Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  225
Likes Likes:  220

Thread: Edwardb’s Gen 3 Type 65 Coyote Coupe #59 Build: 5,000 Mile Report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
    Looking at this guide wheel and bracket you fab'd, which obviously works just fine, it looks to me like a simpler solution would be a 90 degree bracket that would bolt on with the latch u-bolt, outside of the inner aluminum panel, looks to me like an easier way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tabor View Post
    If you make set like that, please make another set for me - or share the CAD file!

Thanks,
    Dave

Gen III #17
    I never claimed my solution was the only way. As mentioned, mine is loosely based on versions I saw for previous gen Coupes. I don't see any reason why using the hood latch U-bolts wouldn't also work as an attachment point. Probably needs to be from steel versus the 1/8" aluminum I used. There's quite a bit of stress pushing against the wheels. Not sure a 90 degree bend in aluminum would be stiff enough. You would need to make sure you're offset far enough from the latch mechanism in the hood. It's obviously necessary for the wheels to be rolling on a smooth interrupted area of the hood underside. You'll also need to build in some way to adjust to get the wheels in just the right place. Someone suggested to put slots where the wheels attached. At least for the wheels I used, that wouldn't work. When tightened enough to not move in a slot they wouldn't turn. So I have slots on the inner part of the bracket and easy to adjust there by sliding the whole assembly.

Last edited by edwardb; 02-07-2022 at 03:02 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

2. Likes cgundermann liked this post