needs to look like. Once I have that, i can probably sketch it. The large bracket will be steel, the cranks will be alunimimium. If I can't make this work, I'll buy a solution need I need to move on.

https://youtu.be/sPc9IH6Fv8c
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 09-26-2021 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I did. Mocked it up in wood and then machined the parts in aluminum. Add a few extra holes for adjustment, so you can play with shifter throw vs effort. My 'L' bracket also reversed the throw, since my shifter needed that.

001DE23E-F131-482E-8DB3-8BF64579D3CE_1_105_c.jpeg

Rick

27. Likes turbomacncheese, Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW. That's really something, how similar they are!

Post Thanks / Like
    Same basic thing here (My wood mockup was far more primitive though). I also integrated in a lever for the reverse lockout. It is simply bicycle brake cable and it runs up to a collar on the shifter itself. I just reach down with two fingers and pull the collar up for reverse.

shift linkage.jpg

This was early on so, NO the sheetrock screw is not how I am securing the reverse lockout lever and the spring roll pin is fully engaged on the lever arm Currently I have flipped the plastic FFR shifter around backwards so the cables come out the rear. I ended up shortening those to tighten things up a bit. It can get a little confusing on reversing or not revering the push/pull actions.
    Last edited by jforand; 10-01-2021 at 09:50 AM.

30. Likes DSR-3, turbomacncheese liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it! I'm not gonna lie, I wish I'd seen either of those setups before I started mine. Designing stuff is NOT something I've ever been good at, and I spent a LOT of hours getting this far. Thanks for sharing.

Was it difficult to shorten the cables? I've seen that a couple members did this successfully, but it seems a bit...fiddly?
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 10-03-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Was it difficult to shorten the cables? I've seen that a couple members did this successfully, but it seems a bit...fiddly?
    Depends on the tools and equipment you have. I figured I had nothing to lose to try shortening them. Worst case was I mess them up and order new ones, which I would have done if I didn't try shortening them. I put some details on my build page on how I did it (post #66). I would say not terribly difficult, but a bit fiddly. I used a lathe to make/modify some parts and a small hydraulic press and silver brazing. If you are about to order new shorter ones, then cut one of the cables off near the end and see how it is made up and how to shorten it. Probably many ways to do it. There isn't a huge pulling load on them so it probably doesn't need to be as strong as the factory connection. But you certainly don't want them coming apart.

Rick

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have leftovers from shortening mine (I think I do). I could send a piece if you want to see what it will demand of you to try first. You probably saw my posts on doing this. Some fab work required beside just chopping things off since you have to make your own new end peices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks gentlemen. I'm pretty sure that you are exactly the two I was thinking of. The silver solder rings my bell, and Art, well, you're Art, lol.
    I will definitely not be using these cables, so no harm if i mangle them, and not a lot of boats out here in the desert so i can't imagine anyone needing 20ft cables so no money lost there.
    I did build several cncs since I talked to you about them a couple years ago, Art, (which is why my parts aren't lopsided or crooked and the bearings fit) but I'm down to 2 routers, a laser, and a couole printers, lol. None of them suitable for making the required endpieces, i think. And no lathe yet.
    I think I'll just cut one open and see. When I was a kid I took things apart just to see how they worked (I'm pretty sure everyone here did) so this will be no different.
    First, i want to get everything else sorted though. I picked up a new endmill and i want to try steel on one of my routers. It would be real nice if i could cut that part in house.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 10-08-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234