BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Blogs, I don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Blogs, I don't get it.

I don't get Blogs.. I really don't get blogs when you have a forum to use like we have here.
    Splain it to me.
    A blog is just a diary , right?
    Seems to much info spread out in too many places..
    Or maybe I'm just an old fart and don't get it.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont get it either, somehow I'm subscribed to one here and I keep getting annoying emails everytime some one posts to it......sort of a pain.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, a blog is like an online diary.

It also makes a really good build journal.

Imagine a way for all of your build threads to be linked together, and that is a function the blogs fill perfectly. Think of each blog post as it's own thread. People can respond to your blog post like it is it's own thread, and they don't have the issues associated with a "build thread", that frequently skew off into tangents. Since all of your blog posts are tied to each other by date of publication, they are a natural for a build journal.

I think blogs in the context of this site are cool, and something that will be appreciated the more current builders use them. No need to get your own domain and picture hosting services, it's all right here, for free.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I never did one before, but I'm trying to figure it out as I go.
    Thanks for the explanation David, that's what I'm trying to do, so I can journal it and provide a single link to it.

MPTech Building my Factory Five Roadster
    your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Al,
    a blog is what we used to call a "column" in ye olde days of something called a "news-paper". As a side note, the interface for this newspaper medium was thin fibrous substrate made from cellulose-type materials that then displayed text in the form of letters painted onto the substrate. To navigate the different pages, instead of clicking links, you actually had to manipulate the screens by a maneuver called "turning the page".
    Perhaps this video can clarify what I mean:

Seriously, ladies and germs, a blog is little more than an opinion column in the hands of the people without the benefit of being funneled and filter through a newspaper. Where this material used to have to go through an editor or two to be corrected and filtered, today's blogs do not have that filter. For better and for worse, the digital revolution has made easier to publish your opinion when you feel like it.

As far as having forums like this, that is okay if you want a dialogue. On the other hand, if all you want is to is keep a dairy without the interference of dialogue, then the blog is the the way to go. Keep in mind that "blog" is a contraction of "web-log", or logging that is published via the internet. Logging has been done for ages to keep a running account of things that might benefit from being remembered. Logging will also be important many years into the future, as evidenced by the (b)logs kept by Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.
    Last edited by Magnus; 07-16-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right. Blogs are diaries and people can post comments about your blog entry. Then other people can post comments about people's comments about your blog entry. It's very much different than a discussion thread on a forum where a person posts a question or comment or diatribe and then people post their answers or questions or comments and other people post their...

Ah...whatever. It's just another bit of technology we simply can't do without.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Yes, a blog is like an online diary.

It also makes a really good build journal.

Imagine a way for all of your build threads to be linked together, and that is a function the blogs fill perfectly. Think of each blog post as it's own thread. People can respond to your blog post like it is it's own thread, and they don't have the issues associated with a "build thread", that frequently skew off into tangents. Since all of your blog posts are tied to each other by date of publication, they are a natural for a build journal.

I think blogs in the context of this site are cool, and something that will be appreciated the more current builders use them. No need to get your own domain and picture hosting services, it's all right here, for free.

HTH,

Spoken like a true computer geek, I love it Dave!
    Frank